Resident Electromotive Expert importsdontlikeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electromotive engine management

This will be a lengthy post but I encourage all that are serious about aftermarket performance no matter the vehicle to read this.

I am now a Electromotive products vendor and I am doing this to help the community. I have seen thread after thread of MS issues. Having personal experience with BOTH systems I know that the Electromotive system is easier to install, set up, use and most importantly the accuracy and performance of the electromotive system is unsurpassed. I want to help all that want to give it a try by passing along my vendor discount.

A little history on my background with Electromotive.. years ago I purchased a purple box Tec3 back before I boosted the coupe from a guy who used to have a claimed 630hp SC2 he did not provide proof of that claim but judging by all of the things that he was selling I know he was making power. I then tracked down information on Electromotive and to my surprise their headquarters was 30min from where we lived at the time. I met Uwe when I dropped by for a visit and he gave me a tour of the whole place. Very good people there. I also met Jon the engineer behind the Wintec4 system. Uwe and Jon both got me started on tuning and rode in the coupe back when I S/C it. I have kept in touch with them over the years. Fast forward until just a few months ago Uwe asked me to test out their new prototype platform in the wagon I accepted gladly. Through this process Uwe asked if I wanted to become a vendor also accepted gladly.

In order to help the community I will pass my discount along to you guys. I'm not in this for the money. I have a full time job that pays the bills. Over my time on the sphere I have seen alot of problems due to poor engine management. I am genuinely doing this to help the community get there hands on a solid platform at a reasonable price. If you're willing to spend thousands of dollars on building your motor then you should be able to justify buying a rock solid engine management system.

Will MS work? Yes. Can you make decent power with MS? Yes. Are you planning on doing a low boost, only fuel control budget build, MS is probably for you. However, the electromotive system offers something that MS and others do not. The heart of all of the Tec systems are designed around the ultra high resolution ignition system that Electromotive invented 30 years ago. Electromotive invented the 60-2 trigger set up. The DNA of the Tec systems is solely designed around that system. They will not work with any other trigger set up and that makes them very very good at what they do. Unlike the jack of all trades set up that dumb down the input signals to meet the needs of the platform the 60-2 trigger is native to all of the Tec systems. All of the Tec systems are also closed loop dwell control ignition. They regulate the output voltage of every ignition event so you don't have under or overcharged coils. They also regulate ignition event dwell time so that you don't get to short/long of an event. Many automotive manufactures have licensed the Electromotive patent and almost all of them are now using high resolution ignition.

So what does this mean? It means that when you run electromotive systems you are running with the best ignition system money can buy. Ignition timing is absolutely critical to a healthy running engine. When you set your ignition advance the electromotive system is going to keep it there. Even under rapid engine acceleration. Your motor will accelerate smoother, quicker and it will last longer. Motors like when they are timed correctly, motors run better with ultra high resolution ignition period.

As far as the fuel side of the electromotive systems they aren't much different. The reason I like them is how user friendly the tuning program is. You can punch in a few numbers and be driving your car around in less then an hour off of tune from scratch that the Wintec program spits out. It does take time to get everything perfect but that's the same with any system. You can download the tuning software for free and see for yourself. http://electromotive.com/wp-content/...C_v411B000.zip

The third point I want to make about the Electromotive system is how easy they are to install. Every feature they offer comes standard already built into the system. You will never have to open up the ECU for any reason what so ever. You simply wire in the injectors, sensors, inputs and outputs. Some of the GPO options are A/C control, thermo control, intake runner control, nitrious control, shift light, torque converter control, two custom gpo's and boost control. Some of the GPI options are fuel trim, A/C load, valet switch, datalog, advance trim, gpo trim, nitrous retard and timed power cut. Because the 60-2 trigger is required you will need to acquire a trigger wheel, I can have these made.

All of the Tec systems come boost, nitrous and launch control ready. The base TecS specifically designed for 4cyl has an available 5 (in batch fire) GPI/O's (general inputs and outputs) you can run up to 4 saturated injectors full sequential (3 GPIO's in full sequential) with both units as they are cam trigger ready. Both units offer CAN support. The new TecS 200 has 7 GP0's and 7 GPI's (14 total possible functions) has on board datalog. You can run almost any type of ignition coil with the S 200 for those who like to run COP. The S 200 also can run 4 wire IAC, VVT among alot of really nice features. Both systems offer individual cylinder trims. Both of these systems are very affordable. The base TecS now retails for $899 and the TecS 200 retails for $1199. I can beat those prices so send me a PM. I will even take time out of my day to speak with any of you on the phone that are interested. All systems come with a warranty and are all designed, manufactured and supported right here in the USA. Manassas, Virgina to be exact.

My experience with MS was not good. I have always had phenomenal luck with Electromotive systems. The coupe ran so well when I dialed in the tune it was like a factory ECU. You could start it cold and just drive, no hesitations, phenomenal throttle response. Everything worked like it should. I want to share my experience with the community and hopefully see a turn around in builds for the better.
    Last edited by importsdontlikeme; 07-24-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to keep this thread open for any questions anyone may have. Don't hesitate to ask no matter how dumb you think the question is. That way people can reference this to hopefully answer the commonly asked questions.

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sold on it. MS seems like a nightmare.

4. Likes importsdontlikeme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christ...a wall of text...I'll stick to MS.

...Haven't touched the tune in months and it runs perfect.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam I figured of all people wanting to switch you wouldn't be one of them. I know you have had good luck with MS.

I will say though It's hard to form an unbiased opinion if you have only ever ran MS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I few members saw that I was selling before I posted this so I wanted to share the questions they asked.

Q: What is involved with getting the Tec to control fuel and spark?
    A: All of the Tec systems are ready for fuel and spark. Unless you purchase one of their ignition only systems but those are designed for people who want to run carburetors. You will have to cut out the original power harness and splice in the electromotive harness. This is pretty much the same for any stand alone system. All of your sensor inputs and component outputs will now go into the Tec system. When I did the coupe harness I purchased as many new connectors as possible. (less splicing) That way the harness had less connections from the Tec to the sensor. Wiring in Electromotive coils is one of the easiest parts of the install. All of the new harnesses come with the coil output weather pack connector already installed in the harness. You simply mount the coils wherever you want and plug in the ignition harness to the coil pack. Couldn't be easier and because the coils and Tecs are designed to work with each other there is no configuring needed. All you have to do is tell the Tec what type of engine you have and how many injectors you are running and boom you're ready to control fuel and spark.

Q: Will I need the replacement crank pulley if I go Electromotive? Or was that for the MS guys? (referring to Johns crank trigger kits)
    A: Yes you absolutely will need the 60-2 crank pulley and a MAG sensor at a minimum. The HALL sensors provide a bit more electrical noise resistance however, I have always had good luck with the MAG sensors. HP works is the company who now does all the machine work for Electromotive. Electromotive used to do in house trigger machining. John got all of his crank pulleys machined from HP works. You can get a trigger plate machined if you want to run the 3rd gen pulleys with the balancer.

Q: How can I install a cam sensor? For full sequential set ups.
    A: Tecs are all cam sensor ready. You'll need to run a trigger on the intake cam gear. The adjustable cam gears are one way to do this. You can run all quality stainless screws in the gear except for one steel and the cam sensor will pick up on the steel screw. You'll want to put the steel screw on the gear before cyl #1 intake valve opens. The Tec will automatically fire the #1 injector when the intake valve is open and follow the firing order for the rest of the cylinders.

Q:Can you run multiple tunes on demand?
    A: With the current TecS there is no way to switch to a different tune without connecting to your laptop. With the new TesS 200 I am not sure if this will be an option yet or not. However, I will say using the GPI's you can add or subtract fuel and timing with a switch. So you can have a eco mode if you like (a few degrees less timing and less fuel) and a power mode (add a few degress of timing and fuel to support it) I will say though if tuned properly there isnt any reason for a different tune unless you want to go from pump gas to race gas. If you keep your foot out of it with any system that's tuned properly you can achieve phenomenal fuel economy and make great power at the same time. I tune my cruising AFR's in the 16's but then when in boost 12-11's.

Q: Will I be able to modify the tune after wintec spits out a base tune?
    A: Yes you will have total control of every aspect of the engine. It is recommended that you do alot of reading before attempting to tune a car or have a professional tuner show you how to tune if you know someone or just pay someone to tune your car for you. Tuning isn't for everyone and you can destroy your motor if you do it incorrectly. I will post some basic how to videos as i get time.
    Last edited by importsdontlikeme; 05-01-2016 at 07:00 PM.

8. Likes ZombieSatty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is exactly what I have been waiting for. I will be sure to keep in touch with you about this. I'm thinking about buying the Electromotive EMS for my green car, and using it before the built motor goes in. Mainly to familiarize myself with it, and to see what kind of gains I could pick up over the stock pcm.
    -Ron
    1997 SC1 w DOHC swap
    RPM Shop .037" shaved head, Dual intake cam mod, ewp, 1850# RW, stock tune 13.22 @ 102.32 mph 1.93 60' 11/2015

More seat time and better ET's (12's n/a?) in 2016

10. Likes importsdontlikeme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link the the TecS installation/user manual. If you take time to read this you can install the TecS without any issues.

I printed out my manual and put it in a binder. It's great to have handy when doing any Tec installation and for referencing operations.

http://electromotive.com/wp-content/...Manual-1.2.pdf

12. Likes dwillimon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TECs showed up yesterday! Thanks Brett!
    1995 SC2 turbo/project car. Shaved/tucked bay and boost. The anti-drug. Broken 4 LIFE
    1999.5 Audi A4 1.8tqm Heavy, comfy, and stock. For now....

"How long does a clutch last" How long does a pussy last? All depends on how you abuse it.

14. Likes importsdontlikeme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oooooooooo shiny.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those possibly interested ^ This is the TecS with harness and coils. The only thing you would need in addition to this is the the trigger wheel and MAG or HALL sensor.

All of the factory Saturn sensors are compatible with the Tec systems except for the crappy factory crank trigger.

If you plan on boost you will need a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor depending on your goals.

You can get the MAP sensors just about anywhere however, Electromotive also sells all the sensors you would need. If you are interested in a complete package we can set that up and include it with the Tec system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you plan to boost I would skip to the 3 bar sensor... don't waste time/money with a 2bar.

PS: my MS has a 4 bar soo.. :nananabooboo:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You only want to use what you need really. Because the sensors run off a 0-5v signal you'd be cutting the usable range of the sensor down if only running say 15psi with a 3 or 4 bar sensor. The sensor would never use the full voltage range if it's way to big effectively limiting accuracy. It's a hard concept to explain but there is some math behind it.

FWD < 4 Bar

RWD = 4 Bar +

19. Likes Joel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically... but you really only need so much resolution..past that and you don't notice anything.

There will be 1024 digital "steps" once the controller converts from analog to digital. Even with a 10 bar sensor you will have about one "step" for every 1 kpa....so how much resolution do you really need?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want ALL of the resolution

I understand what you're saying though.

22. Likes 99michael liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know exactly NOTHING about electronic tuning but I building a new engine for my '95 SC-2. I hope someone who uses this will right a detailed installation description that people like me can follow. Thanks.
    As the late great Everett Dirksen said, “One horsepower here, one horsepower there, pretty soon you talking real power.”

As my father always said; It’s not what you know that counts, it's what you think of in time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing the Electromotive systems is very very straight forward. If you can read and understand a basic wiring diagram you'll be fine. I want to post up some how to videos soon I've been super busy lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently finished up a Tes S install on a Miata owned by a good buddy of mine. Car is running exceptionally well. Tonight we just finished up the turbo install and the car saw 3-4psi in the tuning process. We are both very happy with how well the car is running anyone with a Miata on the forum Electromotive sells a PNP kit for the Miata and they work very well.

Anyone coming to H2O my wagon and his Miata will both be there running on the TecS and TecS200 for those who want to see first hand what Electromotive is all about.

I have been extremely busy lately I do plan on posting some how to videos soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

26. Likes leighv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did my first install and tune all in one day this weekend. TecS in RJ's boosted 95 SL2.

He did lend a helping hand but we were able to do the entire install and get the car running/driving/boosting all in one day. Roughly 9 hours total. Car was running exceptionally well when he drove it home and he couldn't be happier.

I'm still selling the systems for anyone possibly interested. I also do the installs at my place so if you can get your car to my house I can install it and street tune it. I do charge for installs but I am still offering a discount to the community for the systems themselves.

28. Likes dwillimon, seanbaker1273 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First pic is the 1st gen TecS I installed in my dads 95 SC2.

Second is 2nd gen TecS (the system we just installed in RJ's car).

Third is what the 60-2 trigger wheel looks like.

Last pic is Ron's TecS 200 setup that we installed in his fully gutted 97 SC2

Last edited by importsdontlikeme; 07-24-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast