Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lift Drive Train or Replace Axles???

I'm running a 2.5 inch drop with Cannuck springs on my 99 sl2. I have the axle bind shimmy and have already had an alignment completed with little effect on the problem. I have looked through the threads on here and there's about half and half when it comes to just replacing the axles and/or lifting the drive train. Anyone have any insight or a good write up on how to properly lift the drive train. On the other hand is there anyone to just tell me I'm crazy to think I need the lift with only 2.5 inches of drop and just to replace the dang axles!? It's not unbearably bad of a shake, but the perfectionist in me is banging my head against the wheel with every shake!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To totally remedy the shake, lift motor. New axels may clear it up for a while, buy they will start again eventually.

To lift motor, you need to put some sort of spacers between the TAM and trans mounts and the frame. With longer hardware likely needed.
    It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had previously contacted Ludicrous for their custom set of lifted mounts. They relayed to me that you cannot space the mounts more than 1.5 inches without twisting the motor too much. Do you think this is probably true or just a point of liability they don't want to cross? I'm just wondering if using the 1.5 inch spacers will be enough to recreate the original angle before the drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me say I have not done it myself.

They are correct. If you wanted to get back to perfectly stock axle angles, yes the dogbone mounts would need to be adjusted, (one lengthened, one shortened I think). Seems most people have had ok luck with just spacing the TAM and Trans weight bearing mounts.

I would think you could run into an issue of overextending (disconnecting) the CV joints on suspension droop if you move the motor/trans up too much. With coilovers that's not a problem, but on drop springs, it certianly could be.
    It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are adjustable dog bones available through "Blainer Racing Products" https://www.facebook.com/blainerracingproducts/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not using stock axles, that could be the problem too. There are way too many lowered cars on here without that problem. Start thinking simple.
    LSJ powered 1998 Chevy S-10 turbo
    visit my Albums - http://sixthsphere.com/album.php?u=7267

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TheMU47 I did order new axles. So hopefully that, along with 1 inch drivetrain spacers, will completely fix my problem!

UPDATE: I replaced my TAM and Torque Axis Mount along with installing 1 inch spacers and new axles. It rides like a dream now! No vibration anywhere.
    Last edited by romohrz1; 01-29-2018 at 08:29 AM.