Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LED Pod Switch Lights

This wright-up explains how to convert the pod switch lights on a 1st. generation Saturn (1995 SC-2) to LEDís. First remove the plastic housing that surrounds the radio/HVAC control pod. There are 2 push pins, one on each side of the housing. Push in on the center and pull the pins out then slide the housing forward. Unplug the plastic wire connector from the back of the push button switches. The switch assembly unclips from the housing and looks like this:

LED Pod Lights 005.jpg

On the back you will see 1, 2 or 3 bulb sockets, depending on how your car is equipped. Using a small screwdriver loosen the bulbís base and pull them out. This is what they look like:

LED Pod Lights 006.jpg

LED Pod Lights 009.JPG

Straighten the bulbís wires and pull it out.

LED Pod Lights 010.JPG

I used 12volt T5 Super Blue Dashboard Wedge Base LED Light Lamp Bulbs. These are very cheap on E-bay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-T5-74-70...item5653a8d1ca

LED Pod Lights 014.jpg
    LED Pod Lights 017.jpg

Straighten the LEDís wires and pull it out of the base.

LED Pod Lights 020.JPG

Insert the LED into the Saturn base and bend the wires back into a U-shape following the groves in the base. Trim the wires if they are too long.

LED Pod Lights 022.JPG

Obviously the larger 5mm LED is not going to fit into the 3mm opening. What you need to do is use a 13/64Ē drill to enlarge the hole. Use a slow speed. Too large a hole and the lamp base will not lock in place.

LED Pod Lights 024.jpg

Before installing the new LEDís test them with a 9-voly battery. They are polarity sensitive so if they donít light reverse the connection.

LED Pod Lights 025.jpg

At this point you may want to open the case and remove the circuit board. Inside you will see 2 small LEDís soldered to the board (circled in green). I decided not to replace these. That way when you push the button the indicator light will change color. However if you feel comfortable un-soldering them and have a suitable replacement LED go for it. The LEDís circled in red are the new ones seen from the bottom of the board.

LED Pod Lights 027.jpg

Before installing the switches in the housing, plug them in and turn on your head lights. They should look like this:

LED Pod Lights 029.jpg

If they do not light simply remove the LED and rotate if 180 deg to reverse the polarity. It should look like this:

LED Pod Lights 030.JPG

Then when you press the button the indicator light will change color:

LED Pod Lights 031.JPG

Reassemble your housing and enjoy.
    As the late great Everett Dirksen said, ďOne horsepower here, one horsepower there, pretty soon you talking real power.Ē

As my father always said; Itís not what you know that counts, it's what you think of in time.

Northern Plastic slipstreamconversion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good!
    - Sixthsphere Admin Team -

2004 Saturn - Vue V6 FWD - My Winter Daily
    1999 Lexus - RX300 V6 AWD - The Lady's Winter Daily
    1997 Toyota - Aristo I6 RWD - My Summer Daily
    1976 Chevrolet - Camaro V8 RWD - Project 2019
    2017 Hyundai - Tucson I4 AWD - New Family Car
    2005 Yamaha - BWS50 1CYL RWD - The Lady's Summer Daily

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely need to do this, it should work for the a/c and recirculate buttons too?
    99' SL2- stick swapped, static, slammed, DD, forever in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes it will work for those too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You beat me to it that was going to be my next post. In fact it is even easier since the AC/REC bulbs are larger so no drilling is required.

AC LED's 001.JPG

Just follow the same procedure as above.

AC LED's 005.JPG

One thing I notices is that these LEDís are very directional, like a flashlight instead of a bulb. When I installed them in the AC/REC switches they seemed very dim, even with the dash lights on full. The solution was to loosen the wires in the base and bend them 90 deg to point toward the push button.

AC LED's 011.JPG

This photo shows the LED on the left pointing down and the LED on the right pointing forward.

AC LED's 009.JPG

And, finnaly with both LED's pointing forward. Enjoy.

AC LED's 013.JPG
    As the late great Everett Dirksen said, ďOne horsepower here, one horsepower there, pretty soon you talking real power.Ē

As my father always said; Itís not what you know that counts, it's what you think of in time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. The AC/REC circuit board has 2 LED's soldered into it, similar to the pod indicatior lights. Again, I did not change them out so that when the buttons are pushed and the indicatoe lights comes they are a different color.

AC LED's 2 001.JPG

Sorry about the shakey picture, I got to stop drinking on Sundays.
    Last edited by Thor4SL2; 03-31-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks awesome! I'll probably be doing this soon with red leds instead to match my head unit. Hopefully it turns out this good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yours came out great. I did the same thing but on the ac/rec mine did not come out bright. I bent them 90* as well. Im wait till night and c how they look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Final 4

There are 4 more bulbs that you may want to switch over to LEDís to complete the job. The first are the 2 temperature slider lights. They are located on each side of the slider assembly. Twist the lamp holder about ľ turn and gently pull them out.

More LERD's 002.jpg

The tricky part here is getting the bulb out of the holder. The only way I know to do that without breaking the bulb (which you defiantly donít want to do!!!!) is to wrap the bulb in Gorilla Tape and pull really hard. It is the only tape I found that is sticky enough to stay in place on that small bulb. Do NOT use pliers or any kind of tool that might break the bulb.

More LERD's 024.JPG

Now the easy part. The LED's just plugs in!!! The passenger side is ready as is so just push and turn the bulb housing back in to place. The driverís side takes a slight modification to get it in. Inside the slider assembly is a clear plastic diffuser that spreads the light around the sliders. On the passenger side it has a hole in it so the LED clears. On the driverís side it doesnít. It get the LED to lock in place you could drill a hole in the diffuser but it might break. Instead just grind a small amount off the tip of the LED.

More LERD's 006.JPG

The last 2 are the easiest of all. The cigarette lighter light just unclips. Use the Gorilla tape to pull the bulb out, Pop the LED in and clip it back in place.

More LERD's 014.jpg

The cup holder light works the same way.

More LERD's 016.jpg

For a total cost of $1.39 and a few hours my entire pod lights now have a beautiful blue glow.

More LERD's 021.jpg

Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have replaced my hvac sliders, cupholder, cig lighter bulbs, and cluster bulbs and I used the round ridged inner section of a multi-tool pliers to pull the bulbs out without breaking them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you recall the size of the bulbs and bases. I found these ...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/201631745500

Looks like the T3 might be a swap.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Shhhhhizaam! Thanks Red Ballls!!! www.bodegoes.com instagram : picklenvs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I used if I remember correctly: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-Car-T5-3...item5d602c4da0
    The ones you show mat work in some of the fittings but not all and they are more expensive.

13. Likes axxer4200 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so I ordered these almost 2 weeks ago only bad thing is it says it won't be delivered till October 11th almost 2 months for delivery. As soon as I ordered these another one popped up for 99 cents free delivery from China also so heads up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axxer4200 View Post
    Ok so I ordered these almost 2 weeks ago only bad thing is it says it won't be delivered till October 11th almost 2 months for delivery. As soon as I ordered these another one popped up for 99 cents free delivery from China also so heads up

Which ones did you order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one that Thor4sl2 sugessted

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I received the bulbs yesterday a lot quicker than it stated. Gonna start the installation tonight will post some pictures later

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok here it is in all its glory pretty bad but not as bad ass as I thought but I ain't hatein thanks for mod. Oh I found that when you drill your 13/64 holes drill it in reverse. The bulbs that go in the hot and cold cup holder and cig lighter just plug right in don't remove the bulb from the holder they just push in

Last edited by axxer4200; 09-01-2016 at 10:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just reading the beginning of this article and realized that it said 95 sc2 mine is a 96 sl2 so it can be done on 2nd Gen as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor4SL2 View Post
    This is what I used if I remember correctly: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-Car-T5-3...item5d602c4da0
    The ones you show mat work in some of the fittings but not all and they are more expensive.
    Have you had any issue with the lights burning out

Last edited by axxer4200; 11-02-2016 at 01:50 PM.