Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Timing Chain Kit.

Hello everybody.........Iím looking for some advice on a proven Timing Chain Kit.‎ itís for a 1997 SOHC (LK0/L24)
    I m looking to avoid on make a Mistake with this critical application.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Cloyes when OEM wasn't available
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2003 BMW e46
    1997 Saturn SC2 Turbocharged - Build Thread
    1998 Ford Ranger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankensaturn1bol View Post
    Hello everybody.........I’m looking for some advice on a proven Timing Chain Kit.‎ it’s for a 1997 SOHC (LK0/L24)
    I m looking to avoid on make a Mistake with this critical application.

Thank you
    my advice would be buy the cheapest thing on rockauto (likely cloyes or enginetech), and INSPECT IT when it arrives! if there's any issue rockauto has excellent customer service and a great return policy.

check every single link and roller on the chain, make sure the tensioner plunger cannot extend itself enough to pop out of the body of the tensioner, ensure the guides and sprockets are fine, and you should have no issue. i've had success with enginetech a couple times, and a friend has also gotten an enginetech timing chain that was missing 3 rollers, which he did not inspect and installed to much pain later. i've pulled a motor apart that had a cloyes set in it and the tensioner flew apart as soon as i undid the bolts, but everything else was fine and i reused it. in my experience every brand can and likely will mess up but if you check everything before you put it in you can catch any defects.

basically it doesn't hurt to be cheap because your options are all decent, but for fuck's sake triple check everything before you even throw away the packing sheet!
    tethys - 1994 sw2 ll0+mp3 - dark blue and white - current dd, rescued from 4 years sitting in a field. power nothing.
    mimas - 1996 sw1 rolling chassis - gold - in the garage about to receive its new drivetrain.
    rings - 1996 sl2 ll0+mp2 - purple and gold - my first saturn and former dd. finally repaired after being rear-ended. "soon" to be a lot faster.
    janus - 2000 sc2 l24+mp2 - very sunburned red and purple - yes, sohc. 243kmi on the 2000 sl1 motor/transmission... 32-35mpg. boyfriend's dd.

russel - 1991 jeep cherokee sport 4.0 i6+aw4 auto+np231/d30/d35 4wd - silver, primer, and rust - body modded 4x4 toy/welding practice -- no lift whatsoever! kicks ass on the trail anyway.

phoebe - 1995 sl1 - silver and teal - got me into wrenching. traded for mimas. i'll miss it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
    my advice would be buy the cheapest thing on rockauto (likely cloyes or enginetech), and INSPECT IT when it arrives! if there's any issue rockauto has excellent customer service and a great return policy.

check every single link and roller on the chain, make sure the tensioner plunger cannot extend itself enough to pop out of the body of the tensioner, ensure the guides and sprockets are fine, and you should have no issue. i've had success with enginetech a couple times, and a friend has also gotten an enginetech timing chain that was missing 3 rollers, which he did not inspect and installed to much pain later. i've pulled a motor apart that had a cloyes set in it and the tensioner flew apart as soon as i undid the bolts, but everything else was fine and i reused it. in my experience every brand can and likely will mess up but if you check everything before you put it in you can catch any defects.

basically it doesn't hurt to be cheap because your options are all decent, but for fuck's sake triple check everything before you even throw away the packing sheet!

What went on mine was actually the Guide. But I figure I do the whole thing to be safe.
    Funny thing, I usually go cheap with parts as you suggested; but figured Iíd see whatís available before going forward. Thanks for the precautionary notes. Definitely will save time and effort & $$$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks ....seems like the Cloyes is the way to go