Thread: 1999 Sleeper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1999 Sleeper

Hello everyone!

I have been working on my project 1999 SL2 for over a year now. I have been using this sight almost daily for deals and finding ways to complete my build.
    I have completed;
    - Sandblast and repaint all suspension hard parts. (steering knuckles, rear subframe, ect)
    - Replaced outer tie rod ends. (Moog problem solvers)
    - Replaced all the wheel bearings and hubs with Moog.
    - Replaced all bushings with energy suspension bushings. (black)
    - Converted Rear brakes to disc. (EBC stage 4 pads and slotted rotors all around )
    - Installed stainless steel brake lines.
    - Replaced from control arms.
    - HR springs and KYB struts.
    - New 255LPH high pressure fuel pump.
    - Removed Air bags (keep the original steering wheel.
    - Installed harness bar
    - Installed 4 point harness.
    - Finished modifying trim to fit harness bar.
    - Removed EVAP system.
    - Painted and install catback OBX exhaust (2.5 IN)
    Getting Ready to do;
    - Replace tan interior with grey seats and carpet.
    - Paint all trim pieces black. (waiting on weather to stop sucking its been too cold and wet here for the type of paint I am using)
    - Remove rest of SRS system wiring.
    - Go thru wiring harness and clean up grounds.
    - Move battery to trunk.
    - Remove engine and trans out of donor car
    - Get back built engine
    - Add all accessories to engine.
    - finish with wiring
    - Build MS.
    - Reseal up transmission. (yes it has a quaff in it)
    - Install light weight flywheel and Act 4 puck sprung clutch.
    - Install engine/ transmission.
    - Break it in and enjoy.
    Wish List;
    - Upgrade sounds system. (video head unit and better quality speakers) "Any suggestion on this will be much appreciated."
    - Upgrade to all LED lighting
    - 100 shot of Nitrous
    - Ram Air box at the Driver's side fog light hole.
    - Plasti dip paint job.
    - Lexion windows.
    - Chopped hood and trunk lid.
    - Install factor rear wing.

I will be trying to get some good picture up on here eventually, but my phone takes really bad pictures. Guess I will have to just steal the wife's phone.
    Last edited by rtbahler; 03-14-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice build! I would love to see pictures of it. I am looking into a rear disc conversion, and a megasquirt setup.
    What MS did you go with? What is it controlling? I have put a Turbo into my 96 sc2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to use the MS2 but i have a lot more research ahead of me due to i need to set up coil on plug, sequential injection, and I want the Nitrous to be controlled by the MS. Also I want to get some of the pictures up as soon as possible, I was going to try and steal my wife's phone this weekend and take a few at least to satisfy everyone hunger to see the progress of these turds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ms2 isn't going to like running cops. You could get or build a coil driver and run the cop.

Another thing with cop's you'll need an external crank trigger, unless you get a VR conditioner to pull from the crank sensor, or use an obd1 ICM to provide you with a clean tach signal.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really wish you all were closer I am one of those quick learning hard works, and would love to help you around your shops and learn all this stuff you have all done! In the mean time back in no where Indiana, what would your cheapest best starting set up recommendation? I am sure I have asked this before, but if i was going to go to DIY right now and order stuff what would you all suggest? Also it will have a cam sensor, the hall sensor will be in the timing cover and the bolt in the intake cam gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Gentlemen I wanted to give you all some eye candy of what is currently going on. I just got done mounting the cross section of this harness bar, and yes I spent the time to make the interior panels fit. additionally I have to extend the bars that sit back on the system by 10". Finally there are some of the photos of the color I am changing the all the interior plastic pieces too.

Last edited by rtbahler; 03-31-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Harness bar is way too high.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was doing my research and according to an article on Jegs they mounting point for the seat belts need to be between 5 to 30 degrees above the shoulders of the drivers shoulders. my bar is with in that range. What are your suggestions? Did I use a bad article for installing this?
    Last edited by rtbahler; 03-31-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rtbahler View Post
    I was doing my research and according to an article on Jegs they mounting point for the seat belts need to be between 5 to 30 degrees above the shoulders of the drivers shoulders. my bar is with in that range. What are your suggestions? Did I use a bad article for installing this?
    How tall are you? I'm 5'11" and it seems like it would be about 2-3" too high for me. But you are not me, and if you have actually done research on the subject then take my commentary with a grain of salt.

When I see stuff like this I always assume that there has been no research done, and always picture some kid with a flat brim hat trying to RACECAR. My apologies if it seems I've insulted your intelligence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Siris, come one man you are one of the Gurus on here, and I would love you to challenge me as much as possible. From what I can tell I feel the article I have been using from Jegs was way wrong. The only good news is that I can easily have the bar modified to meet within this new specification. For now though I will be using the OEM till I have some more time to finish this. Additionally due to my size I don't feel the seats that I have are a good fit, so keep an eye out for some race car seats in the Sell section.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm far from a guru, I just read a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Everyone Sorry for the drop off, but in short the progress has been really slow do to life and all. Currently finishing up replacing all the seals in my transmission, you know don't want oil on my new Act sprung four puck with lightweight flywheel. Also great news! Finally confirmed the guy who sold me the parts car for this project wasn't lying there is a new Quaff in this transmission/fully refreshed transmission! So now I have two Quaffs one new never used and the other seems to be in really good shape/ almost new. I will try and get some pictures up here on my suspension upgrades, brakes, and whatever else i have completed so far.

Also as a side note decided that the harness bar is not the way to go, and just going to use the OEM going forward, it just seems to take away from that sleeper feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interested in selling a quaff?