User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HOW TO: DSM turbo manifold on a Saturn

Well, since we had a thread that we need more articles, here's a quick one.
    I just got done adapting a DSM cast iron manifold to my 5-bolt 2nd gen DOHC head.

A few common things about DSM manifolds:

- If you have a 3rd gen, all you need to do is possibly drill out one or two holes. That's it. There should be no guide for that because it's basically a bolt-on.
    - If you have a 1st or 2nd gen, follow this guide.
    - DSM manifolds only fit DOHC S-Series engines, I don't know about SOHC, and you shouldn't even be having those thoughts.

Here we go. This is how the FelPro gasket lines up to the manifold. In reality, the ports on the head are smaller and line up pretty damn good:

This is what you want to cut off from the manifold to make it bolt up:

5 minutes later:

Save these tabs. Certain manifolds you don't have to, because they have extra material to drill the top holes in. This one didn't. You'll use the tabs to make the top bolt holes:

Reverse the tabs and weld them up to the two spots where you will have bolts. You will not need to drill the tabs, they line up perfectly:

Here it is with the tab welded from the back. You'll want to make sure your welds are good. Also, make sure you don't try to make the tabs "flush" with the surface. They don't need to seal, they just need to keep the manifold attached. If you make them "flush" you're running into a possibility of them sticking out a bit, and it will not make a good seal. Of course, it all depends on your skill level:

/\ For my purpose, because my head is actually port matched to the bigger FelPro gasket, I decided to port out the manifold some. I didn't care about smoothness, so that was the result.

That's it! Bolt it up and enjoy:

There are many varieties, and if you get the shiny eBay kind, make sure you weld metal support tabs under where the pipes connect to flanges, specifically where the wastegate flange goes into the collector. Most manifolds already come with those tabs, but some might not have ALL the necessary tabs in place. Otherwise, these things are pretty sturdy, just don't spill coolant on them when they're hot!
    2000 SL2 5 speed, boosted, meth injected, parted out...268whp & 254wtq (stock pump maxed out)..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: HOW TO: DSM turbo manifold on a Saturn

very very clever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow nice job

no realy nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work Chinaman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Job!
    Jeff W.
    Old Fella Nobody Remembers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WG location kinda sucks...other than that seems like it'll do the job. Weight difference?

-RD
    TOY: 95 SW1 Turbo 5 spd DOHC swapped - Sold.
    DD: 04 ION Redline (stock)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

congradulations yuri, you made a meaningful post that will end up in the tech section for the rest of this sites life!

lol

seriously though, good write up
    Black 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
    ZZP | GMPP |EBC |GM Stg2

8. Likes SC2Sick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. The WG location on this one is pretty stupid. It barely clears, though with some slight modification (or a smaller wastegate) it was not an issue at all. My biggest problem is that I didn't have time to finish the pipe that connects the WG to the downpipe. My friend welded it at a crazy angle, but it was late and we couldn't buy more supplies. So at the moment I can't put a filter on the turbo.

I did mess with the wastegate, so I'm boosting something like 15-17 psi right now, and I fucked up my t3/t4 gasket, so I have an exhaust leak where the turbo connects to the mani. It's hard to say at this point how bad the boost creep will be.

I will say a few things about this cast iron manifold though. It's nice, it's rather heavy (but right around what a stock saturn manifold weighs, maybe a tad lighter), but it's definitely indestructible, and the diameter of the pipes seemed bigger than my old shiny manifold, which was a nice surprise. It makes the car a whole lot quieter, and when it warms up it brings up the spool quite a bit. Overall, it was worth the $200 bucks and wasn't all that hard to attach to the car. Really you just need a grinder, even if you don't have a welder just bring the tabs to a local muffler shop and ask them to weld it.
    2000 SL2 5 speed, boosted, meth injected, parted out...268whp & 254wtq (stock pump maxed out)..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that a treadstone manifold? Sorry to highjack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Treadstone? No my manifold is chinese. Unless treadstone is some chinese brand. But no, I'm pretty sure my manifold is made by SBC (Some Basement in China).

Resident Douche Bag and Proud PlastikAvenger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good writeup ChingChong....finally giving us something usefull ehh?
    1995 Saturn SW2: Crushed
    1995 Saturn SW2: Lower Than You

13. Likes SC2Sick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really shouldn't need a gasket between turbo and manifold if both flanges are good. I had one of those stainless one between mine and I actually cracked it and it leaked. Threw the gasket away and now run without one and that is the only place that doesn't leak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You serious about the Treadstone being Chinese commmet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scottyr94
    You really shouldn't need a gasket between turbo and manifold if both flanges are good. I had one of those stainless one between mine and I actually cracked it and it leaked. Threw the gasket away and now run without one and that is the only place that doesn't leak.
    You know, that's what I did with my old turbo and it was great!
    I might try it. I ordered the gasket anyway, but I will run it without one until the new gasket arrives and see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YAY
    [quote author="shortbus"]Stage 2 is great. Its covered by warranty, better fuel economy, the eaton screams louder so deer wont jump onto the road, it makes girls get wet, and the emissions produced will not kill songbirds or melt glaciers.[/quote]<br />[quote author="retardpartol"]...who is sober and noton any kind of intoxication whether is be ibuprophin[/quote]<br />LSJ phun

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just tried to run it without a gasket. It works a lot better, but still leaks. Anyway, because it works a lot better now I was able to fully warm up the car (to where it amost fully seals) and I turned the boost down from 17 to right around 9 psi. It spooled to 9 by about 3800 and stayed there. It DID NOT boost creep.
    Now I would imagine it probably will boost creep a little when I put the gaskets in and turn it back up to 15. But I'm starting to really like this new manifold now. I would recommend it actually.
    2000 SL2 5 speed, boosted, meth injected, parted out...268whp &amp; 254wtq (stock pump maxed out)..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there any year or make of that manifold?
    do the world a favor hurt a honda...<br />[img width=430 height=40]http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage/976/stc_banners-sc2uned.jpg[/img]<br />[img width=312 height=150]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t132/sc2uned/sc2unedbanner-3-1.jpg[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ALL 4G63 manifolds will work with some moding!!!^^^

Go to ebay. LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are really making me want to do this someday haha
    Damnit [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img]

Nice writeup!
    PlasticPower8500: "I'm growing increasingly attached to my dead reliable bone stock 1st gen SC2... Feels like I'm in a Lexus when I'm driving it lol. Granted I have never been inside a lexus before."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point, all I need to do is find that damn OBDII device, ship it off to Special Forces and have him rip us a stock spark map. Then you can straight up slap together ready-made bolt-on kits for the S-series. It's really that easy guys.
    2000 SL2 5 speed, boosted, meth injected, parted out...268whp &amp; 254wtq (stock pump maxed out)..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast