Close

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 min and $14 later I have good heat again! Old original thermostat was getting pretty tired, threw in a new one and car actually gets to proper operating temp now. Luckily was able to save/reuse all of the old coolant. Looks like it had been changed recently, it was still a nice bright green color, didn't look dirty or discolored at all so I'm definitely happy about that. Also tossed on a new valve cover gasket since the old one was spewing oil everywhere (the motor and trans are pretty much completely covered, yuck) and some new ngk plugs. Hopefully I'll get a small increase in MPGs now that it's finally running at proper temp and everything is in good shape. On a side note when I pulled off the valve cover the inside of the motor was pretty dark, but the car doesn't seem to use and oil and it's got the quietest lifters I've ever heard (or not heard?) in an S-series. At some point I'll run some trans fluid through it to get some of the gunk out of the inside of the engine, but for now I'll keep running it.
    98 SL2m - Intake, Raceland coilovers, daily driver
    94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
    94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

Resident Electromotive Expert importsdontlikeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's prolly the gunk making the lifters quiet, might wana keep it lol

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha, hey whatever does the job. As long as it makes the long road trip I'll be happy.
    94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
    94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after doing plugs and T-stat I went from ~27.5mpg up to ~30.5mpg, not bad at all! Finally getting a little more justification for driving this car. I think once spring rolls around I'll be putting a newer exhaust together. Plans are to fix any last small leaks on the downpipe (keeping the stock header, not worth the 2whp), replace the flex pipe, punch out the cat, add o2 spacer, replace all piping after the resonator with 2" or 2.25" mandrel bent and a magnaflow muffler. Piping size will depend on whatever is cheaper.

One issue I need to diagnose is this on and off CEL I've been getting the past week. I have noticed that my IAC is temperamental at start up and VSS seems to be not registering as quickly as it should be. I can start accelerating and it'll stay at XXmph then after a second or two it'll catch up and read the correct speed. I have spare parts galore so it's just a matter of swapping stuff out and hopefully that takes care of any last issues.
    Last edited by punkboySL2; 12-26-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vss was acting funny last year, 2 days later spider gears on the road.
    2001 red Sc2m R.I.P.
    1998 gold Sc2m (Goldylocks) Ms2 turbo construction
    1995 white Sc1.5m N/A (Becky) R.I.P.
    1999 navy blue Outback 2.5m (un named) DD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you have a good ground that is not corroded...any extra resistance on the cluster ground will make it do wonky things.
    If all the wiring is good, the cluster is shot and you will need to get a new one.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't tell me that a week and half before I have to drive this thing 30 hours haha.

ahh, ok. I will check all my grounds as soon as I get a chance. Thanks Sam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 95 and 96 cluster that we're working when we took them off the cars.

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure, but I might need a 98. I know the fuel pumps are different so it might not read the same. Tried using a 96 pump in a 97 car and it read off, but maybe that's just the from the PCM. Idk lol, all I know is that it didn't work quite right. I probably won't worry about it until it totally craps out on me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by punkboySL2 View Post
    I'm not sure, but I might need a 98. I know the fuel pumps are different so it might not read the same. Tried using a 96 pump in a 97 car and it read off, but maybe that's just the from the PCM. Idk lol, all I know is that it didn't work quite right. I probably won't worry about it until it totally craps out on me.
    I used a manual cluster out of a 97/96 Sl in my manual 98 sc. Worked great.
    Just stay away from the 95- different harness at the cluster (two plugs)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, my buddy still has the old 96 cluster I gave him with LEDs and a brushed aluminum bezel.

As a few of you know I'm currently on a few week trip to Austin, TX, then to bumblefuck GA. Car made it to Lebanon TN today with pretty much no issues and getting ~35 mpg. Was hoping for a little better, but with the cold weather and winter gas it doesn't surprise me too much. I wanted to drive a bit further, but freezing rain and snow canceled that idea. The IAC is acting up, but I brought two spares with me in case so I'm going to swap that out once I get to TX. It's going to 7 degrees here in the morning so I'm not working on it outside then haha. Burned a little bit of oil which I was expecting, but otherwise the car is running pretty stoutly. Before the trip I gave it an alignment, changed the oil and replaced the control arm to sway bar bushings. The old ones were completely shot, wheels were rocking back and forth. Oh yeah and I spun out and put it into a snow filled ditch which ruined the rear wheel bearing so I replaced that as well, whoops. Hopefully rest of the trip is all smooth sailing and a little better weather.
    Last edited by punkboySL2; 01-08-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Save travels man! Good to hear the car is treating you well.
    '94 SL2: The Detail Junky (Will it ever run? Does it even exist?)
    '95 SW2: The Daily Junky 3 (388k Champion)
    '95 SL2: The Daily Junky 5 (aka Snow Junky 2)

The Detail Junky Build

"Saturn people like a different kind of Escargot: Redefining the association between Saturns and Snails."

For Sale Thread (Current Items: 9-Bolt Head, 9-Bolt Timing Cover, 5-Bolt Timing Cover)
    Wanted Thread (None)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if you were going to be able to get online and keep us updated! Let me know if you need any parts air dropped to bumblefuck! Lol, safe travels man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are/were in my neck of the woods. I am only about 30 minutes from Lebanon. Good luck on our shitty roads and be safe man.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freezing rain.... Yeah, more turbo should help that out a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeSL2 View Post
    You are/were in my neck of the woods. I am only about 30 minutes from Lebanon. Good luck on our shitty roads and be safe man.

James
    I think you guys and Arkansas have worse freeways than PA which is saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Bretz View Post
    Freezing rain.... Yeah, more turbo should help that out a bit.
    Ha, I'm sure that would have made the last bit of that drive even scarier.

I replaced the 145k original fuel filter today, when I took the old one off and was draining some of the old gas back out it was a nice brownish color so I think I made the right choice there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you guys and Arkansas have worse freeways than PA which is saying something.
    Lol. We have some pretty rough roads through here. They seem to keep repaving roads that are fine and the ones that need repaving never get any attention. It's a joke. Glad you made it safe.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks bro, it was a long drive, but well worth it.

Finally figured out my hesitation/bucking issue. Looks like the EGR took a crap so for now I jammed some pennies between it and the car is running great. My dad is mailing me a blockoff plate so it should be 100% solid in a few days. I threw on a new plug wires and a fuel filter on two days ago as well, the old one drained out some brown gas so I'm glad I took care of that before it got totally clogged. Wires I should have replaced before I left since I'm not sure how good the old ones were having oil on them in the plug galleys before I changed the VC gasket. Now that the car has had a full tune up I'm much more confident in making the rest of this trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good man! If you need any oddball parts we've got a lot of stuff in the shed, just shoot me a text.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced the 145k original fuel filter today, when I took the old one off and was draining some of the old gas back out it was a nice brownish color so I think I made the right choice there.

If you shake that fuel around so if goes threw the filter a few times, some times the fuel will drain out almost black.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast