User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about getting a Saturn S-class

Hello all.

I'm thinking about getting a Saturn S-class, preferably a wagon, as a second car for the family. Our primary vehicle is a 2009 Honda Odyssey. As the kids are growing up it would be nice to have something a little cheaper to operate and maintain that would also be a second vehicle for when schedules get complicated.

I've been noodling this around for quite a few months, though I'm not sure that I'm ready to pull the trigger.

The SW2 seem universally better, except for the gas mileage. I've read that doing the 5th gear swap gets the mileage to about parity and smooths out the operation at highway speeds, but the my understanding is that that screws up the computer such that cruise control doesn't work right. Has that ever been solved?

I'm an electrical engineer and a Captain in the Air Force, and we're currently stationed in Virginia, not far from Manassas Battlefield. I'm not exactly a gear head, but I do all my own maintenance and repairs, unless I get totally stumped, and I've picked up a few things here and there.

Thanks for running the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no work-a-round for the cruise control. I used to get really good mileage in my coupe with the stock mp3 5th on the highway.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

6S Resident Hasselhoff. alexofnazareth's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oldnuc on SF installed a '95 pedal in the car and apparently you can make some work around to get cruise back. I prefer to let my leg cramp up and wither away after 9hrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. Livewire View Post
    if you hate seeing money going down the drane

than do not turbo your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sixthsphere: Home of newbs, cunts, and Shane Jackson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nuc's write up is also missing enough details to be pretty much no use at all. Unless you go begging him for details.
    It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya it's not very clear for sure. Here's a link to a post on SF that'll take you to various pieces of information ....http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...65&postcount=5

There's still something missing I think.
    Current
    1999 SL2 MT (256K km, 10-2016 to present)
    2001 SL1 MT (415K km, 10-2008 to present)

Past
    1993 SW2 AT (03-2000 to 04-2010)
    2001 LW200 MT (06-2001 to 01-2005)
    1992 SL2 MT (06-1992 to 09-1997)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trottida View Post
    Ya it's not very clear for sure. Here's a link to a post on SF that'll take you to various pieces of information ....http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...65&postcount=5

There's still something missing I think.
    Thanks for the info, everyone.

There's a 2001 SW2 stick shift with 150k that the guy swears doesn't burn any oil. He's asking $1400. Is that too rich?

Get off my lawn.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on your location, I'd say that a 5th swap would have little to no value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran an MP2 5th gear with an auto trans PCM and had cruise working Worked with megasquirt ECU too.
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2003 BMW e46
    2001 Saturn SC2 - Forged with everything but boost - FOR SALE PM FOR MORE INFO
    1998 Ford Ranger

Resident Electromotive Expert importsdontlikeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manassas Battlefield I used to live right there! Crazy busy area. I also agree with Travis an MP2 5th probably won't give you much benefit in that area. What kind of fuel economy are you trying to achieve? The S series cars have always been competitive in the fuel economy department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by importsdontlikeme View Post
    Manassas Battlefield I used to live right there! Crazy busy area. I also agree with Travis an MP2 5th probably won't give you much benefit in that area. What kind of fuel economy are you trying to achieve? The S series cars have always been competitive in the fuel economy department.
    The low operating and maintenance costs, in addition to being available in a wagon , are part of the attraction. I’d love to be able to duplicate the 40+ mpg resorts that I’ve read. Obviously, it depends on what the mission is and how it’s operated.

Still in NoVA?

Any thoughts about paying $1400 for a 2001 SW2 with a manual and 150k? The AC’s broken, but he doesn’t know what’s wrong with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mystryda View Post
    Any thoughts about paying $1400 for a 2001 SW2 with a manual and 150k? The AC’s broken, but he doesn’t know what’s wrong with it.
    $1400 for an 2001 SW2 MT doesn't seem to be a bad price but it would depend on what repairs it needs to put in on the road and have it run well. Wagons equipped with manual transmission are hard to find. The mileage wouldn't scare me and many times the AC just needs new schrader valves and/or seals. However decent quality AC compressors for these can be hard to find and you have to make sure you get the right one; one that clears the air injection system which sits above it.
    Current
    1999 SL2 MT (256K km, 10-2016 to present)
    2001 SL1 MT (415K km, 10-2008 to present)

Past
    1993 SW2 AT (03-2000 to 04-2010)
    2001 LW200 MT (06-2001 to 01-2005)
    1992 SL2 MT (06-1992 to 09-1997)

Resident Electromotive Expert importsdontlikeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mystryda View Post
    The low operating and maintenance costs, in addition to being available in a wagon , are part of the attraction. Iíd love to be able to duplicate the 40+ mpg resorts that Iíve read. Obviously, it depends on what the mission is and how itís operated.

Still in NoVA?

Any thoughts about paying $1400 for a 2001 SW2 with a manual and 150k? The ACís broken, but he doesnít know whatís wrong with it.
    I no longer live in NoVA. I'm in Maryland now.

For that price I think it's a great deal. You won't fine many other cars in that price range that will achieve that kind of fuel economy.

The A/C on the S series is relatively simple. Shouldn't be difficult to narrow down the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.