Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle SL2 Owner, Joining the Ranks.

Hello everybody, new guy here. 32 years old, posting from the Evergreen State, in the Seattle Suburbs.

Pretty new to Saturn ownership. I cut a teal '94 SL2 out from the patch of brambles that had grown around and through it, and bought it for 200 bucks in an "oh crap, I need a car and I don't have any money" moment, after sending my previous ride to the place that Hondas go when they get murdered. I put that sucker through the side of a Mack Truck's bumper when he pulled out in front of me on a 45mph road in the rain. The thick gauge steel sliced like a blade halfway through the engine compartment. I got a gnarly scar on my forehead from the rearview's corner, some wonderful hospital bills, and a ticket for "Driving too fast for the conditions," even though I wasn't speeding. Maybe I should have had my lights on, in a silver car in those visibility conditions. Either way, I needed a car fast and remembered that an old family friend had previously offered to sell me a "sitting"/not currently needed Saturn.. eh, a few years prior for... slightly more than I was able to negotiate now that it had become immersed in the landscape. It was still sitting right in that same place, as the wilderness had grown around it (and through the engine compartment. )

2 hours of excavation, about 8 hours cleaning the exterior and literally destroying an ecosystem of insects, moss, algae, and fungi, and another 8 hours spent cleaning the interior out, nook and cranny, I had a car that looked way better than the 200 dollar, what-am-I-even-getting-myself-into mess that my friend wasn't sure I would even be interested in. Aside from Gas and a new serpentine belt (and a ridiculously long time spent getting it's resurrection jump), it didn't need much, and the time spent cleaning the car inside and out, nook and cranny, was useful for assembling a list of the random inevitable broken interior plastics, missing fasteners, and other pieces that should probably be replaced by someone as anal retentive as me. To the junkyard. (I wondered if I would come across my Honda's corpse. Alas, I did not).

But in addition to the handful of randolm crap I was after, I also found myself set with the tools and time necessary to completely disassemble an identical car that had recently been added to the yard and was yet pristine. It was during this process of taking this other, poor unloved Saturn (sent to the yard over a measly broken head gasket, mind you), that I realized the sheer genius of the space frame, Z body, became enamored with the simplicity of the LK0 engine, understanding of the Suspension and steering systems, respectful of the K Frame design, maybe a little annoyed with s few details, pressed bearings, bent steering knuckle, alternator and starter accessibility, The damn air intake routing across the top of the Radiator, etc. When I put the small gathering of items that IU had collected during my trip into my own car, and was able to reassess my own car with a better understanding (and a Haynes Manual that I found in the boot of that car seredipitiously, and bought for a single American Dollar), I realized that I loved my Saturn. Like, the kind of love that could easily become an obsession.

So, I think I'm going to let it.

I like working on cars, and modifying cars. I've never been a souper upper type, usually just luxury mods. Bells and whistles. I've done a few things to my Saturn already, and the damn list of things that I WANT to do has been growing faster than I've had the time or the funds to check them off. You'll all be hearing about and seeing my various modifications over time. I've done a number of the "common" mods for this car, and I've done a few things that are... one off, which I look forward to sharing here as well. I hope that everyone will enjoy the things that I'll have to share.

I am a noob. I'm sure I'll have some dumbass questions to ask with obvious answers, break from well established traditions, commit egregious faux pas and outright heresies, and just generally be a boob sometimes, but I am potty trained and have acquainted myself with the forum rules, features, etiquette, and expectations regarding my conduct here. I hope to be an asset to the community, once I am no longer a toddler.

One thing that might draw some ire, which I would argue is a matter of personal philosophy, is that I may be prone to thread necromancy. I believe that it is often better to revive than to rehash. It is part of the stated philosophy and mission statement of this board to be a compendium of knowledge regarding the various Saturn platforms. If I have something to add to a discussion, I will add it, regardless of whether the discussion is active, or the book had last been opened 7 years ago. If it was relevant enough for me to find through the search engine today, it is indeed still relevant. That said, I don't intend to clutter the board with undead threads where I have merely posted "Kewl!" or "I found this helpful! A-hyutt." But if I come across an unanswered question that I can answer, or put effort towards a partial answer to be logged for the ages, for another schmuck like me to find in another decade, only for him to post "Thanks, this helped!" and re-revive it, I will do it. Not to be an ass, but to add to the encyclopedic knowledge base that has been built here, and continues to be built. Obviously, I'm not going to set out to do this intentionally, but I have noticed in some time lurking here that the accusations of necromancy are often quick (and, mind you, not helpful to the discussions being exhumed) when the "offense" is committed. I am an archivist, not a warlock, but I just want everyone to be warned. It is not my intention to rock the boat, and I intend to be a respectful and helpful poster.

Finally, I want to thank the Operators. This place is very well put together, and seems very well run. The culture that has been fostered here seems distinctive, esteemed, knowledgeable, focused, and committed, Moderation seems tactically accomplished, and the forum's overall design and architecture seems meticulously crafted. There's quite a few places to get lost, and a TON of very, very useful information here. Thank you, everyone involved in making this Forum what it is. I won't let you down, and I hope to titillate you, and maybe even inspire some of you with my build as it slowly comes together.

That friend that sold me the car for 200 dollars will soon hardly recognize it. He is certainly impressed with how far it has come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    94_Saturn_SL2.jpg

I really should have taken some photos before this point. I've never been good about remembering to take my camera out during milestone events. I would love share a photo of the Saturn, immersed in an ocean of brambles, or pictures of the interior and exterior when I first pulled up to the car wash for my first of two literal day shifts spent cleaning the sucker. These are the earliest pictures that I have, after having already cleaned the car and made some repairs, which I took to send to that Friend that sold me the car after my first Junkyard excursion. A sort of "You saw the before, but can you believe the transformation?" picture.

My tendency to not take pictures might really annoy some people at some point. It is inevitable that I will have some images to post, saying "Look what I did!" and somebody out there will be frustrated that I can't provide pictures of the process. Let me just say in advance... My bad, dawg.

Anyways, not a bad looking car, huh? not for 200 bucks anyways It already looks pretty different (but I don't have any pictures yet! derp.)

6S Resident Hasselhoff. alexofnazareth's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got the old girl running.

We'll do our best to help guide you. It also helps us if your questions and responses are specific and....succinct. Welcome to the sphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. Livewire View Post
    if you hate seeing money going down the drane

than do not turbo your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sixthsphere: Home of newbs, cunts, and Shane Jackson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from everything being kinda schlocky and a lot of stuff needing replaced, eventually, it really didn't take much to get it running. From what I've seen of this forum, I have no doubt that there is plenty of help to be found here with whatever problems I might need help with. I don' have any specific questions at this time, and I'm usually pretty good at finding information, or figuring things out for myself anyways. But a community of enthusiasts that are more knowledgeable than me will surely be a useful recourse. I'll try not to be a gnat with pesky questions that are best answered with "UTFSE."

It is perfectly conceivable that I might use the wrong terminology at some point, not know what a thing is called, be dumbfounded by an acronym that I should probably already know, or just generally not have a clue what I'm doing with my life, or whatever. But yeah, I know how to internet and I know how to turn a wrench.
    I color, but I do not drive, inside the lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome. Bewst it.
    72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
    95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just keep it stock and functioning well. and put good tires on it so you can stop on a dime - otherwise enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!
    It's not my fault, blame the radiation.