Close

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My name is Jeff Silva. I've been working on Saturn's since 1992. I started modifying them in 1998 after I bought my 93 SL2. I started out on the Saturn AutoForum, Saturn newsgroups and the SPOC mail list. A lot of information was passed around on the SPOC mail list. I purchased a set of factory service manuals and tried to pass on as much info as I could. This helped people understand how the car worked. This is when I started writing how-to's and tech articles on my website. I felt that the best way to get people to modify their cars was to get the information out there and to show people that they can do these things themselves. My thinking was, the more modified Saturn's out there would increase the likelihood that a company would start making parts for our cars. I like to think that it worked.

In 2000 my brother Mike and I bought a 91 SL2 to drag race. We did a lot of firsts with that car. The first NA Saturn in the 14's with a factory motor. And with the help of our good friend John it was the first Saturn in the 12's with the same motor and a 50 shot of nitrous. And the first Saturn in the 11's with an unknown amount (100+?) of nitrous. It beat Mustangs, LS1 Camaro's, Corvettes, full race Honda and Acura's. We had massive amounts of fun with it. We were going to go for the 10's with a full race turbo setup, but other things like work, babies and a shitty economy got in the way. We did get a 138mph pass out if it with the turbo setup. Ran 55 psi on a stock head gasket too.

I was a mod on TurboSaturns. I like to think that without that site, we would not have been able to accomplish the things we did with the race car. I tried real hard to keep the information flowing in the right direction on there. I was shocked when it was taken down. A lot of very good information and conversations were lost.

I think I ventured over here to 6S when it was first brought online. I lurked around for some time. I respect the guys/gals that started this site. It kind of filled a void when TSN died. And it has definitely turned into THE site to go to for correct, knowledgeable information. I know I don't post as much as I used to. Its hard when you're working 12 hour days and have a wife, babies and a house to take care of.

I don't own a Saturn any more. I might again sometime in the future. I miss the race car. I miss modifying my daily driver. But it's nice to be able to log on here and see people still doing the same things I was doing 14 years ago.
    - Jeff Silva
    2001 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 5.3L, Blackbear tune, cranked keys, e-fans, Android head unit
    1997 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3L V6 family hauler
    Vacancy here, need project car

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm Mike Silva.

I could write a bunch of stuff, but my brother in the post above pretty much just said everything I'd type. Except that I got my first Saturn in 1992. A 1991 SL2.

I now have a 2008 Saturn Aura and 2001 Chevy Suburban that gets all the mods. Most of my time is spent these days doing stuff with my 10 year old son, R/C cars and being an awesome Uncle.
    Last edited by lowsaturn; 10-16-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    -Mike

2008 Saturn Aura
    2001 Chevrolet Suburban

Northern Plastic slipstreamconversion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see older members in here, some I haven't even heard of.

If you are an older member, even if you haven't posted in a while, feel free to reintroduce yourself to the community!
    Last edited by slipstreamconversion; 10-18-2012 at 12:15 AM.
    - Sixthsphere Admin Team -

2004 Saturn - Vue V6 FWD - My Winter Daily
    1999 Lexus - RX300 V6 AWD - The Lady's Winter Daily
    1997 Toyota - Aristo I6 RWD - My Summer Daily
    1976 Chevrolet - Camaro V8 RWD - Project 2019
    2017 Hyundai - Tucson I4 AWD - New Family Car
    2005 Yamaha - BWS50 1CYL RWD - The Lady's Summer Daily

Lancaster (village), New York, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appear to be Chris Schaffer.

I died once.

I shacked up here in 2007 with my one and only 01 SC2. I didnt know much of anything when I started but I couldnt resist forcing cool things from other cars into working on my coupe. I became pretty fluent in 3rd gen, even discovering the ability to swap equinox and torrent cluster.

I've tried to meet as many of the north east members as I could, made a handful of forever friends, have gigs of pictures from Tree's Halloween party, Funkymonkeys backyard BBQ, multiple "tail of the salamander", Knobles/Centrillia, multiple Autorama's in Detroit, and countless weekend trips over the past few years.

With the help of many amazing people here, I punched Cancer in the face multiple times until dead in 2010. If not for the great people of this forum, I may not have made it out in as good of shape as I did.

My poor modestly modded SC2 currently resides in the garage awaiting the motor on the floor with my daily driver being a 08 Subaru Impreza. I also drive a big rig for a living now.
    Last edited by DokiZen6x; 10-19-2012 at 06:39 AM.
    -Schaffer
    01 Sc2 "Zen"
    14 Wrangler "ManillaZilla"
    01 Sc2 "Diva" (wifes)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm Dustin
    I'm an alcoholic.
    I spent most of my money on hookers and the rest Ive wasted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DokiZen6x View Post
    I appear to be Chris Schaffer.

I died once.

I shacked up here in 2007 with my one and only 01 SC2. I didnt know much of anything when I started but I couldnt resist forcing cool things from other cars into working on my coupe. I became pretty fluent in 3rd gen, even discovering the ability to swap equinox and torrent cluster.

I've tried to meet as many of the north east members as I could, made a handful of forever friends, have gigs of pictures from Tree's Halloween party, Funkymonkeys backyard BBQ, multiple "tail of the salamander", Knobles/Centrillia, multiple Autorama's in Detroit, and countless weekend trips over the past few years.

With the help of many amazing people here, I punched Cancer in the face multiple times until dead in 2010. If not for the great people of this forum, I may not have made it out in as good of shape as I did.

My poor modestly modded SC2 currently resides in the garage awaiting the motor on the floor with my daily driver being a 08 Subaru Impreza. I also drive a big rig for a living now.
    Any chance you are on any local subaru forums?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumpity for the older members who are back to add their stuff !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't even see this. This needs to be a sticky.

I'm Joe. Not really, I'm Natedogg because my name is Nathan. I've been working on cars for as long as I can remember. My sister-in-law owned a 95 SL2 when I first met her in 2002, and my wife got the idea in my head to buy one. When I found TSN, it was decided that I would get one since everything I needed to make it a toy was on that site, and it was a great community. In 2004 I got my first Saturn (a 97 SL2 manual) with 98,000 miles. I was going to turbo it but since it was my DD and I didn't have tons of cash flying around (no thanks to my ex-wife) I couldn't have built a reliable turbo DD. I did basic N/A mods to it, then put a MS 1 on it just tuning fuel with a narrowband sensor. I eventually got a wideband and got it tuned right, and when gas hit $5 a gallon I tuned it lean at cruise and I was averaging 38 MPG to and from work. Gas calmed down and it was back to business. I loaded MSnS-Extra code on it and I think I was one of the first to run an OBD I ignition module on a Saturn with the MS, and I was the first to use an OBD I module on an OBD II car.

Around 140,000 miles on the clock it was developing a slight rod knock, so I rebuilt a junkyard engine with flat-faced valves, .040 over bore, and I was the second to try the dual intake cam mod. Whether 2 intake cams actually does anything remains to be seen but it seemed cool at the time. Things aren't learned without experimentation.

While this was all going on I got my 2nd Saturn from my sister-in-law for $500. A pristine 95 SL2 with 120,000 miles and 1 owner. It was to be my turbo, and eventually became just that. I bought just a basic kit from a TSN member (manifold, turbo, IC and pipes, and some other goodies). I started working on it, but didn't have all of the parts yet. In 2006 I was sick of working on the 97 and I wanted something nicer so I bought an 01' Lexus IS300 and sold the 97 to a lady that had no idea what I had done to that car. If only I could go back and get that engine...

I had also moved from DE to Jersey to a (former) friend's basement (don't ask, long story) and I bought all of the parts for the turbo and did it up. Unfortunately, the car just sat with me driving it maybe once a month. 2 years later I bought a house back in DE and the car just sat in the driveway here too, so I eventually sold it. I refused to part it out because it was a perfectly good running car with a near flawless chassis. I wanted someone to have it that appreciated it and could continue the project. Unfortunately they crashed it but they did put it back together and sold it. Where it is, I don't know, but I wish I had never sold it and I kick myself every day for it.

So that was it for Saturns for me for 1 year. I traded the Lexus at 138,000 miles because it was burning oil and was becoming a mechanical problem I didn't want to deal with. I got a 2008 VW Jetta 2.0 TSI (this is leading somewhere I swear). I fought and fought to avoid getting a direct injection engine because of the carbon build-up issues, but everything I wanted was direct injection, and VW supposedly fixed the issue in the TSI that the FSI had. 6 months later (2012) it started throwing misfire codes, and the dealer found so much carbon in the #2 intake port that you could barely see the valves. VW replaced the head for free, and VWoA treated me VERY well when the dealer became non-responsive on the status of my car, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Right around the time of the misfire incident, a good friend said her mechanic told her her 99 SL2 auto needed a new head gasket. She bought the car brand new in 99 and has been the only owner. She didn't want to spend the money on it, so she gave it to me to fix and I was going to give it to another friend who's daughter needed a car. Well, she bought her daughter a car before I got it fixed so it sat in my driveway for months. Late 2012, I thought "why am I fucking with this VW?" I knew I had a car in my driveway that is cheap to own, cheap on insurance, I know every damn inch of it and can pull an engine in my sleep, parts are a dime a dozen, and I could take the right amount of money and make a reliable turbo DD. My biggest concern was the stupid DE OBD II scan done at the DMV (there's no paying someone off here to pass it). Either way, I thought I could over come that and decided to go ahead with the project. I am also selling the VW because I don't want the payment, insurance, and parts are very limited for it if I break something modding it (VW has the parts market all choked up so you HAVE to buy VW engine parts). Besides that, the EA888 engine is a fucking NIGHTMARE to work on.

So here we are today...
    Last edited by Natedogg; 01-17-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    Former modded N/A 97 SL2, unmolested 96 SC2, and turbo 95 SL2 owner.

99 SL2 Turbo - Parted out the turbo bits and putting it back to stock. It's already sold in it's stock form.
    00' SC2 DD - SOLD
    2015 Fiesta ST - Recaro package. More fun to drive than a turbo Saturn and more reliable.
    Loaded and cushy 2014 Ford Explorer as the family hauler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm George. I get banned a lot.

Started here with a free 97 sc1 with a blown engine that I later rolled over. Went through a 95 sl2 a 97 sw2 and a 98 sc2 before leaving the brand for a while. Currently driving an '07 wrangler and a '10 yamaha r6.

The sphere often laughs at my awkwardness, but has helped me a lot. I've spent a drunken weekend at the dragon with some of these fucks, bought parts from some and sold parts to others.They watched me buy and sell a ton of cars off craigslist.

When I started I was a lube tech at valvoline, now I'm qa at a gas and oil pipe producer.
    '97 SC1m: Rebuilt and wrecked
    '95 SL2m: Engine swapped and sold
    '96 SW2a: Cleaned up and sold
    '98 SC2m: Replaced EVERYTHING and sold
    '98 SC2m: New head and sold
    '96 SL2m: Daily driver mobile
    '05 IonQCm: GF's car

'95 SW2m
    : In search of...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
    Didn't even see this. This needs to be a sticky.
    It was at some point :P Guess it got un-stickied

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aikidoshadow View Post
    I'm Dustin
    I'm an alcoholic.
    I spent most of my money on hookers and the rest Ive wasted.
    Glad to see there are some honest people here. Lol
    I wanna be a Saturn when I grow up. 99sc2 *i <3 saturns*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My name is Hein and I'm freakin' Dutch!
    Yes, that IS my first name. (I pronounce it Hane but it's OK to call me Hine)
    I'm one of (maybe the only) over 50 guy(s) here.

I am a self employed mechanical engineer with more experience then I care to acknowledge. I designed conveyor systems for the big three back in the 80's. Worked for CASE designing trenchers and skidsteers throughout the 90s'. Then started a consulting business implementing 3D CAD (Pro/E). I had the opportunity to see some neat manufacturing facilities during that time. Everyone was going to 3D CAD and it was (still is) cool.

In Y2K, I moved my family from Wichita, KS to Hood River, Oregon for recreational purposes. windsurfing, biking, hiking, skiing/snowboarding, etc. Looking back, it was a tough move for my two young daughters but they have adapted well and are now close to finishing college.

Currently, I do custom design and tooling development mostly for composites. Many of my projects are for RealCarbon, Inc. Wes Lapp, their chief engineer, holds the . His mono-fin is carbon fiber.

I have a large industrial CNC router (not a shopbot) in my garage. I bought it to machine cores and finished boards for the kiteboarding industry when it was first starting. I've designed, tooled, and built surf and kite boards and accessories for the sport. Some products are licensed to companies like North shore Inc and I manufacture components for some of them.

My first Saturn was 98 wagon that I bought to tow behind a motorhome. I think we got it in 99 for ~$6K because it had been in a flood and fixed. We dragged that thing around for many years and miles. It was a good car so I helped my daughter buy a 98 SW2 to drive to high school. I 'inherited' that car when she went off to college in a newer Suby.

That's when I joined SF and eventually ended up here. First mods on the 98 SW2 were a rear disk swap and things got progressively more involved after that. I currently have a 95 SC1 with a dual cam; 95 wagon dd, and the 98 SW2 which is presently engine-less. All have been modded but none boosted yet. That's on my bucket list.

I've designed and manufactured a slew of parts for the S-series and Vue (just sold my 06 Redline). I make the stuff for myself hoping that others will want it too. Like many here, I've turned quite a few sick Saturns for a reasonable profit. It's what I do when the engineering work slacks off a bit. I'm glad to be here with all the other misfits. ha ha

And the one thing that has made all this possible is my wife, Kim.
    Last edited by hein; 01-18-2013 at 02:13 PM.
    current build: 95 wagon, completed build: 95 sc1 to DOHC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, my name is Joey and I've owned 5 saturns so far, a 96SL, 96SL2, 94SC2, 95SC2 and a 94SW2. I currently still own the 94 coupe and the 94 wagon. The wagon is my daily driver and is very low fitted with a wheel/tire combo that is too big and eats the fenders apart. It has also been boosted for over a year and so far the only thing it's broken was a head gasket. The coupe on the other hand has broken a trans and an axle, and is currently torn apart awaiting for me to get off of my lazy ass and finish putting it back together with a built forged motor. I've had a few years experience with Megasquirt engine management systems and that is what has been running both of my boosted vehicles somewhat reliably lol.

Besides building dumb cars I also work on bicycles for a living which is my other passion. I've been racing/riding bikes since I was 10 and since then it was been my #1 hobby which I won't give up until I'm too old and beat up.
    98 SL2m - Intake, Raceland coilovers, daily driver
    94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
    94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

Resident Douche Bag and Proud PlastikAvenger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name is Dan. From NH and currently living in Boston. Ive been banned and unbanned here more times than I can remember.

Showed up around these parts back in summer of 2005. I was going to be getting my license shortly, and needed a place to bullshit about the 93 SL2 I had. Ive been stuck here ever since. Currently have my fiances 2010 VW Golf that is on Coilovers and stanceypants wheels, and a 95 SW2 that is falling apart around me, slammed to its taint on coilovers and soon going to have some ridiculously weird sized set of wheels on it. Im what would be known as a StanceFag, and there arent many of us around. My wagon has some of the rarest off the shelf parts on it, and I will tell you about them if given the chance, because I love the fact that it took me 4 years to find my catback. I just got my license back after 3 and a half years loss, for being an asshat when I was a kid.

Life back then? Was with this bitch named Stephanie, bouncing around from job to job and living life. Now? With the same bitch named Stephanie, bouncing around form job to job and going to school for my Bachelors. Funny how things stay the same.

The sphere has helped me in more ways than I can even count. When I first joined here, I was about 6 months away from getting my license. I had a body kit already picked out, a wing, some awful neons, etc. Hanging around here though made me appreciate how much of a sleeper these things can be, and how sometimes, performance is greater than looks. Dare I say that I have reverted back to my "looks over performance" ways however? The wagon was once done up for light autocrossing duty, and I had my fun with it. Now Im into getting the car as low as physically possible and stretching tires over wide wheels and hardparking. Boom.

Memories? My god. As Donnie said, there are guys on this forum that I consider my best friends and brothers. Alot of them will be getting invites to my wedding, and some of them will be IN my wedding. From the old days of playing xbox with them and sitting up till 5am with Seann and Donnie just TALKING on xbox, to the 4 trips Ive made to Tennessee (one year Id like to forget) to get retarded in the woods with these guys. Sitting there every year on Sunday until 6am on the porch, knowing you have a 15-20 hour drive ahead of you in the morning, but you just cant go to bed because you know you wont see these guys for another year. Some of these guys I consider my family. Ive had issues wiith a few of the older members, I know myself and Marc have butted heads a few times for example, but I still love these guys like family.

I have been known to be a complete douchebag on the forums, but I am one of the throwbacks to the old days on here. I got hazed like a mother fucker before I became apart of the family, so youre gonna get it to. Get used to it. Ill be nicer later. I promise.
    1995 Saturn SW2: Crushed
    1995 Saturn SW2: Lower Than You

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm Sam ( that's what the "S" stands for in my screen name). I have had one saturn, the 95. It has 337K miles on it now. I like saturns
    <--------That picture over there is one of my best friends, Jay. You might have seen his post earlier as Green Monstah.

I do crazy shit to my turd (that is what we call saturns). I used to have a turbo/nitrous saturn. It made more power then what was useful, but it was fun. I tore it appart and sold about 1/2 of it now. I am in the process of installing a GM v6 and making the car rear drive with a Ford 9" rear end. It will still have nitrous, but it will more then likely have one more turbo then my previous builds.

A lot of good memories have happened over the past decade with these fucks.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read through every one of those and I find myself so jealous. Forget being stuck in the welcome center still and being anxious to get my feet wet and hang with the big boys. I am so jealous that you guys and gals were getting to enjoy how I wish my life was now back in Saturn's heyday. I wish I was there for that. I was just barely wiping my own ass back when all of you were modifying your saturns and going to meets and living life. You all have war stories to tell and anecdotes to share and I just wish that I was there so bad. I love the camaraderie of it all and if there is ANY life left in this forum I would be so down for a meet or something. I am so jealous that by the time I was even old enough to drive, I missed the Saturn party. Great thread and great read. Makes me more anxious then ever to become known around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi i am josh. i have been hear a long time. i started out with a 97sl2 that i raced a lot. i would be willing to bet that i may have ran more n2o through a saturn than anyone here. i did have an addiction to n2o there for a while, like a 3-4 bottles a week every week for years.... i have also had a lot of fail sauce over the years from racing. a few broke transmission and a few broken engines. it was a good thing i met and knew jay(greenmonstah) and sam (s.bretz) because a lot of what i know about saturns and drinking beer, i couldn't have learned without them. hell jay was even in my wedding a long time ago.

i currently drive a 95sl1(fuel economy), 2003 dodge dakota(toy hauler), 1995 jeep wrangler(woods/mudding), 1996 transam(the racecar), 1992 f150(hunting/mudding), 2010 mitshubishi endevour(baby hauler)

i have a lot of good memories of this place and the people on this site. i also have had a few good battles on this site of the years. my asshole ways have left and i am a lot more laid back now.

and my post count is well over 10k but due to site move i started over.
    2007 chevy classic 2500hd 4x4 duramax
    1996 383 lt1 auto trans am
    1995 sl1. single cam of fury
    1995 jeep wrangler lifted 4x4 4.0
    1995 ford explorer 4x4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sl2racer View Post
    hi i am josh. i have been hear a long time. i started out with a 97sl2 that i raced a lot. i would be willing to bet that i may have ran more n2o through a saturn than anyone here. i did have an addiction to n2o there for a while, like a 3-4 bottles a week every week for years.... i have also had a lot of fail sauce over the years from racing. a few broke transmission and a few broken engines. it was a good thing i met and knew jay(greenmonstah) and sam (s.bretz) because a lot of what i know about saturns and drinking beer, i couldn't have learned without them. hell jay was even in my wedding a long time ago.

i currently drive a 95sl1(fuel economy), 2003 dodge dakota(toy hauler), 1995 jeep wrangler(woods/mudding), 1996 transam(the racecar), 1992 f150(hunting/mudding), 2010 mitshubishi endevour(baby hauler)

i have a lot of good memories of this place and the people on this site. i also have had a few good battles on this site of the years. my asshole ways have left and i am a lot more laid back now.

and my post count is well over 10k but due to site move i started over.
    The memories would not have been as great without you Josh.

Edit: Stickified this mother fucker.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    long drinking nights and me getting banned. haha
    2007 chevy classic 2500hd 4x4 duramax
    1996 383 lt1 auto trans am
    1995 sl1. single cam of fury
    1995 jeep wrangler lifted 4x4 4.0
    1995 ford explorer 4x4

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump. Any other long time Sixthsphere members wanna reintro themselves for the masses?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast