Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Rem & Repl: 97SC2 Rear Glass --How to ????

Well the new rear glass should be here soon. I have pretty much finished smashing and vacuuming glass out of the back of the coupe.

I managed to find a new one through one of those auto glass distributors. Comes with molding attached; after having my 95 SC2 windshield replaced. I have no idea how you'd do that job otherwise.

Anyway, since it comes w trim, I need to get the old stuff off PLUS create enough room for the installer to get the new one in place.

Because the rear glass on the 2nd gens dips below both the front of the trunk lid and the edge of the rear quarters, I'm thinking I will have to remove those three parts to make the replacement possible. Oh and my rear speakers and back deck since it butts up against the rear glass.
    (I'd rather not leave the dismantling of my car to someone else. Kind of protective that way.)

1) Anyone ever done this replacement?
    2) Anything I've forgotten? (I tend to forget shit)

I could find close to nothing on the WorldWideWubaDub about replacing Saturn REAR glass

Thanks
    1997 Saturn SC2 M/T 255k DD
    1995 Saturn SC2 M/T 233k given to nephew, just got parked fully functional -- slated for turbo
    2008 Saturn Vue XR A/T 103k 3-5-R then totalled at 5 mph
    1992 Saturn SL2 M/T 42k traded in to to get the 97 SC2 above
    ----------
    A ten year old girl on the street corner
    Stickin' needles in her arm
    She died in the dirt of an alleyway
    Her mother said she had no chance
    No Chance....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I believe your in uncharted territory, aside from professional glass installers.

Do you plan on tackling it yourself? Or are you going to pay someone to do it?

If diy, I highly recommend removing anything that's in the way. If you don't install glass for a living it can be a huge pain in the ass. It's one of the only jobs I farm out, personally.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having the glass professionally installed, but not many people know jack about 20 yr old Saturns, so like you said, I want everything in the way to be removed by me, not him, so he can do a proper install.

Maybe I will try to do a writeup on the prep
    1995 Saturn SC2 M/T 233k given to nephew, just got parked fully functional -- slated for turbo
    ----------
    No Chance....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the rear glass has been located shipped and installed. (Safelite)
    Given the state of my ankle (broken fibula not tibia), I was not in a position to even attempt thinking about considering the thought of the concept of a DIY.

What a bizarre design.

The side trim pieces that meet the front and rear pieces of glass run the entire length from the base of the rear glass to the base of the windshield. They are solid and painted on the "top", but the channel that starts in from the top is rubber gasket/trim material.
    Deep inside the trim piece's channel, it is attached by screws (for once, NOT Torx) along its length. You must quickly pry and hold open a gap in the molding at each screw to get a long Phillips bit on the screw to remove each screw. You must work quickly to avoid permanent distortion of the rubber on the trim.

Once the trim is off, the tail lights must be removed and unpluggeed.

Don't forget to remove the leftover attachment tabs from the rear defroster

Inside the tail light cavity, remove 3 10mm bolts to partially uncouple each rear quarter from the frame and bumper cover that wraps around under the quarter from the rear. There are only 3 in there.

Remove 1 10mm bolt from the top of the quarter which is wrapped around near the top of the trunk area.
    ----

Strategy:

Prop trunk half open
    Lay bead of adhesive for glass, flexing the top of the quarter near the rear lower corner of the glass to create clearance for an adhesive tip to lay down the bead.
    It was 50 F outside. I would not recommend trying to do this in the UP of MI in the dead of winter.

The glass is then
    ---lifted over the half propped open trunk with suction holders
    ---slid at a shallow angle under the front lip of the trunk
    ---slid back up to engage the top seal off the windshield trim onto the frame (glass still suspended away from the adhesive)
    ---the top of the quarter on each side pulled away SIMULTANEOUSLY from the overlap region to allow the glass to come straight down on the adhesive as much as possible when inserted
    ---the glass laid down as evenly as possible onto the adhesive bead , while still holding the upper quarter out of the way, with the base of the rear glass coming to rest on and be vertically positioned by the two stops on the frame.

Once the glass is on, the side trim is attached to the car quickly, starting at the door openings and working back to the rear glass, on both sides. Time is of the essence as this trim laterally supports and positions the sides of the rear glass. THIS is where an experienced installer is priceless. The glass must have been laid dead center for the sides to seal.

Once away from the door trim, the gasket material must again be pried open and the screws inserted. This is no easy matter as the screws are at wonky angles and if you do not hit the hole with the screw tip, the screw often drops into the channel and must be retrieved w a magnetic tool. Additionally, prying open the gap to insert the screw naturally forces the entire trim piece to move upward, so you need another hand to push down with sufficient force to keep the trim hole aligned with the hole in the frame. Work back toward the rear of the glass, set the glass, then reattach the trim leading to the base of the front windshield.

Once fully installed, ensure the trim is properly overlapped where it meets the rear window, and that the inner flap of the trim is folded down into the cavity along the sides of the roof to ensure the rain channel will be functional as one.

Don't forget to reinstall the new attachment tabs from the rear defroster on the new glass to the wiring in the car.

Pain in the ASS.

I REALLY wanted to take pictures of this, but I was quickly called into duty for disassembly and reassembly and couldn't stop to take pictures.
    Last edited by derf; 02-26-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    ----------
    No Chance....