Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SRT-4 Swapped L200

For those of you who may be interested I'm in the process of attempting to be what I know of as the first and only (minus someone who put Mopar seats in an SC) SRT4 swapped Saturn. I'm new to this forum and forums mostly in general, so please understand I'm trying to post in the right places and such and if I'm not kindly direct me. Im a full time mechanic and i own a 4 bay repair facility so I'm very well familiar with mechanics an my way around vehicle, as time goes on and I get to know them feel more comfortable with the people on the site ill share a little more information about myself, until then just know that I'm not your backyard mechanic and I have a full range of tools to do pretty much anything necessary on a vehicle along with a college education in the field so feel free to talk tech.

On to the good stuff.....
    I'm a Saturn freak in own quite a few myself. My personal daily driver is a 2002 lw300 with only 63,000 original miles and an absolutely Mint Condition front to back top to bottom. I've done lots of work to this car over the time I've owned it and it's treated me well. I also have a 1993 SL1, a 2002 L200, and a 2003 Vue V6 all wheel drive. I decided recently the L200 was in need of a lot of work and I wanted to have some fun with a project. also sitting in my back lot is a 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT with the 2.4 turbo charged engine. my thoughts were why not take out the Ecotec and tossing everything related to the PT GT motor. The PT used to belong to my wife and is also well taken care of however it has some problems beyond what I feel like is worth repairing now but the motor runs like brand new. Along with that I've had the computer removed from the vehicle and custom written with a few different things including the removal of the skim security system, or the immobilizer system that Chrysler uses. this makes the engine, transmission and computer essentially possible for me to put into anything, so I figured why not the L. with the fact that they managed to stuff that engine into the front of a PT Cruiser I know it won't be an issue getting it into the front of the L200, I think the one modification I may have to make is using the SRT4 intake manifold from the Neons instead of the one that wraps over the top of the engine that the PT Cruiser used. along with that my goal is to run both computers from both cars so that I can get maximum use out of the car still along with full tuning capability on the factory computer from the PT, I would also run an OBD for the PT computer as well so that I could plug into either or as necessary. Getting these two computers to run at the same time I think is going to be with a real fun and thinking will come in, but I think it's far from impossible with a little bit of patience. I stripped everything out of the front of the L200, the engine, transmission, radiator and condenser, and I'm getting ready to drop the subframe out of the front because it's rotten. I have a new one on the way and I'm also going to replace the steering rack well that's all being done because they're not fun to do in the car as I'm sure some of you know. I'll post some pictures up of what I have going on so far and then the next day or so I plan to start removing the PT engine and transmission assembly to start fitting it into the engine bay of the L200.

I love for people to join in and give me your input on the whole thing, however after reading on numerous different forms of All Sorts over the years I've come to find that no matter which form you're on there are always a big group of negative nancys and naysayers, if you fall into that category of people please leave your negative comments and criticism to yourself. I'd love any helpful input, telling me that the project is not worth it is not helpful input. I'm not going to say that money is not a factor, however I'm a successful small business owner and completing a small side project such as this is not beyond my means so with money aside and the fact that this is pointless understood and decide I'd love to hear people's input and I hope that this is fun for other people to keep up with as it is for me to do, stay posted

6S Resident Hasselhoff. alexofnazareth's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

In our experience, large introductory essays aren't confidence inspiring as far as the user "claiming" to be able to pull off whatever they've described...I suppose only time will tell, eh? lol

Are you keeping the LOL-series front suspension, knuckles, and steering rack? You'll need to find a way to accommodate the Dodge axles.
    Have you also measured the width axle-to-axle? If the "track width" is really off, you may end up having to modify axles as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. Livewire View Post
    if you hate seeing money going down the drane

than do not turbo your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sixthsphere: Home of newbs, cunts, and Shane Jackson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @alexofnazarath, nice to meet you. I do understand there are lots of big talkers out there lol like stated, I own a shop, and just the amount of people who "used to be" mechanics but don't have any idea of what they are actually saying.....I'm glad to say not one of those. I've got some pictures to show the progress since my last post that I'll put in here. Change that, my phone won't allow so I'll post the pics when I get on the computer

As of the track width and suspension stuff, the idea and I mean idea only as of right now is to retain the factory front suspension for now and work to adapt the Mopar parts into it. My thought for the axle were to either see what options there are that I might be able to find a bearing that will press into the L knuckle but accept a PT hub or rub all the factory stuff on the knuckle and get custom made CV shafts that have a Mopar end for the Trans and an L end for the knuckle. My other concern is that the PT uses a solid long passenger axle and a partial Kframe in the front that doesn't interfere with the axle during suspension articulation and the L uses a split axle with midshaft bearing so all the pivot happens at the same spot as the control arm. I think using a stock long pt axle would interfere with the L Subframe......more to continue on that.

I've pulled the engine, trans, subframe and everything in the front minus the wiring and struts. I've started painting the engine bay black just as a change from the white exterior and to clean it up a bit. I'm waiting on a better used subframe cuz the one in there was a no go lol. Also got a reman rack and pinion coming in the mail....Im.going with a lot of lower priced items I can source from the Internet that aren't junk. Some of the same brands I use for work but I can't wait shipping time for jobs I do so and returns on bad parts would be a pain, but for a side project much more economical. I'm going to at least freshen up the front end while it's all out, new ball joint, paint the control arms, new tie rod ends with the new rack, and a few other things. Here are some of the pics I have for now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome.

I'm a bit reluctant to the SRT4 swap. WHile there was a lot of progress made with then in the Mopar world, the ECOTEC is a strong engine in itself. You could easily swap in a build LSJ and it would take 600-800whp all day.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

5. Likes alexofnazareth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I do agree I wanted to do something different for the fun and the experience of it, not so much a high power number goal. The other reason for doing this was because the car is an automatic and for a screw around car is much rather have stick but also like mentioned before, I have a complete and free running donor PT GT that's also automatic, so I have lots of what I need to complete this already without having to source out a whole bunch of things. I'd just like to do it for the sake of doing it and have it as a fun cruising car/conversation piece....and also something new to showcase me and my partners work and ability. I bought a new phone and for some reason still the pics don't want to upload so I'll put them on the computer soon and upload them with the progress I've made so far. The L is all apart and I'm about to pull the OR in and start ripping and tearing on that one in the next couple of days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're swapping the 2.4 with an auto trans into the car?
    I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's correct. The only reason its auto is cuz I have PT GT that's an Autostick automatic and the L is auto so it's an auto to auto swap just different parts than saturn intended.

Sorry for the noob questions guys as I'm not sure this has been addressed or not but does anyone have any idea about trying to upload pics from a phone? I'd love to post the pics I have of the progress but I can't get the pics on a computer easily and for whatever reason 2 different phones won't allow it or the site wont....? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah don't know what to say. I can't upload pics via my phone either.
    Email the pics to your computer, save them to the hard drive, then upload them? Unless you don't have internet at the house, then you're SOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Bretz View Post
    Welcome.

I'm a bit reluctant to the SRT4 swap. WHile there was a lot of progress made with then in the Mopar world, the ECOTEC is a strong engine in itself. You could easily swap in a build LSJ and it would take 600-800whp all day.
    What he said^^^^ Ecotec to LSJ Ecotec would be super easy in this car. But would love to see how it turns out!
    IN THE END...THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! 72 El Camino 5.3 T56 swap DD----95 SC2 LSJ 13.90@104MPH stock pulley. Drag racing is for quick cars... Roll racing is for fast cars! OWNER OF THE WORLDS FIRST LSJ POWERED 95 SC2!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow how coincidental, I was just sifting through your posts on your swap in the SC @psw71. Kudos to you! That looks like it was meant to be. I did consider that as a a swap except I didn't wanna do any auto to manual swap stuff since both cars are auto and the other reason....decent lsj=1000 at least from a place I'd trust worth "reasonable" miles and an unknown history whereas the PT GT has been maintained by me and I know its history, and the fact that I've already had customs computer work to delete things like the SKIM immobilizer system in the PT so the engine, trans and computer in that are basically like a plug and play swap package. Obviously not plug and play in an L but I wont have to do any funky work to get ththe engine running well outside the car it belonged in. That and I wanted something strange just for the sake of doing it. My only concerns with ththe swap really are the wiring messes that await me trying to run both computers in parallel and figuring out what I can and cant get away with trying to sidestep the L freaking out. I've started emailing the pics of progress to myself per advise of @alexofnazarath so I can upload them....hope someone is able to figure out why the pic uploads aren't phone friendly