Close

User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Trans Strength?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Augusta GA
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Trans Strength?

    Hey i was just wondering about how strong the stock 3g manual trans are i was planning on buying a ~14ft runabout boat witha total weight of ~1000lbs which is max tow capacity for the saturns, it would only be towed shorter distances and on flatter roads so im not worried to much about the actually power of pulling it but instead if im gonna ruin the clutch / tranny doing it (clutch is a luk replacement)

  2. #2
    siris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Clutch depending on how you take off. Trans will handle it.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Augusta GA
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by siris View Post
    Clutch depending on how you take off. Trans will handle it.
    so dont be a boy racer when im towing an it should be fine? i dont expect no extra wear i just dont want to be changing clutches super often cause of it.

  4. #4
    siris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just be conscious of how much you slip it on takeoff.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Augusta GA
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you think i could go over the 1000lbs? i doubt it but i the Trans and all is just something a bit out of my knowledge. im just finding alot of better boats are ranging in the 1500lb range and im trying to avoid buying a tow vehicle or having dock fees

  6. #6
    6S Resident Hasselhoff. alexofnazareth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,899
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should consider that you're most likely going to have to use an inclined boat ramp with a FWD, open diff turd trying to pull the thing out of the water.
    If you do manage to keep traction, you'll be slipping the clutch like a mother to get the thing moving.
    Your limitation is not what it can do on a flat road, but worst case scenario [Hills from a stop].

    Personally, I would also recommend against towing a boat since the tongue weight will be higher with those styles of trailers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. Livewire View Post
    if you hate seeing money going down the drane

    than do not turbo your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Sixthsphere: Home of newbs, cunts, and Shane Jackson.

  7. #7
    Get off my lawn.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Posts
    8,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexofnazareth View Post
    You should consider that you're most likely going to have to use an inclined boat ramp with a FWD, open diff turd trying to pull the thing out of the water.
    If you do manage to keep traction, you'll be slipping the clutch like a mother to get the thing moving.

    This is the biggest issue. Tongue weight on the back of the car, incline, wet = no traction. Learn to be quick with your feet and really use the ebrake to your advantage. Or better yet, get a different car for this. This is one area where an auto has a huge advantage over a manual.

    The trans itself will be fine, and towing around 1000lbs on most low speed roads will be fine.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Augusta GA
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDarwin View Post
    This is the biggest issue. Tongue weight on the back of the car, incline, wet = no traction. Learn to be quick with your feet and really use the ebrake to your advantage. Or better yet, get a different car for this. This is one area where an auto has a huge advantage over a manual.

    The trans itself will be fine, and towing around 1000lbs on most low speed roads will be fine.
    the particular boat im looking at is mostly trailer and motor weight so there shouldnt be to extraordinary much weight on the tongue. if i try this route i will have a friend with an appropriate vehicle come just in case. it is a 2 seater jet style witha older 115hp engine on it. ~14-16ft

  9. #9
    siris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could always put a wench on the front of the turd.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

  10. #10
    Get off my lawn.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Posts
    8,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If no weight on the tongue, its going to tow like shit. You want 10% of the weight on the tongue, minimum.

  11. #11
    6S Resident Hasselhoff. alexofnazareth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,899
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by siris View Post
    Could always put a wench on the front of the turd.
    You'll need 3-4 wenches to put weight over the drive wheels.
    They can also be used to have a good time on the boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. Livewire View Post
    if you hate seeing money going down the drane

    than do not turbo your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Sixthsphere: Home of newbs, cunts, and Shane Jackson.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Augusta GA
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexofnazareth View Post
    You'll need 3-4 wenches to put weight over the drive wheels.
    They can also be used to have a good time on the boat
    i think this is gonna be the route i take worst case if i cant get the boat out ill just stay on the boat and play with all of my wenches

  13. #13
    siris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •