User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spare Tire Well Subwoofer Box

Hello everyone,

I am making this post as the planning steps for my first journey into the car audio world. My goal is not to create a competition-class audio build but make something that sounds great on a decent-sized budget. Also, I have some pretty specific requirements that are driving the direction of my build. I did some research on this website and others and did not find answers for all of my questions so I am going to offer up my ideas for expert opinions.

For reference this build is going to be taking place in my 1995 SC2 in which I am completely rebuilding the interior so pretty much everything of consequence is already ripped out: http://sixthsphere.com/showthread.ph...r-Build-Thread

To start things off I want to list the subs that I am planning on getting. I am going with a sub that has good specs for the price point. I know it is not the best out there but it is certainly not the worst. For what I desire at my budget this is a good buy: Subwoofer Link. I am planning on getting two of these as a part of a really good deal with an amp https://jet.com/product/2-Hifonics-BRZ12SQD4-12-2400-Watt-Car-Subwoofers-SubsMono-AmplifierAmp-Kit/. My goal here is not to debate the choices I have made for a subwoofer but to discuss mounting options.

As anyone that has an SC2 knows, there is not much space in the trunk. A subwoofer box for two of these 12"s will take up a large majority of that lack of space. I frequently travel and require my trunk space to haul cargo. So I want sound without the annoyance of losing my trunk space. So my proposal is this: what about using the spare tire well as a sealed subwoofer box? Even with the spare tire still in the well there should be plenty of space. I already plan to put down two layers of butyl mat in the spare tire well as part of sound deadening procedures currently in progress. My plan is to run a large board of MDF across the entire spare tire well opening and seal around the edges of the "box" using compressible material and bolts through the floor. Then I will put slight recesses into the MDF board so that with grills on the subs they will sit flush with the MDF surface. This will create a uniform area for cargo and give me bass and space. At least that is what I am thinking. The spare-tire well is roughly 24" x 28.5" x 9.5" (L x W x D), so the sealed box would be about 3.76 cubic feet not counting the actual spare tire, jack, and other equipment in the box. I calculated the volume of the spare tire to be roughly 0.65 cubic feet and the other stuff in there will probably be something to the effect of 0.2 cubic feet. So the end result will be a box of ~3 cubic feet of a shared box. The technical information for the subwoofer says that a sealed box of 1-1.75 cubic feet is optimal with more being better.

So now that I have all of my info out there... is this a good idea? Again, I am looking for good bass but having no huge subwoofer box is just as important. I have seen some spare tire well builds that use fiberglass. I am not sure if I would need this or not. If I can ensure the seal between the MDF and the trunk surface is complete, would fiberglass still be necessary? I guess another concern would be that the spare tire well metal would rattle but I would hope to reduce this. Before I start this build I am open to any other opinions or input that could help me make good decisions. In case you don't have an SC2, I have included an OK picture of the spare tire well with nothing in it for reference. If it helps I can get a better one once it stops pouring.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 cu. ft. should be okay if you have a ported enclosure and then stuff it with poly-fill.
    -2007 Sky Redline 5spd Midnight Blue - RPM Motorsports Stage 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and line everything with sound deadening material. The trunk loves to rattle.
    -2007 Sky Redline 5spd Midnight Blue - RPM Motorsports Stage 2

4. Likes importsdontlikeme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure your going to have enough room for everything to physical fit. The spread tire And a pair of 12" sub's with 6 something inch mounting depth? Granted I've never looked at the spare tire well in an 95 sc but I'm sure its not too different then my 94 sw. There is hardly any room with the spare in there.

I was at one time thinking about this single sub. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13613TW...9191425&awdv=m

Flip the spare upside down and build a box inside the spare tire rim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs_saturn View Post
    Oh and line everything with sound deadening material. The trunk loves to rattle.
    I already bought a bunch of this stuff and am doing it to the rest of the car as well. I was messing around with it today and I think that even with multiple layers of the stuff that the trunk well is still going to rattle. I guess I can give it a try and if it doesn't work I can line it with fiberglass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toka100 View Post
    Are you sure your going to have enough room for everything to physical fit. The spread tire And a pair of 12" sub's with 6 something inch mounting depth? Granted I've never looked at the spare tire well in an 95 sc but I'm sure its not too different then my 94 sw. There is hardly any room with the spare in there.

I was at one time thinking about this single sub. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13613TW...9191425&awdv=m

Flip the spare upside down and build a box inside the spare tire rim.
    I think I can make it fit. I might have to raise up the height of the trunk deck a little bit, but if done properly I could use the spare tire as an internal support for the 12's. The spare tire I am using is from a '04 Ion so I don't know if this is smaller or not than the S-series one. It is about 4.5" tall. If I placed a board over the opening to the spare tire well it is about 9.5" to the bottom of the well, so to get this mounting depth and use the tire as a support I will need to raise it up about 2", which isn't really that much. Of course this is all conjecture right now but I am going to measure everything multiple times before I commit the resources to building this contraption.

To make this project easier I have considered going without the spare but I live very close to the middle of nowhere with no cell reception. However, getting stuck on the side of the road is not a risk that I am willing to take.

Thank you for the suggestion of the shallow-mount sub. I had looked at a number of these but their power outputs are not as much as I am looking to make. But I am going to go this route if I can't make the measurements work out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it looks like my plans are changing. I was able to secure some amps for a better price so I think I am going to go with a single 12" Alpine subwoofer. The sub works best in a 1 cubic foot sealed box, which I can easily make fit without having to seal up the entire spare tire well (a much easier project). I can just make it an odd shape and use MDF or 2x3 bracing to hold everything in place. I am hoping to put down some sound deadener this weekend (if it does get above 53F) and then I can get to building the box. A single 12 should have a much better time fitting than those two square 12's.