Close

Shake a dead chicken at it! THUD's Avatar

First Day of welding

It was stick welding and I suck at keeping a bead. Also starting the weld
    Attached Images Attached Images

just takes practice... keep at it!
    current: 93 sw2m/01 civic si/98 civic sedan/98 civic coupe turbo/02 dakota 4x4/70 vw beeltle/00 golf tdi/03 pathfinder
    past: 97 sc2a/00 astro/02 sl1m/90 civic sedan/86 prelude/93 sl2a/85 jetta coupe/85 samurai/88 e250/90 civic hatch/85 crown vic/85 audi 5000S/89 daytona/85 300ZX turbo/82 plymouth caravelle/86 olds calais/88 grand am turbo/84 accord hatch/80 civic 1500S/

Routinely gets his peepee wet dynonacht's Avatar
    Persistence is key.
    2001 red Sc2m R.I.P.
    1998 gold Sc2m (Goldylocks) Ms2 turbo construction
    1995 white Sc1.5m N/A (Becky) R.I.P.
    1999 navy blue Outback 2.5m (un named) DD

Yep, practise. I see some promise there. You will get it. You're already better than the welder I essentially replaced at work, and that guy was laying out worse looking welds with a MIG and charging money for it.
    6G75 swapped 2000 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi Limited
    Turbo OM617/4-speed manual swapped 1977 Mercedes-Benz 300D

The instructor just showed me where everything was and walked away lol its only a monday class...

I think that's about how most of us started. cant say mine were any better first few times. STICK with it you be ok. see what I did there?

Quote Originally Posted by 98sl2fast View Post
    I think that's about how most of us started. cant say mine were any better first few times. STICK with it you be ok. see what I did there?
    Lol yup thanks all any advice

Where you welded the two plates together, looks like you didn't have enough amperage, that's why it kept sticking on you. Also when you weld with an arc welder listen to the arc, when you get a solid state buzz without alot of spatter you are a good distance. Its somtines easier to hold the rod at a ~22 degree angle and let the weld flow too you instead of holding your rod perpendicular to the material. To get the arc started try sliding the stick acroos the material like striking a match, quick slide until you hear it arc then close the gap till it buzzes.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

Quote Originally Posted by siris View Post
    Where you welded the two plates together, looks like you didn't have enough amperage, that's why it kept sticking on you. Also when you weld with an arc welder listen to the arc, when you get a solid state buzz without alot of spatter you are a good distance. Its somtines easier to hold the rod at a ~22 degree angle and let the weld flow too you instead of holding your rod perpendicular to the material. To get the arc started try sliding the stick acroos the material like striking a match, quick slide until you hear it arc then close the gap till it buzzes.
    I completely understand that wow yea the weld in the left is when I started ti figure it out but class ended so yea