Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brett's 1987 Chevrolet K5 Blazer

^What it looks like now^

^This is what it looked like when I bought it^

Its a stock 350 TBI paired with a SM465 truck tranny (4 on the floor w/granny low)

The paint was done by Earls Auto Body Manassas Va.

All the exterior pieces (grill, weatherstrip, side markers, flares, etc.) purchased from LMC Truck.

I put a new chassie wiring harness in it from painless performance and a rough country 4" lift with a dual steering stabilizer kit and nitro shocks. I also installed a new stereo with a cd player and 3 pairs of 6x9's nothing real high end but big improvement from what it was. It came with true dual exhaust w/flow master 40's I just added cats to pass inspection.

Other then that the truck is pretty much original except for normal wear and tear items.

The only two performance upgrades is a K&N air filter and a Eaton Posi rear with Yukon gears and axles.

This was my first ride and it got me from A to B pretty reliably until I got the Saturn. Now its just a weekend cruiser and occasional off road/snow funmobile (;

Future plans possibly swap in a Duramax or a Cummins turbo diesel. This is something that will happen when I have money which I dont have now.

Got these wheels from a friend of mine for $100. When I save up for some tires they will go on.

Seeing that there is a growing number of build threads besides Saturns I figured I would post it.

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awww yeah. That's in much much better shape than either of my old bowtie trucks.
    '97 SC1m: Rebuilt and wrecked
    '95 SL2m: Engine swapped and sold
    '96 SW2a: Cleaned up and sold
    '98 SC2m: Replaced EVERYTHING and sold
    '98 SC2m: New head and sold
    '96 SL2m: Daily driver mobile
    '05 IonQCm: GF's car

'95 SW2m
    : In search of...

Resident Electromotive Expert importsdontlikeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya man, it had almost Zero rust when I bought it. Just a ton of bondo in the tailgate and a nice dent in the fender from a tree. So we just replaced the tailgate with an OEM and pulled the dent.

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell yeah. I know my '81 3/4 was unstoppable in mud. It started life as a straight 6 truck with 4.56's and a factory detroit, then someone put a 350 in it and some knobbies. That thing would pull itself out of mud up to the doors.

'95 SW2m

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Needs moar tire

2005 Legacy GT
    2004 Vue V6 AWD
    1995 SL1

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya the AT's r horrible in the mud. I've had it out never got suck but I was spinning so much. Had to rock it out a few times. And it was deep enough to bottom out my friends f-150 on 31's. Def going to 35's km2's next.

Its got 33's now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KM2's ftw! I had those on the jeep, and they were amazing on everything.

'95 SW2m

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love these things. Just looks like it needs a little more meat under it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, I wish I had the money.

If anyone wants to donate towards bigger tires lmk lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every person I talk to has a different opinion on what diesel is better. I was considering swapping a Cummins or Duramax into this truck one day. Can someone with good diesel experience or knowledge tell me what they would choose and why?

I have heard that Duramax if I just want to drop it in and go. Cummins if I want to mess with it and make big power.

Considering that my truck weighs much less then the big trucks they come in I was thinking it should perform well and be efficient with a stock Duramax.

Thoughts? Advice? I'm open to anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not much of a diesel guy, but I personally would go with the Duramax. I used to work on them, and we didn't really see that many. Most often, the problem was operator error, like fuel filters clogged. I don't have any experience with Cummins though, so my opinion is kinda null.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya everything I here about them is good.

Also I have done some research and I'm leaning towards a duramax. I would love to drop in a LMM and a Allison 6 speed but those are so expensive. They make so much power stock I wouldn't need to mess with it and my truck weighs so much less than the trucks they put them in I'm sure it would be plenty fast. Maybe just a few bolt ons and some trans work in sure it would be fun.

Now I just need to start saving money.. ugh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Duramax is an amazing engine as is the Cummins. I personally love the sound of the 5.9 Cummins but I imagine it would be harder to fit. You take price into consideration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of ease of installation Id go cummins. Both are awesome motors but an earlier type 12v cummins has little to no computer equipment and can make good power still(600whp-around 1000wtq)

If you were to go with a dmax a LB7 would probably be cheapest...just make sure you upgrade the injectors or convert it to a LMM.
    Chris Sneesby
    2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Sprintex S/C'd, Magnaflow Offroad Catback, 35" Hankook M/Ts...other stuff...still a minivan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of price range would I be looking at for a 12v mechanical? And I did not know you could convert the LB7 to an LMM what is involved with that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The major difference between the LB7 and LMM is the fact that you can get to the injectors without pulling the head on the LMM. Basically all it is is a head swap. Theres a little more involved than that but the majority of the job is doing that.

As for the cummins...you can keep the SM as they make an adapter for it and you could probably get a good runner for 1500-2500 with some miles on it.
    Chris Sneesby
    2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Sprintex S/C'd, Magnaflow Offroad Catback, 35" Hankook M/Ts...other stuff...still a minivan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a GM guy top to bottom but for ease of swap a 12valve cummins. to do a duramax swap you would need a whole crashed truck to get all the computers and wiring you need.

Since it is only a 1/2 ton blazer I would actually say go with a 4bt cummins. Yes its only a 4cyl but with very little work you can have 300hp and 600ft lbs of torque. It is the same base motor as a 12valve so it is all mechanical and super easy to work on, but smaller and lighter. And they can be found pretty cheap!
    ------- MIKE --------

WARNING: The following posts may contain and are most likely the result of any/all of the following. Boredom, laziness, apathy, lack of sleep, alchahol and a strong desire to be a jackass for no good reason other than because I can and am. Please read and take any or all posts with a grain of salt and a sense of humor. Not responsible for any butt-hurt, bad attitudes, or temper tantrums. By reading this, you have accepted this warning as a warning, therefore you have been warned, Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does sound much better of a swap. I originally was leaning towards a cummims but someone talked me into duramax. I don't hav alot of cash flow right now so the cummims swap sounds much more realistic.

What kind of fuel mileage could I get from a 4bt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taking it easy probably low to mid 20's.

The 4bt's are commonly found in bread/delivery trucks...i.e fed ex trucks.

Its a common jeep swap now a days and IIRC you can keep the SM465 with that motor also. Advance Adapters basically sells and adapter for everything.

The nice thing is the 4bt sounds almost like a 5.9 cummins...which IMO sounds nasty.
    Chris Sneesby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told I could get 30mpg hywy. But what your saying sounds more realistic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast