User Tag List

Thread: Engine woes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine woes

Hello everyone! I hope you guys can help me out here and figure out what's going on with my car. It is a 1999 sl2 dohc auto.

I got the car and had sat for 2 years and before I took it home, I got a battery for it and it started right up and ran ok. I was told that the car had a shake and smoke coming out the exhaust. Got it scanned and found out it had a misfire cylinder 1. I have changed the ECTS, plugs and wires, thermostat, top motor mount, valve cover gasket, swapped the 1 4 coil with a junkyard one along with the ICM and no change in the misfire. The shaking eased a little with the new mount but was still there, smoke still there as well. Over the past month, the shaking had gotten worse. There is also a clicking/tapping sputtering noise as it idles and it increases with the rpms. The smoke goes in the same rhythm as the sound. I took the valve cover off to look around again and saw a rocker had come off some how. I put it back in place and started the car and it stalled hard the first time and tried the second time and it ran but, the shake was still there just as bad. The car idles around 1100 and when I put it into reverse, it sputters and shakes even worse and drops to around 900. When it is put in drive, it is very sluggish in getting going and lacks a lot of power.
    So that pretty much puts me where I am at now. I feel like it has a burnt valve(s). The car still has water in it and not losing any fluids and the oil did not come out milky when I changed it when I first got it. Also did a compression test and it read 200, 190, 190, 195 which is weird but I still feel like it's a valve or piston problem.

Here are the videos I have also:
    First video is the car idling and revving the motor up to try and get an idea what it sounds like and what it's doing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2lZF2PCeS0

Second video is just sitting at idle to show the shake that it still has and its in sync with the misfire/sputter. Tranny also shakes with the motor.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W79broAP5Sc

Third and last video is showing the smoke out the exhaust. You can also hear the sputtering there as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuHMEUhv9AU
    Last edited by Racer99'1.9DOHC; 06-22-2017 at 05:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your compression test tells me that your pistons and valves are fine.

Have you reset the PCM since you fixed the rocker?

Have you verified that all the rockers follow the cam while the engine is cranking? Pull the fuel pump relay, or injector fuse, and have someone crank the engine over while you watch the valve train actuate. Everything should move the same amount and in unison.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be the lifters for that cylinder. I have a problem with my 1st cylinder that had no compression when I tested it cold and testing it another time cold, it was within spec. I'm pretty sure I have a dirty/bad lifter causing my weirdness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't compression results come from the rings? Rings could be good but piston still be cracked? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I will not be upset for sure. I would think it would be very hard for a rocker to come from since the cam is usually in constant contact with it? The rocker that came off was around cylinder 3 area and getting a misfire in cylinder 1. The reason I assume it's valves or pistons is because everything increases with rpms and the smoke is in sync with the rpms as those parts are constantly moving. When the engine is idle in park and is revved up some, it ceases smoke for a split second then blows out a big cloud of smoke while revving then goes back to sputtering out during idle like in the video. I did reset the pcm and scanned again after putting the rocker back on and still came up misfire cylinder 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compression is also affected by the valves, lifters, and cam lobes. If the intake side isn't opening to take in air, the cylinder will have low or no compression.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then what can explain the lack of power, cylinder 1 misfire, smoke and sputtering, and a rocker coming off in the cylinder 3 area?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are my live data readings I took a couple weeks ago:

KOEO KOER
    Fuel Sys 1: OL CL
    Fuel Sys 2: NA NA
    Calc load(%): 0.0 37.3
    ECT(*F): 89.6 96.8
    STFT B1(%): 0.0 0.0
    LTFT B1(%): 0.0 0.0
    MAP(inHg): 30.4 13.3
    Eng rpm: 61 1125
    Veh speed: 0 0
    Spark adv(*): 0 -3-27
    IAT(*F): 86.0 84.2
    TPS(%): 0.0 0.4
    O2SLoc B1S12_ _ _ _ _ _
    B2S _ _ _ _ _ _
    O2SB1S1(V): 0.440. 0.185
    STFT B1S1(%): 0.0 0.0
    O2S B1S2(V): 0.440 0.420
    STFT B1S2(%): 99.2 99.2

During my scan I also got this:
    Flashing red icons: CAT, EVA, O2S, EGR

O2S B1S1:
    Rich to Ln theshold:Value 0.540. Min n/a. Max n/a
    Ln to rich threshold: Value 0.540. Min n/a. Max n/a
    Low V for switch: Value 0.345. Min n/a. Max n/a
    High V for switch: Value 0.690. Min n/a. Max n/a
    Rich to Ln line: Value 0.000. Min n/a. Max n/a
    Ln to rich time: Value 0.000. Min n/a. Max n/a

Enhanced evaporative emission system monitor #1 (0.40" leak) $02 (3/8 )
    Module#: $10
    Component ID: $46
    Min: $0DAC
    Max: n/a
    Test value: $0000

Catalyst efficiency steady state monitor $04:
    Module#: 10
    EVAP weak vacuum fail test 1
    Min: n/a
    Max: $7F00
    Test value: $8000

Exhaust gas recirculation system monitor $07:

I have taken the throttle body assembly off and cleaned it and also the EGR valve was removed and cleaned. I blocked the EGR valve opening for the test and no change also.
    Codes I have seen on the scan are:
    P0301 cylinder 1 misfire
    P0702 transmission control system low voltage (history)
    P0351 & p0352 ignition control circuit (FSC DTC (history?))
    P0463 fuel level sending unit input above acceptable voltage (history)

The previous owner said that new coils were put on it 4 years ago and they look new and the towers are clean as clean can be. I haven't done anything with the fuel system yet. Bad filter? Clogged injector? I've read about swapping the injector to see if the code follows but haven't gotten to it yet. To replace a lifter, does it just pullout and put a new one in?
    Hope all this info helps!
    Last edited by Racer99'1.9DOHC; 06-22-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by siris View Post
    Your compression test tells me that your pistons and valves are fine.

Have you reset the PCM since you fixed the rocker?

Have you verified that all the rockers follow the cam while the engine is cranking? Pull the fuel pump relay, or injector fuse, and have someone crank the engine over while you watch the valve train actuate. Everything should move the same amount and in unison.

While cranking and watching, would oil come flying out? Should I cover the plug wells?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No you won't build enough pressure for it to. Running it will fling oil off the cams, but not cranking.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Does anything from my scans stand out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would spray some throttle body cleaner by the #1 intake runner to see if the intake manifold-to-head gasket is leaking...that would cause a misfire on the #1 and cause it to idle high.
    If that is ok you could have a bad injector driver or bad injector. Test for about 13-15ohm of resistance across the injector and use a noid light to test the circuit. If both of those are okay the injector could be clogged or stuck shut.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.