Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear Caliper Rebuild

So it turns out that the parking brake mechanism doesn't work on either rear caliper. I've checked the cables and lever/spring assembly on the unit itself and all that is working properly. I can fully swing the arm over to engage it but it doesn't. I started looking into rebuilding them over buying since its $4 vs 40 but the rebuild kits I've found are just the seals. Is there any way to get the mechanism parts themselves? I'm assuming there is some sort of bearing or lever that activates the brake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar situation with the rear calipers on the beater. In my case however, the external parking brake mechanisms were the issue. On both sides the arm for the parking brake cable wouldn't return to its neutral position. It was almost as if the return springs were "dead". With the cables disconnected I could manually move the arm through its range of motion. This would leave the brakes engaged or disengaged, depending on the position of the arm. I briefly looked into fixing the calipers... until a seal on the drivers side took a dump. I was kind of in a pinch so I ended up replacing both sides with remanufactured units.

The exploded diagram for the rear caliper shows how the external parking brake mechanism goes together, but thats about it. In terms of OE stuff, rebuild parts are limited to the piston, parking brake springs and seals (part of that kit you mentioned). Then there is the usual maintenance stuff (pins, boots, etc). Here are the GM part numbers:

Caliper Piston - 21010552
    Caliper Seal Kit - 21010592
    E-Brake Spring [L] - 21010556 ['91-'94] 21012078 ['95-'98]
    E-Brake Spring [R] - 21010557 ['91-'94] 21012079 ['95-'98]

Not sure what the difference is between the parking brake springs; the pre-'95 and post-'95 rear calipers have separate part numbers as well.
    Last edited by lilcraigford; 05-19-2018 at 04:22 PM.
    '94 SL2: The Detail Junky (Will it ever run? Does it even exist?)
    '95 SW2: The Daily Junky 3 (388k Champion)
    '95 SL2: The Daily Junky 5 (aka Snow Junky 2)

The Detail Junky Build

"Saturn people like a different kind of Escargot: Redefining the association between Saturns and Snails."

For Sale Thread (Current Items: 9-Bolt Head, 9-Bolt Timing Cover, 5-Bolt Timing Cover)
    Wanted Thread (None)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I will just pick up a set of remans. I need to get this thing through state inspection and the parking brake is the only thing holding me up. Looking at the diagram, it looks like there might be a offset cam on the mechanism shaft. Could also just be junk clogging up the works. I've got two sets of calipers so I might rip into a pair at some point...might be able to come up with an answer. Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The parking brake not working happened a lot on the sky's.
    The fix was to remove the caliper and then turn the piston all the way back in. The reinstall them, pump the brake pedal to get the pistons to re-extend and then the parking brake would work again.
    I'm not sure if it will work for you, but if you have a rear disc brake piston tool you can try it for free....that's $4 cheaper than a rebuild fit.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.