User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Tunning with a microsquirt

Hello I'm new to sixthpherer. I've been reading what I can and finnaly joined. I was wondering if anyone can tell me their thought on using a microsquirt standalone. I know what it all can do. But I like to know if any of u satty tuners had ever or is using one for a turbo setup. I'm only looking to use 8 to 10 psi aka low boost. Just to get familiar with boosting my satty. I'll be doing the long and hard tunning myself sence I don't have any body for 400 miles that would even touch a Saturn. I have a 1998 sl2. I've built a good n/a setup. Full Deebs build with mild port and polish done myself. She is cammed with a stage 2 all American custom cams. Those are a good high end cam. Great for turbo I think. I just wanted to give u guy and idea of what I've done sofare, need some other tuner advice. Thank u.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2003 BMW e46
    2001 Saturn SC2 - Forged with everything but boost - FOR SALE PM FOR MORE INFO
    1998 Ford Ranger

3. Likes importsdontlikeme liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a microsquirt of unknown origin. i didnt have any luck at all with the stock VR sensor . but i had a 36-1 trigger wheel cut for the front balancer which i am going to use , with a hall sensor. If you have fresh equipment it should work fine, you just need to get the trigger system running right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have all new sensors. I rebuilt my hole motor ground zero and up. Thank for the heads up. I have a buddy that's good with the trigger system. He's a Honda boy but he know his sh=. I'll ask d.i.y also. Maybe others had an issue. Let me know how ur hall set up goes. I'm interested. Leighv

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was something with the microsquirts that it didn't do that the megasquirts do do. I can't remember what it was but it made me never get one and stick to the megasquirt..maybe that it drives only high resustance injectors?. I don't remember because it has been so long since i looked at them.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW I had good luck with the JBPerf VR conditioner. It was a game changer. If you're going away from VR this is irrelevant info. Hall/wheel is a better setup.
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2003 BMW e46
    2001 Saturn SC2 - Forged with everything but boost - FOR SALE PM FOR MORE INFO
    1998 Ford Ranger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsquirt doesn't have all the applications the ms3 or MS2 has it's a good starter I'll talk to the DIY guys about boosting on stock motor on the 8 pounds I will be messing with timing my air to fuel I've been trying to find a good base start here on sixthphere. I found a couple but I really don't know if they're good stable starter a base yes I can go 10 all the way across Ground Zero if any of your bigger guys can help me I'm new to Ms I'm used to Chrome turbocharging Hondas and V8 this is my first turbo Saturn setup I want to learn it that's why I'm starting low boost

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ingredients that I'll be using to boost 8psi.

*T3 turbo 63 ar. 60 exhaust
    *Stock motor I am cryo hardening my rods give me a little buffer zone it's about 40% stronger than stock
    *Hyperputic pistons. Note. I am running 99 rods and pistons I think the fractured rods will hold little better than the stock 98 I do and am running a 98 block and head port and Polished mailing flat faced valves it's been boring out .75 overboard it didn't raise my compression kept it the same.
    * stage 2 call American custom cams. These cams are great for high-en.
    Stock clutch it will be a luck clutch kit I had really good results of luck I think we'll hold but not forever lol
    I'll be running an mp2 transmission with a welded diff pin. And I think the exhaust would be fine I met up at 2 in the way back don't know yet
    I'll be running the MS system microsquirt to be exact doesn't have all the nice goodies I really like to use what's a good starter and it does connect with ms3 for an add-on
    That's about it so far do you guys have any thoughts or you think I'm leaving something out let me know I seen applications of Saturn's turbocharged but I really don't know what the ingredients is that they have in there engines and yes down the road I will be having forged internals I got three kids I have to save cuz once I get those I'm going big

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From experiece...save your money on the cyro treatment. It doesn't do as much as they claim. A Good set of factory forged rods will be good for 250whp all day. I did 250whp on stock rods for two years before I turned up the boost and snapped them at arounf 300whp.

The forged rods are better for this as they are a little softer...they will be a little more forgiving if you experience any detonation. The fracture split rods are too brittle.

Clutch, you will want at least a stage 2 (stock pressure plate with a kelvar friction disc). The stocker will last a little bit but you will kick yourself in the ass when it starts to slip a little bit. I small upgrade here is worth it.

I would skip the microsquirt unless you are getting on hell of a deal on it. You can do a regular MS2 and upgrade to an MS3 daughter card later for more functionality if you need it. It will be cheaper than trying to run an MS3 to a microsquirt over the CAN bus.
    Last edited by S.Bretz; 10-25-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank u. That's what I needed to know. I am looking to forged my internal but later. I figure to push it so I can learn the motor. I have 3 motors to work with all DOHC. Plus a wrecking yard that gives me deals cuz I'm the only one that buys satty parts lol. I can get a block with internals for 100.00. I was doing some research last night. Ur right about the ms2. It's the same price too. I am going all out down the road so I'm going to take ur advice and get the ms2. So the luck pressure plat can handle a stage 2. That's nice to know. It's nice experience satty rollers give info. I always listen and always willing to learn. Im likening sixthsphere. The osg has good info. But his idea on the unit-q chip sounds like a great idea but I'm thinking he's having trouble tunning it. I still like the guy but I'm tired of waiting. Ms is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...that guy... I wouldn't recommend anything he does for tuning as a proper solution.

As for clutches, usually stage 2's are a stock painted luk pressure plate with a kevlar disc. It has a little more holding power then factory rag discs and still has a nice engagement.
    You can also get an ACT street disc. It will have a firm pedal pressure with factory friction material and a good life on it with good torque holding capacity from the stronger clamp load, but the ACT's are a bit pricey.
    Last edited by S.Bretz; 10-27-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If sticking to stock internals the 1g and 2g pistons have more meat above the top compression ring.
    http://our6thplanet.com/
    40 something saturns.. oh who fraking counts anymore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do have a thicker top ring land, but don't think that will help you much. They are still a cast hyperutetic piston and will burn out rather quickly if you run it too lean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low boost on hyperputic is ok with a good tune. I do know this iv ran 12 psi civic for a friend. I built it and tuned it. I did tell him that running 12 psi will probably fry ur pistons. He didnt care he ran it all year at the track and I mean smashed it. He wanted to pull the motor cause he bought forged internal and wanted to go higher. The pistions were fine the top rings thow. They were about to go. B16 piston is a close design to our but with lower compression. If the go .75 oversize. They come out to be 82.mm bore. Hyperputic are not that bad I just would push past 10 that's me personally. I will be running g cromolly rings. I bought a set and never installed them yet. I have a bunch of parts that I bought. That I just wanted to stock up on. I'm like that lol. I will be buying forged internals. But I want to nail booted with a stock motor first. That's how I learn. Sence it's hard to find a bace map to start with. I have to start with scratch. All the tune on here are way above a stock tune and the 7 psi is just a fuel tune. I don't trust out stock timing. I'm running stage 2 all American custom cams right now. And my pcm is almost say f$#@ u bro. It like to advice and retard alote. Oh s.bretz. I'm going with ms2. I diged more into it. And ms2 has everything I need to run and up grad later.
    Im not new to this motor I can take it apart and put it back together is one day. Even wire it in. But the is my first boosted satty. Witch i can't wait. No one in my town think this car can be boosted. Lol. I personally thing any motor can be boosted. Lol I went way off subjects. Hyperputics lol. I love motors. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just about any of those tune files should work to get you started. You will probably have to change the settings for injectors since your will most likely be different.

If you use a boosted tune file and plan to only run 7psi the that is fine. You will just not be using the upper portion of the fuel and timing maps and that is fine. Just tune the areas where your engine goes and then leave the rest of the map super conservative.

Resident Electromotive Expert importsdontlikeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to go with Electromotive I can help. A little more money up front but everyone who has purchased a TEC system from me is very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC2Sick View Post
    Somehow I missed this until now

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn I just bought the ms2 3.0, 2 days ago. Electricomotive is kinda pricey even thow I heard good things about them. What do they have available in option's. Cuz I was almost tempted to by ms3pro. Witch is about the same price. Y I'm asking now cuz when I done with this first build I'm going big. Forged sleeves forged internals. With a t3 for a drag car only. I my play with it on the streets a little I have no emotions where I live and the cops dont care if we mod cars out here. But back to the subject from ms2 pro or electromotive . What do u think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have run both and I believe Electromotive is wat easier to tune with and they have really accurate ignition timing which is what keeps motors together. I have a huge write up stickied in the performance section you can check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I'll check it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast