Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some box specs for an old sub.

I have a JL 10w3 v1... I did some poking around on JL's site and can't find any speaker box specs on this thing.

I know it needs a 3" wide, 12" long port for a ported enclosure, but I can't find the box volume.

If memory serves me right from 14 years ago with all the pot from my younger years and booze from my later years, I think its supposed to be right at 1 cubic foot...but I would like to be sure before I construct a new box.

I would use the old box (that sounds great) but its 14 years old and looks like shit. It was originally for another speaker and doesn't have the depth for the port so the port actually sticks out of the box about 6"... I also remember having to add some 4X4 internally to the box to bring the volume down. So, in a nut shell, its pretty fucking ghetto and I would just like to do it right this time and make it look good and fit in the car nicely.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Shake a dead chicken at it! THUD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Bretz View Post
    I have a JL 10w3 v1... I did some poking around on JL's site and can't find any speaker box specs on this thing.

I know it needs a 3" wide, 12" long port for a ported enclosure, but I can't find the box volume.

If memory serves me right from 14 years ago with all the pot from my younger years and booze from my later years, I think its supposed to be right at 1 cubic foot...but I would like to be sure before I construct a new box.

I would use the old box (that sounds great) but its 14 years old and looks like shit. It was originally for another speaker and doesn't have the depth for the port so the port actually sticks out of the box about 6"... I also remember having to add some 4X4 internally to the box to bring the volume down. So, in a nut shell, its pretty fucking ghetto and I would just like to do it right this time and make it look good and fit in the car nicely.
    1.5cf tuned at 35Hz
    Port : 14.5 * 1.75 * 33 = 0.68cf displacement
    Gross internal air space = 2.25cf, allowing for sub displacement

Internal Dimensions -*

(2.25 * 172 / 14.5"h /10.5"d = 25.5"w

External Dimensions -*

16"h * 12"d * 27"w

Back - 14.5" * 25.5"
    Baffle - 14.5" * 23.75"
    Sides - 14.5" * 12"
    Port A - 14.5" * 9.5"
    Port B - 14.5" * 21.75"
    Top / Bottom - 12" * 27"

Attach side panels to bottom, with back between them.
    Attach baffle panel to right side panel.
    Attach Port A edge to rear face of left side of baffle.
    Attach Port B edge to right face of Port A along rear edge.
    Install top.

This should leave you with a 14.5" x 1.75" L-shaped port that measures exactly 33" down the center.
    2002 sl2 auto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our you could hit up pioneersaturn his shit always seemed top notch.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think JL's dimensions where tuned in for around 80-90hz...35 is just too low for a little 10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MECP 10+ years working in field ( Whos car has electrical problems)
    10w3 was a little over 1/2 cube sealed so I dug around. I had one in rear seat of my wrangler. was sub of choice
    http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mf...pdf?1323144202

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I foud that too. Form what I can tell, the first gen w3 was the same as a v2 except for the cove. The v1 has the dome in the middle of the normal cone, the v2 went with a traditional cone.

I had the speaker rebuilt a few years back and now it has a traditional cone. Based on the resitance in the coils, it looks like I'm closest to the d4.

Now I can't really decide if I want to do a sealed or ported. The old crappy looking box was good already for base with a pretty wide range....which is the opposite of what all the info I find says. The only thing I can think of is that its from may non-traditional shape and port. The bass always sounded tight and clean....and its made out of chip board I took from the scrap pile of a contrustion site after they started roofing that house.
    Last edited by S.Bretz; 11-28-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    parallel around 2 series 8. if it was a outy dust cover its a v1 a inny was every after except the cheapos.
    Sealed was good for space saving and tighter mid 60-100hz range. Ported will go lower 35 range like thud stated.
    The quality stuff has changed so much. It use to be sealed required more power. These days ported does.
    I stopped following it all about about 12 years ago when all companies started selling out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MDF was always our choice but we did plenty with ply. rectangle ports, not the cardboard/plastic round .Its seriously all about the box.
    Last edited by budiceman; 11-28-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I shouldn't say that I have my $30 12" sub attached to a 3 1/2 gallon bucket. The ghetto pos works. It provides clean bass oddly enough.haha i'll get a real box eventually so this thread is relevant to my interests

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my calculations are right a 5 gal would be better. lol Ive done buckets, Duct taped cardboard boxes, pvc pipe back when bazooka first came out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Pyle 15 in a 30 gallon cardboard+aluminum chemical tube with a snap ring lid for awhile back in the mid 90s. Probably the best I had for a long time. (Great for ~$50 but terrible compared to my last several setups)

As far as box specs go... Pioneer Saturn would be who I would talk to on here. I'm not set up to do any box designs right now myself or I would see what I could do for you.

With the sub specs you could download WinISD and see what different box sizes, sealed vs ported, power, etc does to the sound output and if it overextends the sub.
    Last edited by TheDumbAss; 12-02-2014 at 12:03 PM.
    2008 Saturn Astra XE - New DD Build Thread
    2000 SL2m - Nearly Scrap... used to be DD + Fun w/ a system (pictures fixed Jan 2017)
    1995 GMC Sonoma ext cab 4x4 - Beater work truck - blew a hard brake line in the rear ~june 2016. Not yet repaired.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at it the other night...its still an outie cone.