Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible PCM swap? BT2AE and C0307 codes

I just picked up a 98 SW2 last night and it's all sorts of janky. When I test drove it around the seller's neighborhood everything seemed fine, but as I drove home I found all sorts of issues.

It wants to stall at idle (manual trans), the engine cut out completely at about 4k rpm and refused to fire again, even in gear until about 30 seconds later when I downshifted from 4-3. I got home and plugged in my $4 Bluetooth OBDII dongle and pulled the codes with torque pro. Forgot to screenshot it before I cleared them, but there was a handful of standard ones (O2 sensor, EGR valve, TPS, etc....) But a few caught my eye and made me scratch my head. I'm starting to think this isn't the original PCM, possibly one from an auto.

It's a manual and it's throwing trans fluid temp and electrical circuit codes, as well as a B2TAE body code and a C0307 chassis code. I can't find even a hint as to what those codes are anywhere.

I know the O2 sensor code is because the cat was removed and the downstream sensor wire is just dangling (I'll just deal with that one, or solder a resistor in to shit it up) the TPS is cracked, (will replace tomorrow) and I cleaned the EGR valve today, waiting to see if that one comes back.

I also don't remember seeing an upshift light, but it looks like someone has blacked out the SES and wrench lights, so that could be part of it.

I'm thinking someone replaced the PCM and never had it flashed correctly, i found the write up for relearning a '99 PCM, will it work on a '98? Is there a way to definitively tell what year the PCM is?

Screenshot of remaining "grey" codes attached:

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TLDR: how can I tell what year my PCM is? Is there a relearn procedure for 98 and older?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crank relearn was on the 2000+.

The scanner may not be reading the saturn PCM correctly. I would start with the low throttle signal code. A 5v ref supplied a lot f signals. If that is shorting to ground that could cause a bunch of issues.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Bretz View Post
    Crank relearn was on the 2000+.

The scanner may not be reading the saturn PCM correctly. I would start with the low throttle signal code. A 5v ref supplied a lot f signals. If that is shorting to ground that could cause a bunch of issues.
    It's a cheap ELM327 dongle and torque pro.

I'm assuming the TPS code is because the sensor body is cracked in half and pulling away from the throttle body. I'm picking one up on my way home from work tonight and going from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:. TPS was definitely bad, replaced it and it cleared the codes, but the trans electrical circuit code keeps coming back. Would this actually be a code on a manual trans? Or is it more likely someone swapped a PCM and didn't get it flashed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was only a manual trans PCM or an out. You could not program one for the other. If you have an auto trans PCM ona manual then you will not get rid of the code. Bur you may not have a rev/speed limit as a bonus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was only a manual trans PCM or an out. You could not program one for the other. If you have an auto trans PCM ona manual then you will not get rid of the code. Bur you may not have a rev/speed limit as a bonus.
    Even with a Tech2? Is there a difference in part numbers or a way to tell the difference for sure? I've got a handful of random codes that Google cant seem to find the definition of, so I'm not sure if this is a janky PCM, a separate electrical problem, or a communications breakdown between the Saturn PCM and the Torque Pro app.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The auto pcm has ab extra connector for the trans controls.
    Also there are p/n's on the label.

9. Likes 04quadcoupe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The auto pcm has ab extra connector for the trans controls.
    Also there are p/n's on the label.
    Thanks.

I assumed there would be a p/n on the sticker, just didn't know if there was a difference in p/n between the two, like -1 for auto, -2 for manual or something. But if the auto trans PCM has an extra connector that would make it distinguishable on sight