Close

User Tag List

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided to say eff the factory ignition and just install the EDIS I picked up from Sam years ago. I thought it looked complicated, but it was rather simple and only 2 wires to/from the MS. Install is 90% complete, right now I'm fighting a stuck crank bolt so I can't remove the stock crank pulley to install the pulley with the trigger wheel. Otherwise I'm wired up and MS2 is set for EDIS.

Everything is mounted temporarily, I plan to move the EDIS unit off of the rad mount and to the firewall. I had tried to setup the coil in the stock location, but the plug wires were too short. This is how it's set up currently.

As soon as I get the trigger wheel mounted I'll dive straight into tuning, hopefully all goes well this time.
    98 SL2m - Intake, Raceland coilovers, daily driver
    94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
    94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

2. Likes importsdontlikeme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fingers crossed
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EDIS is fully hooked up and running. Super happy with the results so far. Time to do some wiring clean up and address some other issues with the car to prep for the new engine.

Sorry for crappy video
    94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
    94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

Resident Electromotive Expert importsdontlikeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Activate EDIS multi-spark. It would do multiple sparks under 2k (or maybe its 3K). You may not notice any difference but it definitely won't hurt anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where'd you get IGN signal from without the trigger wheel?
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2003 BMW e46
    2001 Saturn SC2 - Forged with everything but boost - FOR SALE PM FOR MORE INFO
    1998 Ford Ranger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok cool. I will change it to multispark.

I do have a 36-1 trigger wheel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading > newbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took it for it's first real drive last night. I need to do some fuel table tuning as it was rich everywhere, but I think first I will re-install the 720cc injectors and get a base tune with those.
    Only had one little issue while driving: I got onto an entrance ramp for the highway, mashed the gas, and it went very lean like the injectors shut off. Hoping it was just a fluke, it only happened once.

Anyone have a good idea of where I could pull tach signal now that I don't have a stock ICM?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never posted pictures of the trigger wheel, so here they are:

And the wires running back through the stock ABS wire hole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The center of the missing tooth should be centered with the TDC mark on the crank pulley. With the way you have it set it will be running about 10 degrees advanced in limp mode...not sure about you actual setting and if you can set the trigger offset.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, when the engine is t TDC the missing tooth is aligned there. I followed the instructions online to make sure it was all set properly. That was a picture after the car had been running.

Fabricated a new battery mount today. It was sitting in a large marine battery box centered in the trunk taking up a ton of room, and I'd never be able to keep a spare tire either. Made this setup, now I just need to make a tie down and it will be good to go.

It's a tad snug getting the battery in there, but I'd rather have it that way than all loose. I'm very happy with it so far. Next thing on the agenda is to install the 720cc injectors and get it tuned on those. After that it's time to hit the JY for some missing bits, then yank out the drivetrain and get the good engine ready to drop in.

14. Likes importsdontlikeme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always installed the Missing tooth centered to the TDC mark on the crank pulley. I suppose it doesn't matter as long as the crank trigger is 9 teeth back when the crank it at TDC.

As far as getting a tach signal, I just used the OEM ICM. I cut the terminals off that plug into the coils and then taped them up so that they wouldn't arc on anything.
    The saturn uses a bastard 5000 pulse per mile tach.. I never found a tach converter that was compatible. They are all 4000ppm or 6000ppm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhh ok, got you now. I just installed it like I pulled it out of the box. It seems to be all functioning correctly.
    I'll have to wire that bit back in, I don't like not having a tach while driving. Gotta find a way to hide that all, maybe I'll pull it back into the cabin...

No real updates as of yet, I've just been daily driving the car for the past few days. Got the tune a bit better on the street via Auto Tune, now I just need to dial in WOT, and low RPM/high load so that I can rev it from a stop and not run super rich.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Car is up and running pretty well besides almost shredding a belt on the dragon a few weeks back. AJ snapped some pics so I'll toss em up here.

Working on installing a larger throttle body and tune it, then it's about time for the tear down and a bit of work before the good engine goes in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Likes SC2Sick, importsdontlikeme liked this post
    Resident Electromotive Expert importsdontlikeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always count on Joe having his cars sitting perfectly

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man, I'm pretty satisfied with the exterior for now minus a few touch ups that it needs.

I decided to get some stuff done after work today. Went ahead and finished the install on the 3" GM throttle body and adaptor to the stock manifold. Fit is a bit tight and I had to drop my ignition could down so I have them temp mounted until I come up with a good solution and probably some longer plug wires for the 3rd and 4th cylinders.

I will also need to find a 3.5" to 2.5" adaptor for my intercooler piping.

I'm getting sick of the car being slow and I'm really wanting to boost the stock engine so I'll probably rip the car apart soon before I do that and blow the motor that's going to get rebuilt and slapped into the sedan lol. Don't really need much else for the built motor, just waiting on some parts to show up and I need to order a new water pump and it should be good to go. Then I can acquire some slim fans, reinstall the intercooler and start sorting piping. Not where I'd like to be yet, but it's some progress.

21. Likes importsdontlikeme liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good Joe, keep up the progress.
    '02 Mustang GT Convertible - 435rwph Kenne Bell Daily
    '03 F250 6.0 Powerstroke Lariat CCSB 4WD - Tuned Rice Eater, Hauler
    '99 F150 5.4 XLT 4WD - Hauler and Winter Beater
    '88 Mustang GT - Abandoned - Parted Out
    '97 SL2 - Back-Up Daily - SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just purchased this firewall harness plug, going to do my wire tuck the correct way this time and put my HVAC box back together so that functions properly. Going to be fixing up a lot of wiring that I'm not fully satisfied with so it should be a lot cleaner in the future. Thinking of de-pinning all of the useless stuff from the stock harness since I already cut away a lot of things and at this point I'm running full stand alone with no plans to ever go back to a stock harness. More updates soon as I finally have some cash to get this turd going again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got the appropriate MLS head gasket for the sleeved and bored bottom end. Now I think I may be in search for a new head as the bore for the lifters is looking not so great. This is the first time Iíve pulled out the lifters to clean and inspect them after having the head off of the engine for months. Anyone have a certain answer about that?