Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piston rings without pulling engine

So I just built this motor about 6k miles ago, you can see the whole process in my build thread. The car recently stopped on me on the highway. There is smoke coming out of the dipstick tube, and exhaust, and the spark plug was oily. This means i did some damage which was probably a result of sucking water through my CAI a couple weeks ago. So i imagine my piston rings are trash on that cylinder, there's no way 'its my valve seals because the head is brand new.

my question is can i re-ring the piston (piston 4) without pulling the engine, and without sending the block back to the machine shop, because it was just bored .040 over when i built it 6k miles ago. Im thinking i should be able to get away with a hone only? what do you guys think?

Normally i would just pull the engine, however if i could do it in the car that would be much easier for me working alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did mine 3 years ago. I did everything except main bearings. I left the transmission in also which made it a little harder but it can be done. If you smoked your ring I would be leary with just a hone. It might be fine but I would mic it and go from there. My 2 cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axxer4200 View Post
    I did mine 3 years ago. I did everything except main bearings. I left the transmission in also which made it a little harder but it can be done. If you smoked your ring I would be leary with just a hone. It might be fine but I would mic it and go from there. My 2 cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Yeah that makes sense, i've seen my dad re-ring an engine we built once that didn't seal properly without taking it out of the car and have it run fine after. I suspect their shouldn't be too much wear on the cylinder walls but there's always a chance they could be out of round.

4. Likes axxer4200 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do it in frame for sure... but for the effort it takes getting the tcc and pan sealed up nicely why not just pull it and do it properly?
    http://our6thplanet.com/
    40 something saturns.. oh who fraking counts anymore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew88 View Post
    You can do it in frame for sure... but for the effort it takes getting the tcc and pan sealed up nicely why not just pull it and do it properly?
    Well I will be doing it on a lift, so I figured it wouldn't be too hard getting the pan and tcc on. I've done a tcc before and it took some patience but wasn't too bad.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

7. Likes axxer4200 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you disconnect the front subframe and raise the rest of the car on the lift, then you can easily do it all out of the car. No need for a hoist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    98 SL2m - Intake, Raceland coilovers, daily driver
    94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
    94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

9. Likes axxer4200 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a lift its not bad...but in a driveway its easier to pull the engine and get it on a stand.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.