Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISO: Motivation..

Howdy folks, I don't know what it is lately but I don't feel the motivation I had when I started this build.. I'm hoping it's this weather and when it warms up I regain my motivation.. but as of right now I am unsure as of what to do. Lets get started with a basic rundown of the project.

Bought the car September 23, 2017, had a lot of goodies done to it already and it was a good base for a decent power project.

So I saved a bit of money and decided I was gonna buy a kit instead of trying to buy everything separately. I bought a turbo kit off ebay for about $900. At this time I was 17, trying to find a place to either move into or find a garage to work on the car in.. Long story short decided that I would just start the project in my parents garage, which is very cluttered and not much room, which is why I wanted to find another garage or place to work on it in. Being in high school and affording a garage/house/whatever it was going to be would be doable with multiple jobs but my current job I work about 4 hours /day weekdays only. (It's an internship through my school at a dealership. I get paid hourly for the time of the internship and once the internship is over and I graduate I will be switched to flat rate which isn't much better pay). My solution was get a 2nd job, and I wanted to work 3rd shift because I usually spend all night doing something car related, I could be spending all night getting paid which would be much better. I tried applying at places but they declined me because I am in high school and they can't hire me on a 3rd shift position.. yet then they offer me a 1st and 2nd shift job afterwards.. even though I stated I have a part time 2nd shift job and I have school in the morning.. So money is a limiting factor that I am fighting to get under control and is also a reason for my lack of motivation. Back to the car, I have been slowly getting stuff done trying to get the car done by automotion(may 18-20th).

I have one more thing I need for the car in order to actually hit boost at all in it which is the tuning stuffs. I get roughly $100 a week at my job and the stuffs is about $1,500. So logically you'd think 15 weeks which leads to a few problems.. First problem is that would lead me to buying it at the beginning of march, not counting the time it would take to ship would give me 3 weeks to get it hooked up and running fine. I could do it but I would like more time than that to do it. I've been trying to get into my bank and pull a loan but our stupid lender is at our bank on Tuesdays and Thursdays only.. I still have school and when I dont have school I have work.

I'm trying to get stuff figured out, this car is the top priority as of now and I would like to finish it asap. Just dont have the motivation nor money to do so. Anyone have any ideas for motivation? I can figure out the money part but just need some motivation currently.

Thanks
    ~Keegan

P.S. I will post some pictures later of the build if they are requested. This was really long and random but I could use any motivation y'all have. Thanks folks.
    Current Vehicles
    1999 SW2 'Blue Rocket' ~210k on two cylinders. Build in progress
    2001 SL2. Used to be the 'Honda Killer' ~148k daily for now..
    2001 SC2 ~5k all 5spd. Build in progress. gettin booost
    Past vehicles
    1997 Chevy Blazer 'The Boat' ~164k first and last automatic vehicle I will own
    1986 Ford f250 6.9idi 4spd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i totally understand that frustration, before i got out of school into my full time job everything seemed so daunting money wise for the build that i didnt know what to do, budgeting mainly as well. long story short it wont be ready. im finding that i probably wont have time to finish mine by import alliance but i doubt i will. boosting these cars takes time and money and the last thing you want to do is rush it to boost and detonate. if i could recommend anything is just buy the ecu as soon as possible and then tune it na for fun until you have the money to finish the turbo stuff. i dont mean to rain on the parade, i also dont want to say jump on unrealistic goals either. all in all id take it to the meet as it stands when it comes up thats what ive been doing and people still love the car.
    1998 SC2 - Blue - Turbo Project
    2001 Boxster - Grey - Daily and unfortunately for dealer "under warranty"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have everything for the turbo, I am about to put it back together, getting my oil pan tapped this week/weekend then its good to go back together.. Last thing I will need is the ecu. But that takes money.. and of course money takes time. Either way the car should be ready.. I just dont have the will to work on it as of now because of the money situation.. I want to drive it when I finish it all, not leave it sit for another 2 months while I work as much as possible to get the ecu. I guess that's what I have to do though.
    Current Vehicles
    Past vehicles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so you mean to say you want side projects that are basically free?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I wanted cheap and stupid easy power I would get a Honda, but that's not what I want. I want something I will enjoy, All of my Saturns I have owned have been really enjoyable. Never had too much of an issue with them and I like their style. Another reason for Saturn would be nobody expects a Saturn to have 400ish hp.. or when my wagon's done about 700+hp. Everyone hates Saturns and says they are slow and that's why I enjoy them. Even my 01' SL2 with a Cold air intake and a cut off muffler kills just about all the newer vehicles that are on our local 'strip' people cruise on. They miss it saying Honda Killer but my girlfriend said it draws too much attention so I removed it.. But the car isn't bad for what it is. I know with the right stuff and some know how these things have potential. Also a good driver helps on that note. No it isnt cheap. It just sucks I get about $100 a week and there isnt much I can do currently to raise that because of high school..
    Current Vehicles
    Past vehicles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just meant side projects that are free to do to your car till you turbo it, also make sure to pin your block. im shooting for 600hp and my block will be filled pinned and sleeved. find someone with over 500 that didnt have headgasket issues. also keep in mind that 350 hp in these is the same power to weight as a camaro ss. if you want to track id go 350, if you want to hurt every bodies feelings at the drag strip go higher. i dont mean to sound harsh in any of my posts either, hell go back and look at what people told me when i first got here lol, none of it rude just realities. im right here with you though on the almost turboed. we have similar deadlines as well.

Get off my lawn.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never spend all your pennies on your car. If its that frustrating from a financial standpoint, forget it. Life is too short to deal with that kind of stress. Not to mention you will be developing a bad spending habit which can really mess up the rest of your life. Find yourself some cheaper hobbies that fit your current life/priorities/schedule/etc. better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he is also right with that. you seem to be more my age group as well (i could be wrong) but remember that power isnt everything at a meet. that guy in a cool looking car is gonna get more attention than your car with a turbo on it hands down. i drew more attention than just about anybody around me the other night (to the point i basically stood by the car and talked to people about it) simply because its different and they thought it looked cool. i recommend if you want motivation to find side work to do. some of this can be free to dirt cheap to do.
    got old clothes? use some old T's to make a shift boot. or for the daring do your headliner with cut up T's. a full seat out deep clean also refreshes a car pretty well and reminds you that you love it. you can detail the engine bay with some degreaser and a old tooth brush and rags. you can also clean the undercarriage take wheels off clean up the suspension and salt etc. being into your car isnt all mod's and stuff Ive found that doing simple things really can give the same feeling installing a mod will. i dont know if you have a garage or not but you can also make ramps for your car. there are lots of super budget things you can fill passing time with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cars are my cheaper hobby, at least when I am done toying around with them I can sell them for something back.. Not exactly sure what I am going to do for right now but I eventually want to open a shop of my own and get into tuning/building all sorts of vehicles, Saturn would be my specialty but anything else I can work with. I think what I am gonna end up doing.. even though I hate school with a burning passion is get into diesel mechanics, around me places pay for your schooling while also paying you part time as you work for them. I am going to do that here this summer just so I have a nice paying job, think they start at like $20/hr and I can work with that.. idk about the schooling portion but I will try. My cars dont cause stress most of the time.. Normally they help me relieve stress and anger, I have a bad driving habit, which leads me to driving a lot.. about 400 miles every two days give or take a day or two depending on what else I have going on and what limits I reach with my money situation.. Either way, Nothing will make me stop trying to work everything out lol. I love cars too much just to give up. There's no other feeling like building a car and driving it, enjoying it and knowing you did it yourself. When it breaks, you fix it and keep going. Only thing that might get me out of cars is if I get into too much trouble with the cops and my girlfriend gets really upset with me which wont happen because usually im pretty careful about where in mexico I do pulls. Sometimes I get carried away but oh well. All in good fun anyways, so long as nobody gets hurt as far as the officers need to know. Not looking forward to work tomorrow but it's what I wanted so I guess I have to do it.
    Current Vehicles
    Past vehicles

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The car is forged, has good suspension, and is ready to drive. Just get an alignment and sticky tires and drive it around for now while you decide what you want to do is my suggestion. You're pretty young I'd focus on school for now and in a couple years you could be in a career where this money situation sounds laughable and you can buy whatever you feel like.
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2003 BMW e46
    2001 Saturn SC2 - Forged with everything but boost - FOR SALE PM FOR MORE INFO
    1998 Ford Ranger

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is to get into your local competition clubs. SCCA or NASA etc.

You can go nuts driving as fast as you can.

It stops me from constantly tinkering all the little ideas that come to my head. If im going racing monthly, car has to be race ready at leaat that much.
    It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cleaning/detailing my cars is something I love doing, every week I clean my car. Hate having any of my vehicles dirty. Im not much of a creative person like t-shirts and crafty stuff.. I did plan on pulling the engine and cleaning the bay, maybe a new coat of black and a coat of clear just to keep it purdy. Car is too torn apart to get an alignment done as of now. Idk if we have a local competition club.. I might look into that. I am young but I feel like getting this done shouldnt be an issue, if I put myself into it I could do it. Thanks for the ideas folks.
    Current Vehicles
    Past vehicles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieSatty View Post
    My suggestion is to get into your local competition clubs. SCCA or NASA etc.

You can go nuts driving as fast as you can.

It stops me from constantly tinkering all the little ideas that come to my head. If im going racing monthly, car has to be race ready at leaat that much.

What he said. Really so much fun with even a stock motor and a little suspension work. Worth looking into. Even if you have to make a weekend out of it. I have to drive 4 hours to go to the "local" events

Get off my lawn.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

15. Likes KFC23 liked this post