User Tag List

Thread: My builds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My builds

IMG_1932.jpgIMG_0857.jpgIMG_1593.jpgIMG_0033.jpgSo first of all I wanted to let you know about my cars and a little background on them. I will be doing this by car to keep everything simple. First the history of all the cars and work that I have done to the vehicle. I will include a few pictures of each car. Feel free to ask any questions, I will write a few answers to questions that I think I will get at the bottom ot this post. Sorry for it being so long but I wanted to give as much insight as I could. Hope y'all have a good night/day depending on when you are reading this.

So my first car, I was 15 years old and all I knew how to drive was stick. My mom had a 2007 Saturn Ion and I loved it. I found this ad on craigslist for a 1999 Saturn SW2. This was before I new anything about cars at all. Im pretty sure that when I bought the car it had just around 200,000 miles on it and I didn't know that was high mileage or anything. Being a typical treenager I always raced with it and I actually won races too. Had a lot of memories with the car and eventually my good luck with it ran out, spun a bearing on cylinder 2. I bought a junkyard engine out of a 01 sc2 for $125, took the bearings out of it and put them into my wagon. (Would've been much cheaper if I had just bought new bearings but I was planning on replacing the entire engine but changed my mind last minute, glad I did because that engine had a spun bearing as well) So combined with 4 bad bearings and 16 good ones, I slapped my engine back together and it actually ran, no knock or anything. It lasted for a good week, went back to my old ways of racing, dropped my piston rings in cylinders 2 & 3. Yes I still have the wagon and yes it does still run believe it or not. The only modification to the vehicle is basically an exhaust delete, just runs off straight manifold to direct the flames away from the rest of the engine bay. (The exhaust fell off and I couldn't re-weld it back up due to excessive rust) that was my first car, had a lot of good memories with it and have more to come but a lot faster than previously and not as many issues.

Next Saturn I had bought was fairly recently in March of 2017, it was a 2001 Saturn SL2 aka. The Honda Killer. This car had 138,000 miles when I bought it and put easily over 10,000 miles on it over summer break from school. Why? Because it was really fuel efficient and I drove just about everywhere in Wisconsin with this car, been to almost every city. Not as much to say about this car, only mods I had done to it was a true cold air intake and I cut off the muffler. This was more or less my daily and like my wagon, I raced it quite the amount. As the name suggests it was mainly known for beating pretty much every honda I raced. The name originated from our schools' homecoming week when my friends started joking about how my car kills hondas for a living. My friend had a window marker and we wrote honda killer on the back windshield as a joke and added tallies. But the name has stayed ever since, I dont see it coming off anytime soon. Also I still own this car as well.

My most recent purchase (probably my final purchase until I get my projects finished) It was SC2SICK's 2001 Saturn SC2. I have owned it for a while and I really enjoy it. Just got my turbo kit for the car and am working on installing it. I plan on running low boost until I find a way to control the engine with a different system. Not going for crazy power with this car just looking for some fun and good times. Only reason the turbo kit isn't installed as of now is because this car is my daily driver for now I like it this way because I try to set small goals for as far as I want to get in a certain day. Also tuning it will be al issue but I might have that figured out. Otherwise I guess I have to learn how to wire in a megasquirt system.. that'll be fun.

Now for the interesting plans for these cars.

1999 SW2. This is my major project and the one I am putting the most money into. I plan on making it a sleeper with its looks and how much power it will have. I have my block at a machine shop and am waiting to get a quote for the internals to the engine. I will need a stronger clutch but I haven't seen any that will hold the amount of power I am looking to make. As far as the transmission I will run the transmission that is in it until it blows up or something happens to it, Not sure what the factory transmission can hold for power but we will find out soon enough. This will be a turbocharged engine, I only plan on pushing 21psi at the very most. Running 14-17psi normally All of which is very conservative, maybe one day I will turn it up when I am more comfortable with the car.

2001 SL2. This would be a side project if I even decided to make anything out of it besides a daily. I love this car and all butI will be in enough of a hole building my other two cars. If I did decide to build this car I have three options for it, I will share two but the third one I will keep to myself because I dont want anyone else stealing my idea lol. First would be build the engine and try to make as much power with it being N/A as possible. It wouldn't be a whole lot but I think it would be fun to try and see what it can make. Second option would be supergharging it, I haven't done anything with superchargers and I think a supercharger on this car would be nice, you can leave what you think about these two ideas in the comments.

2001 SC2. I dont have any major plans with this car as of now, just want a fun daily for the time being and maybe next summer I will work something out for this car. We'll have to see.

Sorry for this being so long but I wanted to put all my thoughts and ideas in here, looking for feedback and mqybe some help if you can. Anything is appreciated, thank you for reading.

I will post photos of my cars when I get home, phone is acting up.
    Last edited by KFC23; 11-16-2017 at 05:55 AM.
    Current Vehicles
    1999 SW2 'Blue Rocket' ~210k on two cylinders. Build in progress
    2001 SL2. 'Honda Killer' ~148k ex daily
    2001 SC2 ~5k all 5spd. Build in progress. Currently daily
    Past vehicles
    1997 Chevy Blazer 'The Boat' ~164k first and last automatic vehicle I will own
    1986 Ford f250 6.9idi 4spd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oem LUK clutches will hold 200ftlbs around 12-13 psi on a decent sized turbo.

Act 6 puck will hold 300. The 4 puck has the same torque rating.

A healthy stock internal motor will take a beating on a decent tune. I ran one at 15psi for about a year. Should have been around 250hp, never dyno'd it.

Turbo turds are expensive, especially if you plan on having two. If I was in your shoes, I would take Tony's motor and put it in the wagon if you want to boost the wagon. I wouldn't sink the money in another turbo motor if I was you. You'll end up with three cars that don't run on your current path.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only two I would be modifying would be the SC2 (which is in progress now) and my wagon. My sl2 would go back to being my daily as I worked on these two until one was completed. But my sc2 should be done pretty soon and I will be set there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would put the oem clutch lower around 180-190 lbs/ft. Its like butter.
    The ACT is rated around 325 lb/ft/
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I sold him the car like a month or two ago the LUK clutch and flywheel had like 1k miles on them maybe? They were installed post turbo and only driven like an old lady on the freeway.

TLR they're good as new and should hold whatever appropriate amount of boost you decide to throw at them.

Also it's your car/projects/etc. I might not have gotten as burned out if I was only doing one at a time. Multiple irons in the fire can get expensive and exhausting. I lean the siris direction of just pick one and stick with it, but hey you're young so maybe you've got the energy for it still.
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2003 BMW e46
    2001 Saturn SC2 - Forged with everything but boost - FOR SALE PM FOR MORE INFO
    1998 Ford Ranger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you are saying, it definetly is expensive but I am trying to make do with what I have. Doing alright, stopped driving the Sc2 as a daily so I can work on getting the turbo installed more often and not worrying about the car not moving the next day to go to work or school. I found a garage I am going to try and buy. If I am able to I want to take out money to get my internals for my wagon as well. I'll have to see though. I dont know if I could sell any of these cars, I loose interest for a little bit but once I drive them I gain the interest back, should be fine with all the projects.
    Current Vehicles
    1999 SW2 'Blue Rocket' ~210k on two cylinders. Build in progress
    2001 SL2. 'Honda Killer' ~148k ex daily
    2001 SC2 ~5k all 5spd. Build in progress. Currently daily
    Past vehicles
    1997 Chevy Blazer 'The Boat' ~164k first and last automatic vehicle I will own
    1986 Ford f250 6.9idi 4spd.