Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: OBD1 PCM Modification

intresting, maybe I'll stay OBDI on my 93...I need to read more info on this.
    It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tristanlee85
    Quote Originally Posted by punkboySL2
    And just before i was about to buy a megasquirt... would this be any more difficult to operate then any other standalone? Wondering if any of us less computer savvy people could get into this, i mean i gotta learn at some point or another.
    Seeing as how tuning is nothing more than understanding the concept of EFI and punching numbers into software, I don't see how it's any more difficult/easier.
    I was under the impressions even if you could tune the stock computer, it still wouldn't be good to run with a boosted setup since it doesn't really know what positive pressure is and there is no table for it? Am I correct?

--Adam
    2002 Subaru WRX - 2012 Yeti SB66 MTB

http://www.facebook.com/adam.koback

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was assuming that with being able to modify this ECU, you'd be able to run a different MAP sensor.

I guess going back to my previous statement... obviously there's no (or very little) need of wiring if you were to tune the stock ECU, but it all depends on your goals. I'm not putting down this idea at all. I'm just pointing out that because it's the stock ECU doesn't mean it's going to be cake to work with.
    Tristan
    1997 SC Turbo
    1999 F-250 Powerstroke SD
    1999 Cavalier RS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this would have been ideal for me back in the coupe's autocrossing days.

--Adam
    2002 Subaru WRX - 2012 Yeti SB66 MTB

http://www.facebook.com/adam.koback

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you could figure out how to get the limiter up too that would be nice for cam applications, i know ill have to do ms or something like this soon after i get the motor in. i would like to get the rpm up a bit
    Sean. RIP 94 SL2
    04 Ion Redline

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPM up maybe another 500 revs and lean these pigs out for people running stock or close to it.
    http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9581&dateline=1314485  253
    2002 LW200 5 speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of encryption for OBDII are we talking about? and VERY nice work i wish i had OBDI
    Fail on wheels<br /><br />98 sl-slow.&nbsp; H&amp;R springs with KYB gr2 +saw tooths along with ebay WAI<br />71 Honda CB350: Future vintage racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About ten years ago I bought a turbo kit for my 1985 V6 fiero and it came with a new programmed chip I had to change along with a 2 Bar map sensor. I think they said it was from a GMC Syclone but anyway it was def a GM part. Would be nice if all we had to do was change the Map sensor and tune away.
    IN THE END...THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! 72 El Camino 5.3 T56 swap DD----95 SC2 LSJ 13.90@104MPH stock pulley. Drag racing is for quick cars... Roll racing is for fast cars! OWNER OF THE WORLDS FIRST LSJ POWERED 95 SC2!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I downloaded Pro Tuner and holy shit! There is some really cool stuff that you can edit in there! I suggest to anyone that is interested or has any tuning background to check this out. I however, don't have any tuning experience so some of it is a little over my head at this point in time.

Check this shit out! DO IT!
    http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9581&dateline=1314485  253
    2002 LW200 5 speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was assuming that with being able to modify this ECU, you'd be able to run a different MAP sensor.

I guess going back to my previous statement... obviously there's no (or very little) need of wiring if you were to tune the stock ECU, but it all depends on your goals. I'm not putting down this idea at all. I'm just pointing out that because it's the stock ECU doesn't mean it's going to be cake to work with.
    gotcha, thanks for that.
    98 SL2m - Intake, Raceland coilovers, daily driver
    94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
    94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PlasticPower8500
    Sucks this is OBDI only. Would make it really nice to be able to tune a stock OBDII PCM.. Damn encryption.
    OBD2 is just different technology. I couldve sworn someone else back on tsn was selling modded pcms, don't recall his name though
    Quote Originally Posted by sl2_dude4
    interesting. how is this done exactly?
    I'll eventually post pics, but you're replacing the prom in the ecu with a rewritable one. I then copy the stock calibration from the CPU EEPROM, and store it near the end of the prom image. Then you can route all lookups originally in the eeprom space to the end of your rewritable prom. From then I've been using idapro to disassemble the code and follow it through piece by piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon2001sc2
    I'm fascinated with this since I need to do some tuning on the wagon. I downloaded tuner pro and stated poking around in it but was wondering what you were using for the emulator?
    no emulator. All changes I run on my car and review datalogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by hein
    I am interested in this. How can I help?
    If you're able to chip your ecu, program and datalog it is all that comes to mind, anything else you can offer is appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by DentedPlastik
    I am interested as well, would a 95 DOHC Manual BIN be of any use to you?
    I already have PROM ID 7717 and EEPROM (Calibration) 8484. Check the first two bytes of your dump and convert to a decimal number to see if this is what you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamkob32
    Quote Originally Posted by punkboySL2
    And just before i was about to buy a megasquirt... would this be any more difficult to operate then any other standalone? Wondering if any of us less computer savvy people could get into this, i mean i gotta learn at some point or another.
    Seeing as how tuning is nothing more than understanding the concept of EFI and punching numbers into software, I don't see how it's any more difficult/easier.
    I was under the impressions even if you could tune the stock computer, it still wouldn't be good to run with a boosted setup since it doesn't really know what positive pressure is and there is no table for it? Am I correct?

--Adam
    That is correct, you would have to swap in a 2bar map sensor, and one way to use it would be what BBB did, and thats have two seperate MAP vars in the ECU. One that maxes out at 1bar, and another that is the true 2bar reading with a modified fuel table.
    Quote Originally Posted by sl2_dude4
    if you could figure out how to get the limiter up too that would be nice for cam applications, i know ill have to do ms or something like this soon after i get the motor in. i would like to get the rpm up a bit
    This I have already achieved long ago, my very first modifications were the speed limiter, standing rev limiter and rolling rev limiter. Since only the VSS is used to determine which rev limiter to use, you can set standing rev limiter to 2600RPM for example and use it as launch control. Once moving the rev limiter would be whatever you wanted the rolling rev limiter to be. Automatic transmissions (Why would you want launch control on that???) just use the P/N variable.
    Quote Originally Posted by psw71
    About ten years ago I bought a turbo kit for my 1985 V6 fiero and it came with a new programmed chip I had to change along with a 2 Bar map sensor. I think they said it was from a GMC Syclone but anyway it was def a GM part. Would be nice if all we had to do was change the Map sensor and tune away.
    We are essentially doing the same thing, except there are no pre-made chips for these PCMs and you have to desolder it rather than remove it from a slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Bretz
    Stock settings would be nice to see....like the correction factor
    IE
    fuel enrichment per coolant and intake temps
    injector compensation
    timing number
    ve numbers

Cracking the code would have made it alot easier for alot of use about 10 years ago.
    Just think of how many more boosted turds there would have been if you could just plug into the stock computer and reflash it with a few keys strokes.
    These I've already found, and in fact I've posted up the timing numbers for MS purposes in another thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DentedPlastik
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyla95
    I have the same ECU
    Did they have a separate ROM for Cali/NY that year? I couldn't tell off SaturnWiki.
    The program code (PROM) will be the same, but the calibrations (EEPROM) will be different

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so where can i get a re-writeable eeprom and could you posibly post some pics of what yours looks like... im very intrested in this... i have a few saturns that could use this!

i need this for my 95 sl2... built motor cams and a vortech at 10lbs
    &#39;95 sc2 V8 RWD<br /><br />&#39;95 SL2 dd cams and a vortech <br /><br />&#39;94 SL2 ls1 t56 currently put on hold :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe different now but, he wrote a how-to some time ago: http://www.saturnwiki.net/index.php/...Socket_The_PCM

Should be able to pick up a chip from Mouser: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=29C256
    [img width=30 height=40]http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/images/6g1fl3b1a8e0wf9sdvn.jpg[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AT29C256-90TC is perfect for our purposes with an adapter. Otherwise you can get a 28 pin dip if you can find one, else you need the 512kbit flash, which I don't remember the part number off hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alrighty... and then how do you "burn" the proms?? is there some kind of hook up that you use to like a desktop computer or ?? sorry for the newb questions, i really appriecate the help!
    &#39;95 sc2 V8 RWD<br /><br />&#39;95 SL2 dd cams and a vortech <br /><br />&#39;94 SL2 ls1 t56 currently put on hold :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 95sc2sbc
    alrighty... and then how do you "burn" the proms?? is there some kind of hook up that you use to like a desktop computer or ?? sorry for the newb questions, i really appriecate the help!
    Your questions are fine, and I hope they help others answer theirs. Anyway I like to use a Willem programmer (http://www.sivava.com/) because I deal with a lot of ICs to tinker with, but you're welcome to use any EEPROM programmer that accepts the 29C256. I've considered going the AutoPROM route which allows emulation and immediate flashing (http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?products_id=54). You're welcome to go with any of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emailer33
    Quote Originally Posted by 95sc2sbc
    Your questions are fine, and I hope they help others answer theirs. Anyway I like to use a Willem programmer (http://www.sivava.com/) because I deal with a lot of ICs to tinker with, but you're welcome to use any EEPROM programmer that accepts the 29C256. I've considered going the AutoPROM route which allows emulation and immediate flashing (http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?products_id=54). You're welcome to go with any of them.
    awesome, i wonder if this(moates) is what my friend uses for his syclone.... ill have to check with him, maybe i can borrow his! im owrking on picking up a eeprom right now so hopefully soon enough ill be getting my hands in this whole burning the stock pcm! NO MORE SAFC hopefully!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sucks this is OBDI only. Would make it really nice to be able to tune a stock OBDII PCM.. Damn encryption.
    On saturnfans there is a guy that has hacked into a 99 PCM OBD2, but hasn't broken down the info into what it all means.
    97sc2<br /><br />7psi on t3 turbo on e85<br />thermal r&amp;d exhaust<br />72lb lucas injectors<br />MS-2 for fuel<br />Stock PCM for spark and trans<br /><br />Guesstimated hp is 200hp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kurt97sc2
    On saturnfans there is a guy that has hacked into a 99 PCM OBD2, but hasn't broken down the info into what it all means.
    only a matter of time till obd2 tuning is a reality. awesome.

just wondering, can't you downgrade to obd1?
    96 sc2m - whore.
    - $3.7k to go till completion..

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast