Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ion Redline Recaro Seat Swap into S-Series

Ion Redline Recaro Seat Swap to S-Series

This is your guide to swapping the Recaros from the Ion to the S-Series.

WARNING: IF YOU SCREW THIS UP, DON'T BLAME ME. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR INJURY, DAMAGE, OR PROBLEMS WITH THE SWAP DUE TO STUPIDITY.

What You'll Need:

Long Skinny Flathead Screwdriver
    18mm wrench
    Metric 12-1.75 Flanged Wingnuts (Get them at Lowes or Home Depot.)
    Welder
    Air Chisel
    Hacksaw
    Grinder
    Drill
    Knife or Scissors
    Air compressor (a decent sized one, not a wimpy one.)
    Some pieces of extra welding metal
    Hammer
    Patience

Note: These seats will sit a little higher when you're done. This was done in a 2nd gen SL, so there may be slight differences in the other gens and models.

Alright, so obviously what you'll need to do is take out the old seats. There are video's in the DIY Videos section on how to take them out.

We'll start with the back seats. Start by taking the long skinny screwdriver and opening the back of the back seat up.

Now you'll see a couple staples holding the fabric down, pull them up and out and throw them away. You won't need them.

Next, you'll see two metal clips that look like this.

Stick the screwdriver between the clip and the plastic and pry until it pops out of the hole. Now the Metal piece that holds the sides in the car will need to come out. Sometimes you can just unscrew it, sometimes you'll need an allen wrench.

There's also the small plastic piece that slides onto the pivot bar in the middle. Simply pull hard enough and it'll come out.

Now tuck the pull strap on the front of the seat inside the slit and pull the plastic backing out.

This process is almost the same for the IRL seats, with the exception being the plastic retainers holding the fabric down. You can just pull the leather around the top of these retainers to get it out. Also, there are some staples on the fabric near the latch at the top; simple pull them out and discard them.

Now swap the plastic backing from the S-Series seat into the back of the IRL seat.It is a little bigger at the top than the old plastic back, but the leather will stretch enough that you can push it in.

You'll need your knife or scissors for this next part. The hole for the pivot bar on the S-series seat is lower than the IRL seat, so you'll just need to cut a new hole. I just extended the hole thats already there.

The finished product:

The other side is the same. The bottom part of the seat slides in the same way the s-series seat did, but it doesn't latch underneath. It won't go anywhere though because of the anti-submarine thing underneath. Also, it will stick out a bit further than the other seats.

Now for the fronts. Start by cutting off the metal pieces that hold the seat in the bolt holes. You'll need the air chisel and/or hacksaw.

The back tabs are strange. One of them is welded on, one isn't. You'll have to hack through that weld.
    Now, on the front tab on the Recaro, Take your drill and a pretty big drill bit and drill through the metal studs holding it on. Then take the air chisel and cut it the rest of the way off. Once you've done that, take the metal tab and flatten it out with a hammer. You'll use this for extra metal for welding.

Now, you'll need to cut the back bolt location on the side thats facing the outside of the seat, so that it's flush with the sliding rail. This is so that the seat will fit in the car. I forgot to take pictures so here's my illustration.

Now, bolt the old tabs in and set the Recaro in the car where you're gonna want it. Then tack weld the back tabs to the back bolt locations. Use you're extra metal pieces as needed. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SET ANYTHING ON FIRE.
    Then carefully slide the seat back and tack the front ones.
    Now, carefully unbolt the seat and remove it. Be careful not to break your tack welds. Finish welding outside the car. Then take you're 18mm Wrench and unbolt the seat belt buckles from the old seats. The Recaro's have another allen wrench bolt holding them in. Use the 18mm bolt and the flanged wingnuts to hold the seatbelt buckle in the new seat. The seatbelt sensor is the same plug, so it'll plug and play.

Now put it back in and enjoy! The finished product:

Once you've got the seat in a comfortable position, go around a corner at a pretty good speed and notice how you don't feel like you're falling out of the seats anymore!

Hope this helps for any of you looking for new seats. You can occasionally find these seats for sale on ebay. That's where I got mine.
    -Matt

97 SL2m: 2x Dragon Veteran <----- SOLD!
    06 Redline Comp: 1x Dragon Veteran
    08 Malibu LTZ: What's a Dragon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Ion Redline Recaro Seat Swap into S-Series

Oooooh, I want! Great work!
    SaturnSeries.net Owner
    '99 SC2 Project Car build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They look really good, my only critique is the tan seat belts
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2003 BMW e46
    2001 Saturn SC2 - Forged with everything but boost - FOR SALE PM FOR MORE INFO
    1998 Ford Ranger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SC2Sick
    They look really good, my only critique is the tan seat belts
    I really wanted to swap the seat belts as well, but the only seat belts for the ION that I found that were black were $50... per seat belt. So I passed for now.
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really clean look. I like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanted to take more pictures of the fronts while we were working on them, but unfortunately it's 80% welding, and taking pics of that is a no-go.
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do those seats have the blue fabric or the gray? Looks gray on my screen. If so nice find!
    - Nate

2001 SL2m - Just about everything BUT the boost. High comp./N20 motor on the way.
    2000 SW2a - Newest member to the fold. .04 factory overbore.
    1998 Chevrolet 1500 Heavy 1/2 Ton. - Overweight, underpowered, bored .04

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anti-rice 01sl2
    do those seats have the blue fabric or the gray? Looks gray on my screen. If so nice find!
    Yeah, fortunately they are gray. I didn't actually know they made them in gray until I found these on ebay. I thought they were all blue at first.

Sorry about the shitty pics, my epic fail for the day was bringing a fancy $700 camera with anti-shake and a massive lens without the batteries. So all these pics were taken with my secondhand LG Dare
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Inertiacraze
    Quote Originally Posted by anti-rice 01sl2
    Yeah, fortunately they are gray. I didn't actually know they made them in gray until I found these on ebay. I thought they were all blue at first.

Sorry about the shitty pics, my epic fail for the day was bringing a fancy $700 camera with anti-shake and a massive lens without the batteries. So all these pics were taken with my secondhand LG Dare
    Shit man, it's hard as hell to find quality Recaros from the Redlines... if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grays are more rare and look better imo. Looks great man. I still need to find a cheaper set to put in my ion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coraldayton

Shit man, it's hard as hell to find quality Recaros from the Redlines... if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for them?
    Let's just say I could have nabbed them cheaper, but not with the matching back seats. There's a few sets on ebay right now. Just type "Saturn Recaro" in the search box. When I looked earlier today there were at least three pairs of the front buckets for sale, and I think one of those listings had the rear seat too.
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks amazing. I wanted to do that so bad. I still want to, but I just can't afford seats right now. Maybe when mine wear out I will check out picking some up from LKQ or something.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TypeSL2
    That looks amazing. I wanted to do that so bad. I still want to, but I just can't afford seats right now. Maybe when mine wear out I will check out picking some up from LKQ or something.

James
    Good choice, LKQ was where I got mine. Problem is, when I picked them up I had the money for the seats but not to get them put in, so they sat in my dining room for about 6 months. About the time I decided to give up on the project and sell the seats, I got a hold of an old friend who knew someone who could help me out so I called him and that saturday we got them put in. This is the quick and dirty way of doing it, I would highly recommend you buy new sliders and fab them up to the front seats so that they sit lower. Universal sliders can also be found on ebay, though they are not cheap and will require a little more fabrication to get working, but they will improve the seating position considerably. Overall this is probably the best modification I could have done to the interior.
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Inertiacraze
    Overall this is probably the best modification I could have done to the interior.
    Couldn't agree more. I would love to have those seats. The other thing that deterred me from them was the fact that they sat higher. The Celica seats seem like they sit lower, or the exact same height as stock. I like sitting lower for some reason, but my wife hates it. Makes it too difficult to get out of the car.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lower is definitely the way to go in an S-Series, because of the shape and position of the dashboard. These seats sit too high up for my liking but i'll have that fixed soon enough.
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dude...i'd love to do this to my sl...but the write-up you have here is too confusing for me. rofl. i wish there was a video going over the whole process. and btw...where did you get your rear-center conole???
    1999 SL<br /><br />WAI <br />Ported/Polished, Shaved Head from Bill Allen (coming in May)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nubeetuner2010
    dude...i'd love to do this to my sl...but the write-up you have here is too confusing for me. rofl. i wish there was a video going over the whole process. and btw...where did you get your rear-center conole???
    Comes with the rear seats out of an Ion RL. It's also in the SC's

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweet tits. now that i've sat and read and re-read this thing about 10X over....i think i finally get it. lol. i took a look at my seat....and then had a 'duh!' kinda moment. oh well. i think i'll be getting these within the next month or so.
    1999 SL<br /><br />WAI <br />Ported/Polished, Shaved Head from Bill Allen (coming in May)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nubeetuner2010
    sweet tits. now that i've sat and read and re-read this thing about 10X over....i think i finally get it. lol. i took a look at my seat....and then had a 'duh!' kinda moment. oh well. i think i'll be getting these within the next month or so.
    Good stuff dude. Just see if you can cut them down to sit a little lower. It's all welding pretty much for the fronts. They're not perfect but they're not far from it. Let me know how it goes and PM me if you need any help.
    -Matt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast