User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got my truck running great

I bought this a few months back for $500. After replacing the head gasket, all new fuel system and ignition system it finally runs great. 79 Chevy luv 4x4 with 100115 actual miles. Or is it 200k. I hate cars that don't have the 6th digit odometer. I do know it sat in a garage for the last 13 years so the 100k is possible.

A bit of rust on the body here and there. Finding a front grill and headlight benzels are nearly impossible. Not sure about the topper yet.

Interior is decent. The drivers side of the bench seat was trashed so I swapped in a set of SL seats. the floor pan has a large rust hole under the gas pedal. Going to weld in a patch panel then roll-on bed liner the floor.

Good running 1.8 Isuzu motor with a 4 speed. 80hp strong. I powedercoated a few parts while it was apart. Air cleaner, valve cover, the water pump pulley, and a few brackets here and there. Still dirty but a whole lot better then it was. Eventually I'm going to swap a 4.3 v6 into it.

I have simple plans for it. My first car was a 80 luv so I'm going to build this how I wanted to build the other one when I was a kid. A lot taller tires. Maybe 30x9.50x15 mudders. The suspension is lifted 3" rich now but I might be able to get another inch out of it.

Add some lights and bumpers. Bed line the bed and lower body panels. With some more cleaning and wiring it should be a decent winter truck.

Comments?

2. Likes dwillimon, rubensw2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're lucky about rust in the south
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2003 BMW e46
    2001 Saturn SC2 - Forged with everything but boost - FOR SALE PM FOR MORE INFO
    1998 Ford Ranger

4. Likes rubensw2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4.3 vs is a great motor. might have a better time with a 3.8 out of a camaro or firebird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4.3 is junk, unless you get the later ones that had the balance shaft (not that you have to keep the balance shaft operational, though). They throw the #1 rod at 100K, +/- 20%. Seen way too many of them go that way. But there again, many people don't take care of engines, either, so that could be skewing the results I've seen.

Stick with the 3800 (they'll put up with just about anything), or go with something different. For that matter, the Luv was kind of funky in its own right, might be good just to mildly upgrade what is there. I assume there might be some later isuzu parts that could help it make a little more power...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I luv it.

8. Likes rubensw2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy View Post
    I luv it.
    This guy right here.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

10. Likes rubensw2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    4.3 is junk, unless you get the later ones that had the balance shaft (not that you have to keep the balance shaft operational, though). They throw the #1 rod at 100K, +/- 20%. Seen way too many of them go that way. But there again, many people don't take care of engines, either, so that could be skewing the results I've seen.

Stick with the 3800 (they'll put up with just about anything), or go with something different. For that matter, the Luv was kind of funky in its own right, might be good just to mildly upgrade what is there. I assume there might be some later isuzu parts that could help it make a little more power...

Our Saturn 1.9s spits out rods too. I was looking at the 4.3 because it is a simple bolt in. $80 mounts and a set of headers with a center drive shaft change its ready to go. Plus I have a decent running one laying around. I've thought about an Isuzu rodeo v6 but havnt seen any info on doing it yet. They are pretty much are the same chassis. There have been a few turbocharged one using the Isuzu impulse set-up.

But all that is going to be a while down the road. Run this motor till it dies and try finding a good 5 speed tranny for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toka100 View Post
    But all that is going to be a while down the road. Run this motor till it dies and try finding a good 5 speed tranny for it.
    I second the motion for the camaro 3800 swap. They come with a decent 5 speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will look into the 3. 8. All a matter of if I can find an oil pan that will clear the front diff. That's what's keeping me from dropping a 350 into it. I really don't think I want to tackle a solid front axle swap yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13b?
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

15. Likes siris, rubensw2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Bretz View Post
    13b?
    Listen to him.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by siris View Post
    listen to him.
    dont give him the stick...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 3800 is a common swap in the luv it seems. Thats the motor I would run if it were mine. I actually plan on building an s10 for my son that is the 3800 from a comaro or firebird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool project. Subscribing.
    It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol. I can't recall the last time I saw one of these. I think the last one in Michigan turned to rust sometime around 1985.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made some progress with my truck this weekend. First off I replaced the rear u joints. The old ones were completely destroyed. Most likely original. I sprayed the radiator support flat black. I still havnt found a grill yet. I'm looking into getting a gig welder so I might just build my own grill from some aluminum stock.

The floor pan was bad on the drivers side. The po instead of fixing it just laid layers or carpet over the holes. I cut most of it out and am replacing it with 16g steel diamond plate. Kinda of a bitch to bend into the shapes I need even with a metal brake. I screwed it in place to hold it till I get it all welded up. Ran out of wire for the mig so it is in just not finished.

J

This is was one of the body Mount bolts. It snapped off with just a little bit of force. I'm sure the others are the same. I guess the body lift is going to be the next step after I finish the floor.

Found a Smitty built bumper for $20 that I'm going to try making work. It is a bit wide but not that bad. It was on a Nissan pickup.

Not sure why the pics are so small all of a sudden.
    Last edited by toka100; 01-31-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update this bitch

Sent from my Fischer price Speak and Spell

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much has changed with this. Other then odometer now says 00453. Been more focused on scrapping out the turbo car and rebuilding the wagon. I really need to get some bigger wheels and tires for it still. The tiny p- rated tires keep me trying to do any kind of off- road driving. I did locate a Isuzu trooper at a pick and pull. Might grab the 5 speed out of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over a year since I updated this thing. For the most part it hasn’t changed much. Expect this last few weeks. It now shows 1099 on th odometer. Which is now wrong. The speedometer stopped working this weekend. I put over 150 miles on it at least in the last 2 days. Back and forth from town and the farm house. Still running great. Found a rollbar/ light bar a few weeks back. It was out of an older Dakota. Width wise it was perfect but length and height was off. I ended up cutting 3 1/2” out of the upright bars and 2” out of the diagonal bars. With a bit of welding and grinding followed by a good coat of spray on bedliner it looks decent. With a pair of 100w kc style light it is starting to look like an 80s truck.
    https://sixthsphere.com/storage2/ima...l209t84az.jpeg

I am thinking about adding a third light between the two. Get rid of th Nicky mouse look Next step is the bedliner in the bed and rockers. Bigger tires are on their way. Looking at some 27x8.50x14 tires. About 3” taller then what’s on there and will keep the stock wheels

25. Likes 99michael liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toka100 View Post
    Over a year since I updated this thing. For the most part it hasn’t changed much. Expect this last few weeks. It now shows 1099 on th odometer. Which is now wrong. The speedometer stopped working this weekend. I put over 150 miles on it at least in the last 2 days. Back and forth from town and the farm house. Still running great. Found a rollbar/ light bar a few weeks back. It was out of an older Dakota. Width wise it was perfect but length and height was off. I ended up cutting 3 1/2” out of the upright bars and 2” out of the diagonal bars. With a bit of welding and grinding followed by a good coat of spray on bedliner it looks decent. With a pair of 100w kc style light it is starting to look like an 80s truck.
    https://sixthsphere.com/storage2/ima...l209t84az.jpeg

I am thinking about adding a third light between the two. Get rid of th Nicky mouse look Next step is the bedliner in the bed and rockers. Bigger tires are on their way. Looking at some 27x8.50x14 tires. About 3” taller then what’s on there and will keep the stock wheels
    Sounds like you've got a plan. Keep us posted, I'd love to see the pics when you're done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast