Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which MS or stand alone system to use

I am by no means new to Saturn internals but I am completely new to stand alone and tuning. I was wondering which system would give me the best bang for my buck and not overly complex on learning how to tune.....

To give a little insight on what I'm working with. Basically stock internals with 1.00mm over bore. .030" shaved from head and .030 shaved from block decking. Currently stock injectors and billet light weight flywheel. Factory header from 1st gen. Head and bottom end is from 96'. Reman crank and reman rods. Engine harness has been stripped except for the essentials for running: TPS, IAC, A/F, CKP, Knock, Temp, MAP, ignition and fuel injectors. Fuel pump is on switch as well as the cooling fan.

I run dirt track oval on 1/2 mile, 4/10 mile and 3/8 mile tracks. I can for the most part keep up with my Honda counterparts until their v-tec kicks in. I am just trying to level the field a lil bit more. As far as rules, its supposed to be stock everything, however most tracks don't just random inspect. I cannot touch cams, as they do inspect those occasionally. I have ran twin intake cams and really didn't notice any gains so right now I'm back to factory intake/exhaust. Currently I am one tooth advanced on the cams (factory sprockets) to assist low end torque for the shorter tracks.... any info would be appreciated thanks

Resident Electromotive Expert importsdontlikeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sell Electromotive and I have a write up stickied in here.

Read my write up and hit me up with a PM.

Hands down everyone loves Electromotive that has given it a try.

I've been using Electromotive products for over a decade now and I really love them.

Because of how accurately Electromotive controls ignition timing you can safely run more ignition advance which means more power.

If you purchase a unit from me I will will include a base tune so all the guess work is taken out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not new to soldering wires, but how aggravating is it to wire in? Also any special sensor shield wires needed? I am also aware that i would most likely need a wideband A/F sensor. Does the system give a part number? And lastly are there any educational materials on learning how to tune?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as wiring it's very straightforward. All of the factory Saturn sensors are compatible except for the crank trigger. The Electromotive units use 60-2 triggers so that's a huge part in where the ignition accuracy comes from.

It comes with its own wire harness which includes the shielded wires for the crank trigger and coils.

I have had good luck with the AEM wideband.

I can send you some basic tuning video tips but the tune that I send you should get you pretty close.

Electromotive also has a great guide on how to do everything. Wiring/tuning ect. I believe that's posted in my thread.

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also depending on where you are located of you can get the car to me I do installs and tuning at my place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by importsdontlikeme View Post
    Also depending on where you are located of you can get the car to me I do installs and tuning at my place.

issue with the crank trigger is that won't fall under "stock appearing" rule. The tech guys will know it doesn't belong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh yeah that would be an issue. You may be better of in that case to just trick the MAP sensor or IAT sensor so you run more timing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by importsdontlikeme View Post
    Ahh yeah that would be an issue. You may be better of in that case to just trick the MAP sensor or IAT sensor so you run more timing.

What would you suggest. and what about MS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By suggest I mean how do you go about fooling the map sensor and the IAT

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try a SAFC it basically modifies the factory signals to tricking the ECU so it pulls a little fuel and adds more timing. That is also sticked here in the performance section.

A lot of guys on here have had endless issues with MS. Hopefully the guys who have had good luck will chime in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure I think I read it somewhere but doesn't the factory ECM somewhat ignore most sensor readings at WOT? And on a another note I are already run the automatic ECM. With the tire configuration and 3rd gear that I run it still shuts off at about 7200 rpm. Is that some sort of fuel cut feature even embedded in the automatic ECM?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsquirt is a fairly small module, coupled with using a 1G ignition module to clean up signal from the stock sensor may be the best chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hinsonracing View Post
    I am not sure I think I read it somewhere but doesn't the factory ECM somewhat ignore most sensor readings at WOT? And on a another note I are already run the automatic ECM. With the tire configuration and 3rd gear that I run it still shuts off at about 7200 rpm. Is that some sort of fuel cut feature even embedded in the automatic ECM?
    After a certain MPH the PCM will kick in a rev limiter around 7200. When I had the auto PCM I could tack 1st gear out to past the 8k marking on the gauge and second gear was up there too but 3rd gear would be limited.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have helped someone install a MS3X on a 3.57 board with some mods (he runs 4 egt's and methanol). It was a large learning curve for him but he can't be happier with it. We also have wheel speed sensors hooked up front and rear so he can choose to activate a traction control feature on it later if he wants.

He runs no knock sensor but if its tuned well it doesn't need it. But you can add one if you like. There are add-ons for that option.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.