Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: axle bind?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

axle bind?

I have a 99 sl2 on neon coilovers which I believe is having axle bind issues. there are some vibrations at higher speeds such as 90km/h, 110 km/h. the vibration does not happen at lower speeds, and seems to only occur at certain speeds. the car doesn't make clicking or grinding noises when turning hard or at all for that matter. this problem has only popped up after lowering the car. when the coilovers were initially put in at a higher setting they seemed fine, no issues with vibrations.

the car is lowered significantly, never measured how much exactly. the tire size is also smaller then the standard sized sl2 wheel ( running a 195 45 r16 tire in the front) to allow me to go lower.

my question is: is this likely axle bind or something else? and how can it be solved? I've read shortening axles can solve this as well as raising the engine. any thoughts?

pic of car and front subframe clearance attatched for reference
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possibly an alignment would help?

Deebs build..need cams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They usually get upset around the straight mark. But at that ride height they are back to having an angle to them, maybe too much of one. Measure driveshaft angle and compare to stock. I am riding slightly higher than you with no axle issues.
    http://our6thplanet.com/
    40 something saturns.. oh who fraking counts anymore

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not coilovers but also possibly not even as low as your car, but the "Which Springs for Me?" thread has this to say about the Sprint Extremes (2.5" drop) "Sprint Extreme - Mad drop. Axles will shudder from the angle they find themselves on."
    2008 Saturn Astra XE - New DD Build Thread
    2000 SL2m - Scrapped... used to be DD + Fun w/ a system (pictures fixed Jan 2017)
    1995 GMC Sonoma ext cab 4x4 - Beater work truck - blew a hard brake line in the rear ~june 2016. Repaired Aug 2017 but blew wheel cylinder. Selling and getting something new once it's fixed enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In to see how this goes. I ran sprint extremes for 4 years on my 97SL2 and I didn't have any axle problems. Granted my tire was a 195/60R15. Can't wait to see what you find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably gonna end up getting an alignment seeing as it's probably off by a lot after all my screwing around. don't really wanna spend all the time and money to get shortened axles at this point. if that doesn't fix it then I'll try and find a set of 15"s and go lower. that or raise the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raising the engine to correct those angles sounds like a fair idea.

I'm picturing 1/2" spacers under the dogbone/tranny bracket on the driver side, subframe/dogbone bracket and subframe/tam mount on the driver's side. The only one that wouldn't be easy would be the lower tranny mount, you'd have to make a spacer bracket. None of it is difficult, but it is a little involved with dimensions and such.

In the meanwhile, I know this sounds blasphemous, but I'd raise back up to a ride height that the car actually drives at.

Resident Douche Bag and Proud PlastikAvenger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shaolin View Post
    Raising the engine to correct those angles sounds like a fair idea.

I'm picturing 1/2" spacers under the dogbone/tranny bracket on the driver side, subframe/dogbone bracket and subframe/tam mount on the driver's side. The only one that wouldn't be easy would be the lower tranny mount, you'd have to make a spacer bracket. None of it is difficult, but it is a little involved with dimensions and such.

In the meanwhile, I know this sounds blasphemous, but I'd raise back up to a ride height that the car actually drives at.

Not an option.
    1995 Saturn SW2: Crushed
    1995 Saturn SW2: Lower Than You

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha it actually drives at that height. its my only car. half hour drive to work every morning on sketchy *** industrial roads, just gets annoying when it vibes.

lol, should've added that raising the car is not an option

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha and also...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shaolin View Post
    In the meanwhile, I know this sounds blasphemous, but I'd raise back up

but thanks for the suggestion, if I can't fix it with an alignment I'll most likely try your engine raising suggestion.

has anybody else had this happen? or am I the only lucky one lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard of this issue in the past (00-02) but I didn't really hear what people did to fix it. A lot of people tried modified axles. Then again, at that time Sprint Extreme springs were suuper low.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's about the lowest Saturn I've ever seen. Other people have had suspension problems from being too low, but I don't know that anyone's done anything about it.

The Fucking Ginger Canadian
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running sprint extremes on my 3rd gen wagon, no problems with axles, slight shimmy during launch, even before the engine was raised when I did the Hein suspension upgrades.

There is a problem with raising the engine 1/2", I ran into it.......you will need to lengthen the studs for the engine TAM, which will require removing the bracket from the frame, cutting off the old studs, drilling new holes and welding bolts into place. The trans mount should be fine with a 1/2" spacer under the mount, just need to get it cut up with locating/anti rotation tab. The engine dogbone bracket on the subframe will be pretty easy to raise, tranny side might be a little more difficult, although truthfully I didn't adjust it, used it the way it was.

Also if you have a tower bar, the engine will now hit it when you raise it by 1/2"

Jer
    Daily : 2011 Subaru WRX wagon
    Ex daily driver : 2000 SW2 5spd, First S-series w/Hein's true A-arm front suspension, First sedan/wagon w/coupe front end conversion, boxed in rear subframe, SPS 3-way rear swaybar, Corado 11" rotor swap w/Wilwood superlight 2 front calipers, rear disk swap, Deeb's built engine w/dual intake cam's, OBX header, High flow cat, Thermal exhaust, MSD wires and coils, AEM CAI, OBX rad hoses, custom short throw shifter, black leather swap, black interior swap and there's a stereo somewhere in there.
    Ex daily driver : 86 Fiero GT, 3800SC 4spd manual *SOLD*
    Project : 85 Fiero GT, with the heart and soul of a 04 ION redline

Check out my project car "Fierion"

www.coppertopautosports.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again no point in raising the engine until axle angles are measured. You could just make it worse, or better but who knows.
    http://our6thplanet.com/
    40 something saturns.. oh who fraking counts anymore

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop_01 View Post
    There is a problem with raising the engine 1/2", I ran into it.......you will need to lengthen the studs for the engine TAM, which will require removing the bracket from the frame, cutting off the old studs, drilling new holes and welding bolts into place.
    Jer
    Could you simply take a half inch off the TAM where it meets the timing cover? I havent heard of anyone breaking the metal part of the TAM, but I'm not sure what taking a half inch off it would do. Your solution is likely the best, just thinking of another option.
    2008 Saturn Astra XE - New DD Build Thread
    2000 SL2m - Scrapped... used to be DD + Fun w/ a system (pictures fixed Jan 2017)
    1995 GMC Sonoma ext cab 4x4 - Beater work truck - blew a hard brake line in the rear ~june 2016. Repaired Aug 2017 but blew wheel cylinder. Selling and getting something new once it's fixed enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guess you could, but it seems that would me more difficult than welding in longer bolts.......but thats just my opinion.

Jer
    Ex daily driver : 2000 SW2 5spd, First S-series w/Hein's true A-arm front suspension, First sedan/wagon w/coupe front end conversion, boxed in rear subframe, SPS 3-way rear swaybar, Corado 11" rotor swap w/Wilwood superlight 2 front calipers, rear disk swap, Deeb's built engine w/dual intake cam's, OBX header, High flow cat, Thermal exhaust, MSD wires and coils, AEM CAI, OBX rad hoses, custom short throw shifter, black leather swap, black interior swap and there's a stereo somewhere in there.

Ubiquitous Administrator Donnie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowest? Eh, he looks to be around (give or take) where Seann and I have had our cars, and I never had any major issues.

Ethanol and Boost: My Anti-Drugs.

2016 Chevrolet Colorado LT - HNNNNGG.
    1999 Ford Dangah Rangah XLT - Junk haulin' junker-slut.
    1998 Saturn SC2 - Garbage. Pure, unadulterated, unapologetic, garbage.
    Gone: 2004 POSRT4 - 372/425 @ 20psi, "Super safe tune" --- 4xx/4xx @ 26psi, "BAMF Tune"
    Next: 1990 Supra "LOLNOJZ" - LSx, 4L80E, Megasquirt, whole lot of Ethanol, whole lot of snail...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its most likely a bad alignment issue.....get that checked out then worry about axles after.

Jer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think alignment as well. My wagon is pretty low and I don't have issues and I even aligned it myself. I'm taking it to a shop that specializes in performance and slammed car alignments so I know it'll be done right.
    98 SL2m - Intake, Raceland coilovers, daily driver
    94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
    94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    every saturn I ever put drop springs on always had shudder but only on low speed acceleration. my friends had the same problems with their dropped saturns. def an axle angle issue.
    IN THE END...THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! 72 El Camino 5.3 T56 swap DD----95 SC2 LSJ 13.90@104MPH stock pulley. Drag racing is for quick cars... Roll racing is for fast cars! OWNER OF THE WORLDS FIRST LSJ POWERED 95 SC2!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast