User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: HOW TO: DSM turbo manifold on a Saturn

im sry sir . i didnt do real well in highschool to much drinking and lack of caring.And i cant seem to find an addon for firefox for puncuiation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jesus, that was obviously an over exaggeration. clearly i do not know much about welding. we'll see how it holds up. I was under the impression that a weld is stronger than the actual material, for whatever reason. For example, you can drill cast iron pretty easily, but drilling a cast iron weld (or so I was told) would be a bitch. That's all I know. Based on that bit of information (or mis-information) I assumed that if anything, the stuff around the weld would crack but not the weld itself (or I guess the weld could separate from the metal). From what I understand, this manifold can be heated to 1800 degrees and then be dropped in water without cracking.
    2000 SL2 5 speed, boosted, meth injected, parted out...268whp & 254wtq (stock pump maxed out)..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy
    a weld is not a weld stainless im asme certified is much easier to weld with the correct equipment to weld cast iron u need to get the entire manifold cherry red then weld it the get it hot again and slowly cool it over a peroid of 24 to 48 hours to relive stress in the metal not trying to shoot you down or anything but i wouldnt bet on it staying together for extended period of time all the cooling all of the expansion and contraction of the mani with temp changes will put alot of stress on the metal if you do decide to arc weld it they make special rods for welding cast iron

Which is what we did. I know that your not saying i did it wrong. so thats not what i meant. I agree you just have to know the materials and what you got to work with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the weld should have more tensil strentgh compared to the metal it was laid upon so i theroy if you where testing a plate that u welded and what say u where stretching it the metal should brake before the weld

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the weld should have more tensil strentgh compared to the metal it was laid upon so i theroy if you where testing a plate that u welded and what say u where stretching it the metal should brake before the weld
    Of course, that says nothing concerning the non-welded material in the HAZ.
    [16:02] Ferrari166mm: so you&#39;re finally getting into real cars.<br />[16:02] adamkob32: I&#39;ve just had enough of racing a 100HP nutsack
    <br /><br />

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DasPirate
    Of course, that says nothing concerning the non-welded material in the HAZ.
    wut i dont understand what ur saying

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he's referring to the material that's near the weld, that could separate.
    2000 SL2 5 speed, boosted, meth injected, parted out...268whp &amp; 254wtq (stock pump maxed out)..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK guys simmer down. The truth about welding cast iron or any cast metal is solely based on how porous the metal has been cast in. Moderen casting methods is far better then what they did say back 30 years ago. if you get an old manifold say off of a 55 chevy and try and weld it with anything other then brazing your waisting your time. the pours of the metal tend to crack with a standard weld. Brazing basicly fills the little voids between the actual metal with a filler and that holds it together. Standard "arc/TIG/MIG" welding melts the area together. If the metal is to porous there is nothing to hold onto reguardless or how much or what type of filler is used or how you cool it down. This is why I have a TIG and brazing set ups. Right tool for the job.
    If your having trouble welding stainless you need to PM me with whats going on. Stainless in general is one of the more easier things to weld UNLESS its thin pipe. then you should backpurge or use a special sheilding flux. (it helps on the back side of the weld to keep oxygen off of it.

C02 as a shielding gas sucks. 100% argon is the way to go.

Tim
    Collecting parts soon bitches soon........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

co2 mix is only for mig and mild steel. pretty much everything else gets 100% argon. Still co2 mix is only about 25%, the other 75% is argon.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.Bretz
    co2 mix is only for mig and mild steel. pretty much everything else gets 100% argon. Still co2 mix is only about 25%, the other 75% is argon.
    yuppers and its sooooooooooooo cheap compared to pure argon around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I jsut filled my argon last week. It cost $30 to fill an 80 liter tank.

It costs about the same for the mix ~$25 for an 80 liter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a welding expert, my friend does most of the welding. That CO2 tank cost us $20 to refill.
    2000 SL2 5 speed, boosted, meth injected, parted out...268whp &amp; 254wtq (stock pump maxed out)..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you use the right equipment one can weld anything. I used to build dual exhaust manifolds out of 49 chev 235 manifolds. I stick welded them but I used the right rod and pre/post heat. If you pre/post heat like was said before and use a nickel rod there is little chance of failure. I Too am AWS Certified for Tig Mig and Stick. The manifold will hold together till it doesn't that's all there is to it. I am thinking about cutting up my ecotec mani to build a turbo mani NBD it will work just fine if the proper steps are taken.
    [img]http&#58;//i206&#46;photobucket&#46;com/albums/bb75/philiprodda/DSC_0014-Version2-1&#46;jpg[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a.) you guys are talking about not running a gasket actually working better than running a gasket. it'll work fine if both flanges have been machined, if they are some billet flange that was welded to the manifold then you'll need a gasket. welding the flange warps it ever so slightly, forcing you to run a gasket.

b.) buy a TIG and learn. it's fun and you can weld just about anything.

c.)stainless is easy to weld. Titanium and Copper suck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why in the world would you want to weld copper.. in a car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PlasticPower8500
    why in the world would you want to weld copper.. in a car?
    I don't. I wouldn't want to weld it period, because it sucks to TIG weld. its very difficult. not just in the car forum, I'm saying in general. I worked at a machine shop for a while and the owner taught me to weld when I was 17, and he always talked about welding different materials. so I asked him what was the hardest to weld. and he said Ti and Cu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coper is easy...torch + solder [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img]

I ran my turbo manifold flange on a belt sander to make sure it was flat but I still use a gasket. I haven't had any issues with it for the almost 2 years its been on there. I just use the regular stainless gaskets for both fnages on the manifold and they work great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude what the hell. I forgot the measurement, but the tank of pure argon was $220 up here and is the one that stands about 4ft tall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minivan Tuner

Dude what the hell. I forgot the measurement, but the tank of pure argon was $220 up here and is the one that stands about 4ft tall.
    hahahaha Jason you're getting ripped the fuck off dude. Argon is readily available in the atmosphere, hence the reason it is cheap as dirt. in fact Argon is cheaper than Co2 at most gas places because of the quantities that are sold of it. $28 for a tank here btw

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, in case anyone is wondering about the boost creep on that manifold. There isn't any. I have it all sealed up right now, and ceramic coated. It works like a charm. It reaches the pre-set psi and holds it there without creeping, not even in 4th. Haven't tried anything above 15 psi, clutch is nearly dead.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast