Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

97SC2 running/brake light 2057 Bulb SOCKET failed -compatible with ? years/models

Tried searching the forum before posting, but came up with nothing relevant.

My 97S C2 has a brake/running light 2057 (dual filament bulb) socket which has failed as determined by troubleshooting with my DVM.

I have determined from trolling the net that 1997-2000 wiring harnesses are identical for the S Series coupes.
    There is no part number for just the bulb sockets as they were never offered individually for sale.

I found 1 full side harness online at 1 gm parts site for $100. Don't think so.

My question is: Which taillight housings across the entire S series (and maybe L. and Ion) share the same bulb socket on a rear harness?
    I cannot find an equivalent socket anywhere.

The bulb socket and the taillight housing are as shown in the attached pictures. They are not standard GM style as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know which years Saturn used this bulb socket configuration and across which models of S cars and possibly other cars?

I'd be grateful if a few of you someone could help me out by opening up a taillight on their S coupe, sedan or wagon taillight, maybe even an L car and Ion, and checking for a match, then posting year and model back to the thread so I can build a matrix for my trip to the junkkyard. The yards are not anywhere near me so I would like to be able to call ahead to see if they have the Saturn model years I need.

Thanks
    (Anyone with leftovers is another option)

Thanks -- Pix attached

97 SC2 2057 SOCKET 2.jpg97SC2 Tail light Housing for 2057 park_brake bulb socket.jpg97 SC2 2057 SOCKET 3.jpg97 SC2 2057 SOCKET 1.jpg
    Last edited by derf; 01-07-2017 at 05:20 PM. Reason: forgot pix

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, a mechanic friend in Oregon just verified that the L series has the standard GM 120 degree 3 tab connectors.....

Would really appreciate it if someone with a mid 2nd gen Sedan/wagon and 3rd gen coupe could pop out the screws and take a peek to help me narrow down my search.

I'm about to start pounding craigslist all over the country, but I expect to find more than 97-2000 SCx's, so your assistance is greatly appreciated.
    -------------
    For those who are wondering "why doesn't he just buy a different dual element socket and solder it in" -- I have kept this car a close to stock as humanly possible for 20 yrs -- and I am trying to continue this as long as I can find the parts to do it with.
    ------------I may be a noob on the forum, but i share the passion for Saturns or I wouldn't be driving the same car I hadn't even paid off when I finished graduate school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So do you just need the socket?

I'm not positive on this, but I think they are pretty universal across most brands. The twist lock type connection.

I think they are available at most parts stores in the help/dorman section.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed I just need the socket.

I included the above pictures to indicate exactly what bulb socket I seek. It is NOT the standard 3 tab GM style arranged 120 degrees.
    The standard GM 2057 bulb socket (or 1157 for that matter) will not mate with the taillight housing opening.

I have checked
    RockAuto
    Partstrain
    Partsgeek
    Summit
    GM online parts dealer sites
    Advance
    Autoozone
    NAPA
    ebay
    As much of the internet as I have had time for (there are other competing priorities in life)
    ----------------------
    It has no GM part number--it was only offered as part of the rear lighting harness so I cannot track it down by part number/cross referencing
    I'll take a used harness given the opportunity.......as long as it fits. The one NOS I located was $100....nope
    ----------------------
    The L cars use a standard 3 tab configuration as noted above.
    The 2nd gen coupes used the 4 tab config in my pictures

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could pull a taillight off a 2nd gen sedan and a 2001+ coupe and check the configuration so I know what I'm looking for on craigslist and in the junkyard.

I know it all seems a bit bizarre but it is my reality -- I want to keep the car stock if I can. 255K on the clock.

Just asking for a little help, fellow Saturn lovers.

Derf

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had good luck with getting odds and ends from Doran Ott.

Modesto, California
    Get Directions

Ott's Auto Sales

(209) 602-9394
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2003 BMW e46
    1997 Saturn SC2 Turbocharged - Build Thread
    1998 Ford Ranger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, HNIC

I'll follow up there.
    Last edited by derf; 01-10-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: can't spell

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some looking around and I agree with what you've found. I also agree with your wanting to keep it correct and stock. As they say: "It's only original once".

I think it's likely that this harness was provided by a supplier, and the part was built to a specification, so it's not a standard part. I would follow SC2Sick's lead, and failing that, see if you can obtain the part from a junkyard. I wonder if it's repairable? I've seen crazier stuff repaired in vintage cars that have long been out of production.
    93 SW1, 95 SW2, 98 SW2, 97 SW1 -- all stick. Wagon hoarder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The continuity tests were originally open for several of the socket contacts to the harness.
    Now most of them read close to 25 M Ohm, which is essentially open but shows electrical conductivity partly intact.
    This leads me to believe the issue is in the connections at the bottom of the socket which have been encased in epoxy. I suppose I could melt it down, clean out the epoxy, resolder the connections and re epoxy it....kinda messy and might melt or distort rest of socket body during heating....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,

Off to the junkyard tomorrow.
    Found a yard with 17 candidates --- mid 90's S cars.
    Some listed w model, some not.
    Why bother typing half a$$ crap into your inventory?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice n muddy at the yard. Some pretty beat vehicles but surprisingly most of the Saturns were not overly picked over.
    I manually determined in 5 minutes that all SLx/SWx taillight sockets were not only different from SCx taillight sockets, but different generations of said aforementioned models have different sockets from each other.

What a fustercluck.

So I did confirm that the bulb sockets I needed had to come from a 1997-2000 SCx.
    There was ONE. The taillights were pristine so I took them too along with both harnesses. Doubt I'll have a chance to pick over so many dead Sattys in one place ever again.

Parts Galore
    somewhere on 8 Mile road W
    Harper Woods MI

Dirt cheap.

Haven't hooked em up yet to test but given there were no signs of impact to the vehicle, I don't expect any issues.

11. Likes SC2Sick liked this post