User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KYB strut mount squeak

I finally installed my KYB struts/progress springs/KYB strut mounts (front) this past week. The setup has been working correctly, until now ( the squeak).

So, below the strut mount lies a rubber piece that rests on top of the spring. this has a particular position due to the bottoms of the studs for the mounts and the bumps on the top of said piece. Normally, the rubber isolator (I believe this is the correct name) is kept in place by the top of the spring's particular shape. Now, it appears to be out of whack. I was driving through a scrap yard... and the ground was not smooth. Maybe the combination of turning with the wheel, and the extreme holes dislocated the rubber part. What is supposed to stop this from happening? Hope that the driver never hits a hole like that (it was ~5 MPH max)?

I assume the solution is to compress the spring, turn the rubber piece back into proper position, and be more careful?
    Last edited by leighv; 01-09-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: wrong title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drive slower? I had a whole KYB set up on Intax springs and never came across this issue you speak of...
    Black 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
    ZZP | GMPP |EBC |GM Stg2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've mended it! I just have to not drive like it was a truck (had the wheel gap of a truck before!)

*well* nevermind... it still moves out of place?
    Last edited by leighv; 01-10-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of this before...is the bottom of the spring set properly on the strut?...maybe that is what's causing the problem...

Edit, also try replacing the rubber piece...could be old/worn...

The Site ---> http://gyrlspeedracingteam.com
    Buy something dammit ---> http://gyrlspeedracingteam.com/shop
    ***Secretly wants a VW R32***

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been staring and playing with the spring for the past 1/2 hour... It's seated. I did feel a little bit of rubber being bit off (must have been from hitting that hole?). The steering itself feels fine though...easier than with the factory strut mounts.

No way in hell do i want to take apart the strut again though. I got raped in alignment costs. Not going back to that place again. I had the rubber piece in my hand when we put the new assemblies together, and it looked fine.

I have tried grease and silicone lube... They actually made it louder, so I cleaned it up. I feel really stupid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulling apart the struts don't take that long and from experience, when I took my struts apart and put them back together, my alignment was hardly affected...but I could be wrong. Could be just a bad strut mount? You made sure to use the contact lens shaped part at the top of the mount as well right? Just throwing stuff out there...

The Site ---> http://gyrlspeedracingteam.com
    Buy something dammit ---> http://gyrlspeedracingteam.com/shop
    ***Secretly wants a VW R32***

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GyrlSpeedRT View Post
    Pulling apart the struts don't take that long and from experience, when I took my struts apart and put them back together, my alignment was hardly affected...but I could be wrong. Could be just a bad strut mount? You made sure to use the contact lens shaped part at the top of the mount as well right? Just throwing stuff out there...
    It's not the assembly/disassembly, its the throwing off of the camber that I don't like. I did include the contact lense shaped washer at the top!

I am going to end up driving it for a while, as there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it. Everything that i can see with a flashlight looks correct. There does seem to be a small indent on the rubber isolator, presumably being imprinted into it from the shock load of hitting the pothole, but the rest of it feels fine.

gah

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tops of the progress springs aren't clocked the same as the stock springs. (at least mine weren't) That means the rubber perch needs to be clocked a little off to make it seat against the spring and mount properly. I imagine it could possibly 'find' this position on it's own after some driving.

The new position can cause one of the three rubber bumps (lack of a better term) on the rotating portion of the mount to rub against the heads of the studs that hold the struts in. The plate that goes against the car body can get bent when you tighten it down; -eliminating what little clearance there was. I've had to trim some off the bumps to maintain clearance. I've even reached up there with the struts on the car to whittle away at them. Not easy but doable.

Probably best to remove the struts and get the perch clocked so it sits flush against the spring and the mount. Then inspect the clearance between the rubber bumps and the plate/studs while you turn it as it would do when you turn the steering wheel. Trim the bumps down with a razor blade to get some clearance.
    Last edited by hein; 01-11-2012 at 12:41 AM.
    current build: 95 wagon, completed build: 95 sc1 to DOHC

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll make an effort to whittle those nubs down and report back by Friday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I turned the rubber isolator some more, so that the bumps are equal distance from the outer nub... no more squeak! Thanks for your help.

Get off my lawn.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumping this because this is likely my issue as well. What's more embarrassing than driving a 20 year old shitbox? When it squeaks like crazy in the parking lot every time you turn the wheel. :unamused: