User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Member from beautiful MN

Hey guys!

I'm not entirely new to Saturns as several family members and my wife own various models but I have recently purchased MY first Saturn. It's a 1993 SW1 that has about 70,000 miles and I say about because the odometer is not working (new gears are on the way to remedy this issue). Anyways, I bought the car from the second owner who kept the car under a cover in the winter in the garage and only drove it in the summer. So needless to say this thing is pretty clean. It has a few issues that I'm sure I can resolve with the help of the fine people on this forum.

A little about me:

I'm located in Minnesota and I'm a biomedical equipment technician for a certain unnamed but famous clinic in Minnesota. I'm into playing guitar and modifying anything and everything to do with guitars (amps, pedals, guitar wiring), mountain biking, and spending time with my awesome family.

My car history is in this order: 1991 Dodge Dakota 5.2 V8 2WD, 1999 Dodge Intrepid Base model, 2006 Chrysler Sebring Base model, 2015 Volkswagen Golf SEL, and now the 1993 Saturn SW1!

I have owned the Golf for just about a year, and while it is an insanely nice car, I just put too many miles on in a year to justify keeping a car that is that nice and that expensive to maintain. This prompted me to look for a vehicle that is less expensive to maintain, is extremely reliable, is either a wagon or hatchback, and something I can purchase cash and not have to take out a loan for.

Enter my beautiful wagon!

I found the car for sale in a local listing and immediately new that it was exactly what I was looking for. I'm super excited to start cleaning up the little issues with it and making it mine.

I'm also excited to be a part of this forum as I've been a member to forums in the past (dakota-durango forum and the LH forum) and they have always been the best resource of knowledge and inspiration for me.

Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy intro! I'll attach a picture of my wagon as soon as I am able.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. You must be southeastern then?
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2003 BMW e46
    1998 Ford Ranger
    2002 Saturn SL1 - RHD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC2Sick View Post
    Welcome. You must be southeastern then?
    Thanks!

Yep I'm in the southeastern part of the state. Is the MN Saturn community still strong? I know I've have read/heard that there was a pretty decent community of Saturn owners in MN but I don't know if it's still a big thing or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think @dynonacht is hoarding enough of them still to make up for those of us who don't have them anymore. I sold my turbo stuff to him and my forged car/engine to a guy out by WI/IL border.
    Last edited by SC2Sick; 02-14-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2003 BMW e46
    1998 Ford Ranger
    2002 Saturn SL1 - RHD

5. Likes theruns liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wadup! I'm in the south twin cities. Wife and I have 5 turds. Lmk if you need help with anything or want to kick it.
    2001 red Sc2m R.I.P.
    1998 gold Sc2m (Goldylocks) Ms2 turbo construction
    1995 white Sc1.5m N/A (Becky) R.I.P.
    1999 navy blue Outback 2.5m (un named) DD

7. Likes theruns liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynonacht View Post
    Wadup! I'm in the south twin cities. Wife and I have 5 turds. Lmk if you need help with anything or want to kick it.
    Thanks Man! I'll definitely hit you up if I need info or help! I'm just down Highway 52 from you (Zumbrota).

My wife and I each have one now. Hers is an L200 that she's had forever. It's been a great car for us and we are happy to have another Saturn in the family

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zumbrota isn't too far from me. I live in Eagan, do most of my wrenching in Vermillion at a friend's place. I'm going to be parting out a 1996 sw2 soon. Are you interested in adding a rear sway bar to you wagon for handling gains? Haha I'm a terrible salesman.
    2001 red Sc2m R.I.P.
    1998 gold Sc2m (Goldylocks) Ms2 turbo construction
    1995 white Sc1.5m N/A (Becky) R.I.P.
    1999 navy blue Outback 2.5m (un named) DD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynonacht View Post
    Zumbrota isn't too far from me. I live in Eagan, do most of my wrenching in Vermillion at a friend's place. I'm going to be parting out a 1996 sw2 soon. Are you interested in adding a rear sway bar to you wagon for handling gains? Haha I'm a terrible salesman.
    HMMMM I'm tempted...Would it work on a 93? I am still figuring out what pieces are compatible between the generations on these cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The suspension is the same across all years. Though there are some difference between the single cams and twin cams. The twin cams had rear sway bars and a bigger front sway bar. The single cams has a wussy front sway bar and no rear sway bar. In some cases though the wussy front sway bar was better at letting the front end turn in at more aggressive rates as the suspension compressed.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Bretz View Post
    The suspension is the same across all years. Though there are some difference between the single cams and twin cams. The twin cams had rear sway bars and a bigger front sway bar. The single cams has a wussy front sway bar and no rear sway bar. In some cases though the wussy front sway bar was better at letting the front end turn in at more aggressive rates as the suspension compressed.
    Cool thanks for that bit of information!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the Twin Ports area up north! Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should plan another spring meet this year. There's at least a dozen of us still around the area
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2003 BMW e46
    1998 Ford Ranger
    2002 Saturn SL1 - RHD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be down for that. I'm in Wisconsin, about an hour and a half from the twin cities.

17. Likes SC2Sick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC2Sick View Post
    We should plan another spring meet this year. There's at least a dozen of us still around the area
    That would be really cool! I'd be in for sure!