Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Timing chain guide question

I'm in the middle of replacing the timing set in my 99 SL2. It has 20 missing teeth on one sprocket and somehow ran fine. But the issue I'm having is when I tighten down the bolt for the guide in the tensioner side the guide seems to bind up and not want to move. Is there supposed to be a friction washer behind it or something? There wasn't one there when I took it apart but there also was alot of broken parts as well.

Sent from my 5041C using Tapatalk

6S Resident Hasselhoff. alexofnazareth's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post up a picture of the messed up sprocket so we can see the level of fail.

The pivot guide has a unique bolt with a raised shank that is thicker than the threaded portion of the bolt. Make sure you are using the right bolt. Also make sure you are bolting the pivot guide into the threaded hole on the head, not in the block where the SOHC bolts to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. Livewire View Post
    if you hate seeing money going down the drane

than do not turbo your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sixthsphere: Home of newbs, cunts, and Shane Jackson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexofnazareth View Post

The pivot guide has a unique bolt with a raised shank that is thicker than the threaded portion of the bolt. Make sure you are using the right bolt. Also make sure you are bolting the pivot guide into the threaded hole on the head, not in the block where the SOHC bolts to.
    All 4 of the guide bolts have a wide shoulder and appear to be the same. I do indeed have it in the head bolt hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics of Carnage. I've been driving it 70 miles a day like this for about 4 months

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just .....WOW bro. You should probably change your oil more often.

There is not "middle" bolt on the tensioner guide. There is only one bolt that allows the guide to pivot as the tensioner pushes out. As mentioned the tensioner guide bold has a shank/shoulder that allows the bolt to bottom out on the block and not put tension on the guide.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Bretz View Post
    Just .....WOW bro. You should probably change your oil more often.

There is not "middle" bolt on the tensioner guide. There is only one bolt that allows the guide to pivot as the tensioner pushes out. As mentioned the tensioner guide bold has a shank/shoulder that allows the bolt to bottom out on the block and not put tension on the guide.
    I change it as needed. I have only owned the car for 6-7 months.

I know there is only one bolt, never mentioned a middle one. But all 4 of my guide bolts look identical with a shoulder on all of them.

6S Resident Hasselhoff. alexofnazareth's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right, 3rd gens have the same bolts for all the guides. Can you make a video of this issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. Livewire View Post
    if you hate seeing money going down the drane

than do not turbo your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sixthsphere: Home of newbs, cunts, and Shane Jackson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right, 3rd gens have the same bolts for all the guides. Can you make a video of this issue?
    Nope. I triple checked it, put grease on the bolts shoulder and closed it back up. Just finished it a 1am now to get 4 hrs of sleep and drive it to work in the morning. Runs smooth and quite now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update. Car still running great at 280k miles. I'm gonna try to get 500k out of this one