User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.2(L61) injector questions...

My first question on 6S!

Anyway, what I知 going for is to maybe update to some better injectors... what I have currently is the stock ones for the 03-04 L61, which are two hole and I知 not sure at all what size... ideally I壇 like to find a set of 12 hole(for more precise spray pattern), at a similar to stock size (+/-5%) so my stock PCM can run them... I知 not planning boost, as my sedan is my daily and I learned my lesson about having a boosted daily, through two popped LSJ engines...

What I have now, airflow wise, is a ported IM and TB and a 3 non corrugated intake tube, stock airbox (3.5 airbox lid outlet almost ready to go), and from what I read the stock injectors can support full bolt ons up until installing an LE5 IM, when it then leans out at high engine speed, so I知 guessing I知 close-ish to maxing my injectors...

From what I understand the better spray pattern of the 12 hole injectors will help with fuel efficiency by allowing better fuel distribution within the air charge, making a more complete burn...

Or should I just stick with the 堵ood enough OEM parts?
    2004 ION-2 sedan, L61/F23(M86), 140k and counting...
    Too many mods to list in sig, I don稚 believe in 都tock...

6S Resident Hasselhoff. alexofnazareth's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not helping fuel economy with an intake with that large of diameter. You're better off going with a 2.25" or 2.5" intake.
    Last edited by alexofnazareth; 12-20-2018 at 09:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. Livewire View Post
    if you hate seeing money going down the drane

than do not turbo your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sixthsphere: Home of newbs, cunts, and Shane Jackson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only reason I settled on a 3” tube is because it helped the last L61 I ran it on, by around 2.5%, but that was an 07 Malibu and it had stock intake manifold... after doing the intake and the ported manifold I noticed a loss in torque below 1300 RPM, but through the range I normally run at it’s largely normal... running a 5% oversized tire there is still plenty of power as long as it doesn’t drop below 1000...

The plan is to neck the 3.5” airbox outlet down to the 3” tube, and down into the ported 2.75” TB... it likely isn’t gonna help part throttle efficiency but I try and avoid part throttle anyway...

I read on a Cobalt forum that L61 injectors are 24# and high impedance, can anyone confirm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds about right on the iniector size.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a search and found these, same size as stock but 12 hole instead of 2, would require at least a connector adapter, maybe also fuel rail spacers... I also have yet to find them in a set of four...

https://www.amazon.com/Racing-Holes-.../dp/B07B6C65QX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm just working in a different world these days with decapping injectors to increase their flow while still having an effective spray pattern. Couldn't imagine going to a more restrictive cap design. How much gain are you expecting to see by switching cap designs?
    Jonathan
    Just a guy with a thing for tubeframes and motorswaps...
    Saturns, I have them, too many of them actually

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theoretically, there shouldn't be much be any gain. The majority of the fuel is sprayed at the back of the valve just before the valve is opened...so the fuel puddles on the back of the valve tulip anyway.
    You are better off running the engine hotter so that there is more heat to help converter that puddled fuel into vapor.

But theory and practice are can be very different, so I'm interested to see how this goes.
    Last edited by S.Bretz; 12-23-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a guy on EcoModder that did a similar swap on his Dodge Magnum (just getting more holes) and I think he got like 5%, but I don’t know if I’ll get that much or not... Basically it could help some in closed loop, but my car spends lots of time in open loop due to driving style...