Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All 2G Dash frames the same?

Hey guys.. have a 93 wagon that I am going to do the full conversion to the 2G dash which I know is a PITA. No biggie there, my question is I have a donor car in a 97, is the dash frame in the 97 the same as it would have been in a 95?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite. The 95 dash is alone in its design. It is due to the bulkhead being slightly different between the 95 and 96-99. Just as an FYI, you will need to cut and weld the brackets for the dash and steering column mounts. You will also need to fab up parking brake handle brackets and cable supports. You will need to get creative with duct work if you still want hvac, none of the duct work lines up. Finally, make sure to get a dash harness and schematics as several connectors are different. May I ask why you want to swap in a gen 2 dash? For me, the headache was not worth the result. If I could do it over, I'd find a gen 1 and snag the dash from that.
    Last edited by leadfootny; 12-31-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also expect gauge issues, while swapping a third gen dash into a 95 is as simple as switching the clip nuts between their holes and the former alignment dowel holes, taking even a 95 dash into a 93 isn’t. Seann ran into all sorts of issues putting my old dash in his 93. The one that finally was the deal breaker was trying to get the cluster to work. If you are planning to replace all the gauges with aftermarket ones then it isn’t a big deal.
    Jonathan
    Just a guy with a thing for tubeframes and motorswaps...
    Saturns, I have them, too many of them actually

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, totally forgot about the cluster. Although that was probably the easiest part of the swap. Different racing website has schematics for both gen clusters. However, your tach will not work properly without a converter and if you don't use a 95 cluster, your temp gauge will read about 1/4 of the correct value. The signals for both items are different between 91-94 and 95-98.

Oh and seatbelts! Gotta get rid of the mousetrap style and get standard ones out of a 95. 95 is the only year you can get front belts from. Make sure to get the female end too as the clip size changed for the 95 year.
    Last edited by leadfootny; 01-03-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up. I was planning to take every harness, trim panels for belt swap, computer, and anything else that might be different. I actually have a 95 donor that I can use that is a complete running car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started this swap myself, almost exactly what you are doing. I have a 93SW2 and I was going to swap in a 95 complete dash. I had the complete dash and cluster, e-brake, center console, etc.. the whole 9 and all in amazing condition (thanks Jon). I ran into several issues, some were unexpected, others were known. Firstly, the BIG issue that stopped me was the framework under the dash, is different. The frame support is completely different height and size and the 95 dash wouldn't physically fit in place, it winds up like 6 inches from where it should be. I figured since the car was still the same body/frame that the 95 dash would physically at least, bolt into place or at least sit in the proper position and then mod the bolt locations. I was wrong, the bolt locations are not even close and that support must be very different in the 95. With them side by side, you will be able to see it, I only had the '95 parts. The other issues are minor in comparison. The gauge cluster reads at 1/3 of where it should read on the RPM ( I don't know how the speedo reads as I never got far enough to drive the vehicle with the other cluster in). I have the pinouts for both the 93 and 95 cluster and it was easy to swap them into the corresponding points on the 95 harness plug but the RPM is off, revs to 1/3 of where it actually is (confirmed by the SAFCII). The e-brake mounts are completely different and will need to be ground out and studs re-welded to fit, assuming you plan to run the corresponding center console. IF you are gutted, then you could just leave the 93 e-brake setup. The two are vastly different, 93 the handle is centered, 95 is off to the side.

The framework under the dash is what stopped me on this swap. I could have handled the other small stuff but the dash physically will not sit where it is supposed to and I was not going to start cutting and welding, didn't want it that bad.

Good luck, I hope you get it done and if I can help in anyway, just ask.
    1993 SW2 - Slow and Low

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one bolt/stud, behind the radio/vents that will line up with the 2nd gen dash. I used that as a reference point to mount the dash. The two upper mounts need to be cut and welded. The lower two bolts can be redrilled, as well as the two top center bolts. I did not alter any mount point on the vehicle itself. All changes were made to the dash so I could revert back if I wanted. Check out my build thread as I took some pics of the dash as I modified it.