User Tag List

Thread: Under dash amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under dash amp

I have a small amp that I think is thin enough to fit underneath the upper dash panel. Just to be clear, this is a first gen SC. First dash design.

The only problem I could see is heat may be an issue, even though mine don't produce much heat. I have a collection of identical little 100watt Alpine amps laying around.

I can hear the rears just fine, but the fronts are a little quiet to me even after adjusting the fade.

Has anyone done this? Feel free to post pictures.

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving. I made a bunch of pie. Apple, Pecan, and two pumpkins.

Beige 93 SC2, fully loaded, MS3 Pro, 150 shot nitrous, Walbro 255, high compression. 155hp/296hp
    Purple 93 SC2, Minus all options, save for rear discs. Formerly turbocharged with a GT25R and forged internals. MS2. 390hp (150mph club )
    99 SC2 M/T 206k, 97 SC2 M/T 106k

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?

SHANNNEEE JACKSON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heat is easily solved with a computer fan. Most computer fans are 12v anyway... wire in a fusible link, to keep it low amps. They'll have an amperage rating on the back.

I'd recommend something like this one... you can add a vent to your dash from underneath, so it can suck in cooler air.

If you use a rheostat... aka potentiometer, you can adjust the power to the fan, and make it quiet, or blow harder. Up to you.

As far as putting it under the dash... unless you have use for your glove box, you can cut that out of the picture and mount it under there.

*edit*

Can't believe my link never stayed... that's weird.
    Last edited by MaYhEm; 12-02-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really under the dash, but inside the dash rather. For easy and short wiring to look as stock, professional, and hidden as possible. I thought about the glove box, but I keep all my receipts in there. The receipts are from about 96 to present. I thought about the use of fans, but I'd have to keep an eye on temps with a thermometer for at least a day to make an educated decision.
    Beige 93 SC2, fully loaded, MS3 Pro, 150 shot nitrous, Walbro 255, high compression. 155hp/296hp
    Purple 93 SC2, Minus all options, save for rear discs. Formerly turbocharged with a GT25R and forged internals. MS2. 390hp (150mph club )
    99 SC2 M/T 206k, 97 SC2 M/T 106k

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a ALPINE KTP445A under my dash above shift cables. It goes inline. Mine goes between a alpine headunit . ALPINE KTP445U is universal with rca or line level. Im running a high end component set of MB quarts(german made ones) and alpines in rear
    Last edited by budiceman; 11-28-2014 at 06:54 PM.