Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing a Blast Horn in a 1st Gen SC-2

For a long time I have hated the puny horn on my Saturn SC-2 and wanted to change it for something louder. I found a set of electric blast horns on e-Bay and decided to give then a try. Usually these are installed behind the carís front grill and in front of the radiator. Unfortunately there really isnít a good spot to mount these in the radiator opening of this car, but they will fit in the space where the stock horn is mounted.

First you need to remove the sheet metal panel above the horn. There are 4 nuts and 4 bolts to remove. The arrows show the locations. I had the bumper cover removed which made it much easier to get the panel out. Next disconnect and remove the old horn.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As the late great Everett Dirksen said, ďOne horsepower here, one horsepower there, pretty soon you talking real power.Ē

As my father always said; Itís not what you know that counts, it's what you think of in time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried several mounting locations before deciding the best location shown here. It was the only place they fit without interference. The red arrow shows where the old horn was bolted in place.

Horn 010.jpg

The horns come with some sheet metal mounting brackets. You need to bend then into a ďZĒ shape. The end at the horn is a straight 90 degree bend, the end away from the horn is also 90 deg but needs to be angled down a bit.

Horn 002.jpg

I used a small plastic push connector to mount the bracket. Drill a hole in the plastic radiator cover. The AC radiator is about an inch behind this so donít force thru drill through very far.

Horn 004.jpg

Install the new horns. They fit part way down into the slot between the bumper components shown by the red arrows.

Horn 006.jpg

Wiring is very simple. Cut the horn wires near the driverís side horn. Run 2 jumper wires across to the passenger side horn. The green is power, black is ground. Use some crimp on connectors to fit the hornís terminals. There is no polarity to worry about.

Horn 011.jpg

Horn 012.jpg

Test the horn and reinstall the cover.
    Enjoy your new super loud horns, but remember if you honk at a little old lady who is crossing against the light, you will probably give her a heart attack!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As the late great Everett Dirksen said, ďOne horsepower here, one horsepower there, pretty soon you talking real power.Ē

As my father always said; Itís not what you know that counts, it's what you think of in time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all that posting and no sound vid, wtf? lol
    99 sc1 dohc swapped mp2 with 50-75 shot of zex and megasquirt in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centralfloridasc1 View Post
    This^^^^

Looks great though, lets hear.
    2001 red Sc2m R.I.P.
    1998 gold Sc2m (Goldylocks) Ms2 turbo construction
    1995 white Sc1.5m N/A (Becky) R.I.P.
    1999 navy blue Outback 2.5m (un named) DD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good, would be interesting to hear a sound clip. What did they cost ya?

One suggestion, flip the horns over so the connectors are pointing down. That way they wont fill with moisture and rot out.

~ Carson
    http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/images/gzfwoi07v4gs4esen48.jpg
    ~ Remember the Past, Embrace the Future, and always live life In This Moment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my first gen sc2 I put air horns in the fender / bumper. Kinda above the foglights.
    Nice fitment though!
    http://our6thplanet.com/
    40 something saturns.. oh who fraking counts anymore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centralfloridasc1 View Post
    I'm not very good with computers. In fact took me almost as long to create this guide as it did to install the horns!!!! Basically they sound like the gates of hell opening, sort of a cross between a 747 crashing and my old lady when I come home after a night of drinking w/ my buds!!!! You don't want to hit the horn in an enclosed space without hearing protection, OUCH.

I will try to get somthing up later.
    Last edited by Thor4SL2; 02-24-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This makes me want to replace my horn with the one from a GMC Envoy that I got

2002 LOL200 113HP/122TQ
    2012 Chevy Cruze LT/RS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
    Looks good, would be interesting to hear a sound clip. What did they cost ya?
    On E-bay, about $30.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-SUPER-LOU...176f67&vxp=mtr

There are other manufacturers w/ slightly different designs. Some may be larger (mainly thicker) and may not fit in that tight space.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
    One suggestion, flip the horns over so the connectors are pointing down. That way they wont fill with moisture and rot out.
    I didnít show this but I covered the wires with black plastic split loom and wrapped the connectors w/ silicone rescue tape. Once the cover is back on not much, if any, water gets up there, but still a good suggestion. Thanks.