User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

01 SL 1 MT Frustrating Idle Issue

I have a 2001 Saturn SL1 manual transmission 1.9L 4 cylinder with 187,000 miles and an impossible-to-figure out high idle issue.

A year ago I experienced issues of idling around 2000 RPM whenever the clutch was pushed in or the car was in neutral, either at a stop light or in traffic.

Since then I've had the intake manifold gasket replaced, the TPS changed twice, the IAC changed twice, PCV, EGR, MAP sensor, and 02 sensors replaced. The thermostat was replaced 2 weeks ago after the car was failing to heat up beyond the 1/4 mark to the 1/2 where it should be. It now heats up properly.

Since the initial problem of the car always idling around 2000, it now intermittently will idle around 1600-1700 as if it were "stuck" there and will reset to normal if I quickly turn off and on the car.
    I have a scanner and have been recording live data to try and gain more information. I noticed when the idle is stuck too high the TPS (%) is sound 2.9 and when it's fine it's in the 1's.
    Yesterday when I returned home from work and the car was stuck idling too high I plugged in the scanner, noticed the TPS (%) was stuck at the 2.9; it dropped down to 1.1 and the idle dropped with it, for about 15 seconds, then rose back up on its own to 2.9.

I also have an error code which hasn't triggered a light, but the code is U1301.

Last weekend I replaced the ECU with another ECU taken off of an old Saturn SL1. I was able to perform the relearn procedure and everything went smoothly. Unfortunately the idle issue has not been solved. When driving into work I noticed the car was once again idling up towards 2000 RPMs when stuck in traffic (when I'd have to clutch in or shift to neutral).

Any ideas at all? I am stumped.

Thanks for any ideas.

I also would like to mention that the throttle body has been cleaned out twice and the hole where the MAP sensor sits was cleaned, and the IAC valve was cleaned out as well. There is definitely a carbon build up in the car, but I don't know if that's the ultimate issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ZombieSatty @S.Bretz (tagging because has EPIC tech knowledge/experience for weird stuff that I can't figure out at times)
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2002 Saturn SL1 - RHD
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECTS)? The original sensor from the factory was likely the resin tipped sensor which is prone to cracking and failure. In mid 2001 they changed to a brass tipped sensor to rectify this issue. This sensor will cause high idle and rich running if it fails. The connector should be inspected too and replaced (soldered not crimped) if coolant has leaked through and caused corrosion. Be sure to replace with the brass tipped version which will run you around $15. They are easy to switch out with minimal coolant loss. Here's a write up >> http://saturnseries.net/DIY%20Guides...eries-ECTS.htm which I think the originating source is from Saturnfans.com

This is a good resource to read too >> http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132844
    Last edited by trottida; 02-09-2016 at 12:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tps should read 0.45-0.5v in the fully closed position.....if it reads a little too high the car thinks you are pressing the gas pedal and opens up the iac. The iac is opened as an anti stall strategy so that the engine doesn't die when you let off the gas....it will use the iac to slow down the fast change in air volume consumption.

You can sometimes loosen the iac and turn it a hair to get the idle position reading to change.
    If you cant then you should start by adjusting the base idle.
    With your engine up to operating temp run the engine and put your finger over the iac hole to block.it off. The idle adjustment screw should be adjusted until the engine rpm is between 450-500. Once you get that set then check the voltage of the tps at idle...it should be correct.

You may need to reset the pcm after adjusting the base idle....the iac starts to do whacky things after you plug it off with your finger.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you still have issues after setting the base idle and adjusting the iac and you keep seeing the tps % going up i would check for a bad connection on the voltage drain/low ref circuit for the tps...high resistance will on that line will cause higher tps readings.

Oh....clean your throtte.body before fucking with anything.

6. Likes SC2Sick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Sir Bretz, and he definitely has seniority over my troubleshooting. Set the base idle and make sure the IAC is seated correctly. Double check that the Oring seal on the IAC is in good shape.

My gut says odd vac leak or something but the fluctuating TPS voltage is concerning. Could be a elec issue like Bretz mentioned. Try to get it to act up or change behavior while running by wiggling the sensor harnesses. TPS voltage shouldn't fluctuate like that.
    It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieSatty View Post
    I agree with Sir Bretz, and he definitely has seniority over my troubleshooting. Set the base idle and make sure the IAC is seated correctly. Double check that the Oring seal on the IAC is in good shape.

My gut says odd vac leak or something but the fluctuating TPS voltage is concerning. Could be a elec issue like Bretz mentioned. Try to get it to act up or change behavior while running by wiggling the sensor harnesses. TPS voltage shouldn't fluctuate like that.
    It's tough to say for sure, but one time I was able to pop the hood while the car was idling too high and I smacked the cable/harness around the TPS and the idle dropped down to where it should be. But of course, when I tried to do it again the next time, nothing changed, so I don't know if it was just pure coincidence or not.

I will look into setting the baseline idle when I get some free time. That's something I have not attempted before. But to clarify, how would I check the voltage to the TPS? Is that just with the scanner or do I need to use a voltmeter?

If nothing else, this has been a great learning experience for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Volt meter. Actually here's a thing to check too that comes to mind.. there is a little rubber nipple that goes on the throttle linkage right after the bracket. I've had that get stuck on the throttle spring and cause it to not retract all the way. See if that happened to fall of. If it did take a set of side cutters or scissors and just cut it off, it won't hurt anything, mine is like that.
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2002 Saturn SL1 - RHD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need a volt meter. If you don't have one you can pick up a cheap one from harbor freight or radio shack. It won't be the best meter but it will do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this same problem on two s series. One was a failed new ects. Maybe a month old. And the other was a bad ects connector. So I used a spare connector from the plastic air duct. 1st was 95sw2 and 2nd was 01sw2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bad CTS will not make the tps reading at idle change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Msevans View Post
    I had this same problem on two s series. One was a failed new ects. Maybe a month old. And the other was a bad ects connector. So I used a spare connector from the plastic air duct. 1st was 95sw2 and 2nd was 01sw2
    I will take a look at the ECTS tomorrow. I plan to clean the throttle body during the day. Does autozone or a car store like
    that sell the brass-tipped ones? Also do they sell new connectors if that's the problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should have a sensor but probably won't have the connector.
    I always got mine from the dealer since I work there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

I took off and cleaned the throttle body, it was loaded with carbon. I have not driven it yet, but I will report back when I do.

I do have a new twist in my saga to ask you all about:

1. When removing the throttle body, the park that sits on top of the throttle body itself, with two black hoses, one hard plastic and one rubber, snapped. The plastic snapped near the base. What is this part called, and would malfunctions in that system lead to a P0440 code? I have been getting an SES light recently.

2. I bought a new ECTS that is brass but I haven't switched it out yet bc of the issues with the hard plastic hose snapping.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vac hose manifold is for the evap system...that is why you are getting and evap leak code.

I suppose you can run a screw into the part that goes onto the throttle body until you get another one. Best bet would be to hit a junk yard up. It attaches to the evap purge solenoid on the back of the engine under the intake manifold. The code will not hurt drivability.

The code is setting because when the purge solenoid opens there is supposed to be slight vacuum pulled on the fuel tank. A pressure sensor in the tank will read the vacuum. If the engine can't pull the vapor from the broken hose then the pressure sensor reading doesn't change and the system detects an Evaporative system leak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information. I will have to look into securing a new vacuum hose at some point. The SES light is annoying to look at.

Quick update, I wanted to give it a few days before reporting back... I still haven't replaced the ECTS because I haven't had time but after cleaning the throttle body, which was covered in soot/carbon, the car does seem to be behaving well. Not once in 5 trips to and from Boston (45 miles of highway and stop and go driving) has the RPMs been stuck at the elevated 1800-2100 RPM range. The only thing I've noticed is the rolling idle, meaning the car is clutched in or the car is neutral but still moving forward, is consistently 1100 RPMs. When I come to a stop and still in neutral/clutched in, the RPMS settle down to a nice 650-700 range. Is it normal for the rolling idle to be higher than when the car is stationary?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a little maybe yeah, probably not that much though. Those ones are prone to intake leaks but I thought you had ruled that out previously.
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2002 Saturn SL1 - RHD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it might be wise to test again... Do you recommend spraying something like carb-cleaner all over the throttle body to test for a leak?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like normal idle behavior to me. That's how mine acts.
    It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, mine does that too. probably to aid new drivers at low speeds or something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast