Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James and Rach's Full Service Truck

Kinda bored so I figured I would start a build thread for our truck. The wife and I picked up a '64 C10 about a month ago. Definitely a rough truck, but we bought it just to have one to use around the house. Of course, I can't leave well enough alone, so there are already plans for it. For now, we are in the process of relocating the fuel tank. Long-term is a 6.0/4L60 swap. We aren't rushing any of this. It currently has a straight 6 with a 4 speed. Rocking powdercoated steelies on Coker Tires. We are leaving those alone for the time being. We love the look of the whole truck, so the only things getting touched are going to be mechanical bits. Anyways, enough text, bring on the pics.

Totally leaving this on the side of the truck. Hoping that it will bring me some work to help pay for it. It has worked so far. Already got back $1000 worth of side work.

Starter shit the bed on us 2 weeks after we bought it. lol

The wife standing next to her truck. She really pushed for us to get this truck. I am a lucky guy. We already used it to go acquire some parts for her Impala. Can't wait to get both vehicles running again so we can roll to car shows together.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking truck! You guys have a nack for sweet rides, congrats.
    I'll be following this one as well.

-RuD
    TOY: 95 SW1 Turbo 5 spd DOHC swapped - Sold.
    DD: 04 ION Redline (stock)

Resident Douche Bag and Proud PlastikAvenger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bag it. For the love of god.

I already expressed my love for you about this at the Dragon. I love it.
    1995 Saturn SW2: Crushed
    1995 Saturn SW2: Lower Than You

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is awesome, will definitely keep an eye on this for updates.
    1993 SW2 - Slow and Low

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. It is definitely long term, but there most certainly be modern power, and almost certainly bags. The impala will have bags for sure. I am gonna be working on the tank relocation tomorrow, so hopefully there will be more pics.

James

Resident Electromotive Expert importsdontlikeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is awesome!

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man. We got the tank temporarily mounted. Gotta take it back down to run the fuel lines and filler neck. Pictures!

Had to take the diamond plate steel out of the bed so we could get bolts out of a cross rail under the bed. What a pain in the ass! The steel was spot welded in 20 spots, so it took a while to get it out. That bitch was heavy!

Still has the wood bed underneath the steel plate, but it is rough! Will restore the bed later. Not in a huge hurry for that. Can get pretty expensive.

Tank temporarily hung. Gotta bring it back down for routing of lines and clearancing a little more of the bed cross rail.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlastikAvenger View Post
    Bag it. For the love of god.

I think he has children with her...so she's already been 'bagged."
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We haven't really messed with this in a while. We are focusing on the Impala. We got a good deal on a 4L80, so I went and nabbed it. Gonna rebuild it and use that in the truck. I figure a 6.0L/4L80 swap will make this truck a good tow/haul rig for the Saturn. I plan to use this to pull my car down to Road Atlanta some time next year. The wife is going to pay for a performance driving experience at Road Atlanta for my anniversary gift. Can't wait to put this truck to use!

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me likes!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to suggest the 4l80e, the 60's love to 'splode with a little extra power or weight thrown at them, glad you made the right choice. Those things will hold 700+whp with a converter and a shift kit. It should run real good with the 6.0, and you have tons of options for power adders. A cam and some valve springs would give it some more get-up-and-go for cheapish.

annnnnd if you want to make a bunch of power for a little more money there's the sloppy mechanics build list:

"How to make 500 wheel with a turbo LS quick and dirty version:

since we go over this once a day.

aqquire junkyard LS engine
    140 dollar valvesprings, simple camshaft
    install 80lb siemens deka injectors in stock intake
    add 044 external or walbro400 internal fuel pump to vehicle
    3/8ths fuel line is fine
    install any chinese 70-80mm turbo ($220-550, and 50-60mm wastegate
    $60-120)
    use megasquirt or stock pcm and tune it or have someone tune it on pumpgas and methanol... wham 500-600whp"

Enjoy it, I hope to build an LS car or truck some day.
    98 SL2m - Intake, Raceland coilovers, daily driver
    94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
    94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is awesome man. I would love to do that build, but I am sure the wife would slaughter me.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't be hard to find a 6.0/4L80e combo already mated together. Don't mess with the 60e. Keep the stock cam for the nice low end and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
    1996 SL2  MP7

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already have the LQ4/4L80. My wife built the LQ4 for her Impala before we got the LS2. I am mostly just waiting on me to get the free time/money together to rebuild the trans. Then this swap will probably begin. I am going to be using the LQ4/4L80 in this one using all truck accesories and probably the truck intake. More torque for the pulling.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are pictures of the motor going in this truck in my wife's Impala build thread. I will swap them all over to here when I get time. For now, here is the link to her build page.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for an update. The current combo sorted out for the truck is now going to be a 6.0 LQ4 mated to an NV3500. I am going to be keeping the truck a 5 speed! I am super excited about this. Shopped around for a long time trying to find a transmission and finally came across one for $225 on Ebay. Already ordered the majority of the swap parts, including but not limited to: Clutch, flywheel, master and slave cylinder, transmission mount, and throwout beaing. Pilot bearing will be sorted out next week since I will be getting the transmission on Saturday.

Speaking of Saturday, I will be getting the fuel filler situation finally sorted out. Pics will be uploaded after progress is made.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome man, excited to see some progress on this thing.
    98 SL2m - Intake, Raceland coilovers, daily driver
    94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
    94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeSL2 View Post
    Time for an update. The current combo sorted out for the truck is now going to be a 6.0 LQ4 mated to an NV3500. I am going to be keeping the truck a 5 speed! I am super excited about this. Shopped around for a long time trying to find a transmission and finally came across one for $225 on Ebay. Already ordered the majority of the swap parts, including but not limited to: Clutch, flywheel, master and slave cylinder, transmission mount, and throwout beaing. Pilot bearing will be sorted out next week since I will be getting the transmission on Saturday.

Speaking of Saturday, I will be getting the fuel filler situation finally sorted out. Pics will be uploaded after progress is made.

James
    Hopefully the nv3500 will be good to you. 6.0s originally came mated to the more heavy duty nv4500.

I have a nv3500 in my truck with the biggest engine they put in front of one...4.8 liter. They mostly came with the v6 trucks.

They are only rated for about 300 ft lbs but I have also seen one of these trans behind a twin turbo 8.1 liter big block for a year before the owner just wanted a different trans.

I'm not sure what your expectations are of this trans, but if you expect it to shift and act like a sports car transmission or even a 5speed Saturn trans you will be disappointed

It's not a bad trans at all, just doesn't like a lot of abuse. Mine is finicky, and a noisy sob.

But I'm glad to see you went 5 speed! Excited to see some pictures of the install!
    1996 SL2  MP7

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No L18? You sir, made Baby Jesus cry!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, nope. No big block. I think 364ci is all we need to haul the plastic Saturn around. At least I hope so anyways. Also, there will be pics later when I get to a computer.

James

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast