Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bass chamber/ expansion chamber?

I'm designing a sub box for my sw to fit in the void where the rear washer tank was. Overall size is spot on and should fit nice. But after running the numbers I ended up with .54łof internal airspace. Which is actually right at the low end for the sub I'm going to be running for now. I am wanting to get another .2ł of airspace without polyfill. After googling I can't seem to find any real info on expansion chambers. Basicly a second smaller box added to the back or side of a box to add airspace. Does anyone know any kind of info on specifics with adding one? Later on I will be adding a stronger sub that requires the extra airspace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd google up some sites that have some online calculators that use the Thiele-Small parameters for your specific driver. This info should be published by the speaker manufacturer -- then you can plug in numbers and see what your efficiency and low freq. rolloff will look like with different box designs -- including those that are "too small".

I'm thinking that as long as the coupled boxes are small relative to the wavelength of the highest frequency the sub will produce, they should just act like one box of larger volume. If you couple them with a length of pipe, or a small port between them, then this probably won't be the case.

Sorry for the vague answer, but there are a lot of calculators out there these days that might be of use. If I find something more I'll let you know.
    93 SW1, 95 SW2, 98 SW2, 97 SW1 -- all stick. Wagon hoarder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use calculators online. Also pm'd about something unrelated @toka100
    2001 red Sc2m R.I.P.
    1998 gold Sc2m (Goldylocks) Ms2 turbo construction
    1995 white Sc1.5m N/A (Becky) R.I.P.
    1999 navy blue Outback 2.5m (un named) DD