Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Saturn Belt lengths with and w/o AC/PS

It is confirmed that the 67" 1/8" in. belt fits perfect on the DOHC w/PS w/o AC.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

part # 665k5 works on my 95 sc2 w/o air conditioning and with p/s
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1462679&l=ac3636cf69&id=1110 467390

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adamkob32
    Ok finally I got a belt, and I have a cunt hairs clearance between the belt by the tensioner and idler lawlz. Anything shorter I wouldn't be able to get it on, anything longer and it would touch itself at the idlers.

The proper belt for,
    DOHC (Smooth Idler) wo/PS w/AC is K050644, 64.4" length 5 rib.

--Adam
    actually, it would be 64.5 inches. unless that's a napa belt. the guy at autozone only had the 64.5" belt in his database. it works, but like you said, there's barely any clearance. "a cunt hair" is an understatement.

in fact, under wot, there's no clearance, and my belt proceeds to start to eat itself. so, I came up with the solution to all of our problems..

use an oem belt tensioner pulley as an idle pulley. I have about 1/4" of clearance now.

so...:

for ac, no ps, using an oe belt tensioner pulley as an idler pulley, the correct belt length (for dohc) is 64.5". p/n 645k5 at autozone.

this will work without fail. and will give all the clearance in the world
    96 sc2m - whore.
    - $3.7k to go till completion..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2015 update:

1. The grooved idler pulleys seem to be getting scarce. Dayco 89543 appears to be the only one presently offered. It is expensive. But it is also metal, and has a regular 6203 bearing pressed-in, so it is repairable. The original, (ACDelco) 21007458 seems to be in short supply now. Junkyard pulls are always a (diminishing) option.

2. BEWARE: There are 6 groove pulleys with flanges on both sides being sold as suitable for the '91 SC. (I seriously doubt these were used on that car, but I never had one.) So you might think "I'll just grab one of those, should work." A member on another forum was recommending it as being ok.

They will not work without some fab/modding, if at all. They are wide. The inner flange will rub, requiring a spacer, and the plate that the bolt head bears down on will touch the pulley, so you have to fab something there too. And you need to get thicknesses right to get everything aligned... might require a longer bolt and that alone might be a showstopper as there's little room in there as it is. It's not worth it, use your mad fab skillz elsewhere. (Even if you do all that and succeed, you now have a plastic pulley with a non-replaceable bearing.)

(I got one because it was dirt cheap so I gambled... it's a nice paperweight.)

Six grooves = no good:
    FOUR SEASONS 45976
    HAYDEN 5976
    ACDELCO 1520677

... and probably many others.

EDIT:

3. If the 55.1 belt seems to be holding the tensioner too close to the stop, a 57.0 is the next stock size up in a 5 rib belt. Found on Astra, Chevy Aveo and Cruze, Pontiac G3, also listed for 91 SL. e.g. Gates K050570

Dayco makes a 56.5 belt: 5050565
    Last edited by 85HP; 10-19-2015 at 07:37 PM. Reason: belt info
    93 SW1, 95 SW2, 98 SW2, 97 SW1 -- all stick. Wagon hoarder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12