Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnetic Drain Plug Recommendations?

Has anyone found a magnetic oil drain plug that both effectively traps metal fragments and doesn't leak?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found one called “Gold Plug”, which looks promising. Made in Montana. And no it isn’t gold colored. Just inox.

They use aluminum crush washers which should work more reliably than the leak prone rubber gasket sold by the chain auto parts stores.

I ordered one for each of my Sc2s. After I have a chance to inspect and test fit them I will post my impressions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received my Gold Plugs. They arrived in a box with my regular mail just a few days after ordering. No confirmation mail or tracking number was sent until after I requested one. So I think it's a very small operation run by some dedicated people.

First impression is that these are phenomenally well made. Serious attention to detail and quality. The magnet is strong enough to hold a 2.5 pound weight for about 1 second. It held a claw head hammer up without difficulty. After some light abuse, the magnet showed zero signs of detaching. See photos.

Gold_Plug-01.jpg
    Gold_Plug-02.jpg
    Gold_Plug-03.jpg
    Gold_Plug-04.jpg
    Gold_Plug-05.jpg
    Gold_Plug-06.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When installing it, the magnet is so strong that it is actually easier with two hands. It wants to grab on to the oil pan. So use one hand to guide it into the hole, and the other to turn it.

One nice benefit of the magnetic tip, is that you can just stick it to the subframe while draining the oil. That way you don't have to look around for it when you go to put it back in.

I don't know yet whether it successfully sealed that wackadoo drain hole on my SC2. Gotta wait to see if a leak develops.