Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight for comfortablitliy

So I know this may be the worse place to ask but I want to know the groups feelings on removing my interior. I have a 1999 SL2, I keep leaning towards keeping the interior, but with it being an all motor build having the car on a diet is always a good thing. What is the feeling on removing all the interior but the front seats, center console, and dash VS keeping the full interior? Please keep in mind I will be keeping the radio and upgrading to some better speakers but that is it.

Get off my lawn.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you racing it?

If so, what sanctioning body/class/rules?

If not, don't do it.

3. Likes ZombieSatty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be short it will be the weekend warrior and i want to hit as many auto cross and road courses as I can. I have a daily beater to get around in so it can chill when I am not beating on it. I have considered using some sort of sound deadening paint in place of the carpet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 95 SL2 that weighed high 1900s fully gutted, 2 seats and a stereo

It was miserable to drive on road. Everything was loud, it was hot, smelled bad and got lots of questions. Yes it was quick, but a turbo full int car is faster and more comfortable.

There is weight to be lost, and every lbs counts. But to be frank, it wasnt worth it. I was a dumb young kid. I am still dumb, but I have learned to enjoy heat, ac, sound insulation and not having a headache while driving

Dont recall why I had the pass seat. Probably some high school age'd vision of winning drag races. I am willing to bet I had the most stripped street driven car on this forum for sometime. Not a title to be proud of, but looking at the pic: it wasnt that ugly haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get off my lawn.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rtbahler View Post
    To be short it will be the weekend warrior and i want to hit as many auto cross and road courses as I can. I have a daily beater to get around in so it can chill when I am not beating on it. I have considered using some sort of sound deadening paint in place of the carpet.
    What classes will you run? Have you autocrossed before?

HDPE events or Time Trial?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth I gutted my wagon. Left the carpet because I didn't feel like pulling the seats out. Left the door cards because I have kids and don't want tiny grease covered hands because of the window mechanism. I will eventually remove the carpet, but I will probably Bedliner the floor boards.

It rattles less now with all that plastic shit removed.

I wouldn't consider the comfort level decreased, because it was a pile of shit to start with.

Back story on my car:
    Turbocharged
    Coilovers
    17" rims with 50 series tires
    No a/c
    No p/s

So it wasn't a Cadillac to start with.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Idea on the class system in autocross, and i have no idea where to start, but any direct that can be given would be great. I will be keeping my creature comforts like the whole dash, AC/Heat, Radio and even the center console. My idea is i guess closer to having nothing behind the drivers seat but everything from there forward will still have all my creature comforts (AC, Heat, Nice Radio, Center console to hold my drink, full dash)
    Last edited by rtbahler; 02-09-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Get off my lawn.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figure out your classing before you screw yourself (which you probably have already done with the motor)

There isn't a whole lot to be gained stripping the car behind the rear seats. Carpet is probably the heaviest part by far, but it also makes the car quieter. IMO, not worth the tradeoff unless you are gaining a competitive advantage.

I've driven a Saturn that was fully gutted. Its not enjoyable on the street at all. And you look really ridiculous in your gutted car when you get spanked by quiet and comfortable stock Civic or Miata.

11. Likes ZombieSatty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly what he said ^

Basically it boils down to this:
    -Bolt ons/maximum stock allowances on motor = STS or lower. (Decent chance to be competitive-ish with an Scar)
    -You do anything beyond stock allowances between the throttle body and he header, and you go SM or higher. (Virtually no chance at being competitive with an Scar unless you add well sorted boost.)
    It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are not wrong there I am sure i screwed myself in the sense of being in a competitive class, but as long as they let me run I don't care. It's not like the Turd will every pay me back with more than just smiles per hour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While getting out there is half the battle and joy. It's no fun to get smoked every event because you wanted to have a gutted interior and slightly too high of compression
    It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My car is classed SMF cause no cat, but you can still learn a fuckload from driving these cars in autocross. it's a joy to drive.

16. Likes ZombieSatty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I live about 5 hours away from THe Road America course and they looks like a ton of fun as well. I do want to take back what i said earlier with this being the wrong place to ask, you guys have convinced me to keep the interior, and know I don't even know why i wanted to strip it down.
    Last edited by rtbahler; 02-24-2017 at 01:41 PM.

18. Likes ZombieSatty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll be much happier tbh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, evilplastic has a breakdown of what everything weighed when he gutted the interior of his 92 SC. http://evilplastic.com/p92-wgt1.htm He drives an atom now, so I guess he's not one for creature comforts.

I think you're doing the right thing, if it's track-only that's another thing.
    93 SW1, 95 SW2, 98 SW2, 97 SW1 -- all stick. Wagon hoarder.