User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the detailed info.

Sorry -- I realized earlier today I had already asked the CV replacement question and received the OEM replacement advice. Dodo dodo do dododododo

However, the detail you just provided on replacement technique is invaluable. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another necropost to close out this thread (hate leaving them w no resolution.

And the issue was.......2 bent rims.

Just so happens that when initially trying to diag this situation, the first thing I did was to rotate the tires. Car behaved the same.
    Never thought about the fact that I could have more than 1 bent rim......when I did the rotation, I moved a bent rim from front to back AND a different bent rim from back to front. So when I drove it, it was still vibrating.

I checked everything under the sun and everything from under the Saturn and could not find the root cause of the vibration because .....there were no issues there.

Root cause: 2 bent/untrue wheels + some uneven wear (cupping) since I started this thread was causing the vibration AND the seeming directionality/worsening when cruising at highway speeds around curves. For the record, I have never wrecked a set of tires due to misalignment on my 95 or 97 SC2 in 20 years. Guess there's a first for everything.

Got the car aligned today and put both bad wheels on the back. First vibration free highway run up to 73 mph in longer than I can remember.
    It's funny how the alignment shop told me twice along the way that none of my wheels were out of true. Today I stood with them at the balancer and watched them suddenly discover 2 of them bent.
    They said -- "oh that's not bad at all".
    I said. "Really? Put the two bad ones on the front and I'll let you drive it."
    ------------
    Ending thought: This being a 21 yr old 265K (85K on rebuilt engine, burns no oil) vehicle with body in shiny good shape (exc spoiler but duh), do I consider getting reman wheels off of ebay for 100 each or just live with it? I'm a stock guy since I can't afford a turbo or LSJ swap. Getting only two remans would look stupid as fuck with the other two that are not trashed but they have passed their prime.

Someone please talk me down off the ledge
    1997 Saturn SC2 M/T 256k DD
    1995 Saturn SC2 M/T 234k given to nephew, just got parked fully functional -- slated for turbo
    2008 Saturn Vue XR A/T 103k 3-5-R then totalled at 5 mph
    1992 Saturn SL2 M/T 42k traded in to to get the 97 SC2 above
    ----------
    Everything you say to me
    Takes me one step closer to the edge
    And I'm about to break
    I need a little room to breathe
    Cause I'm one step closer to the edge
    And I'm about to break

Shut up when I'm talking to you
    Shut up, shut up, shut up
    Shut up when I'm talking to you
    Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your case, maybe just go the reman route, or find some inoffensive aftermarket wheels in the same size.

Junkyards have a crapload of stock 4x100 wheels, Saturn or otherwise.
    It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12