Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honda radiator installation question

When installing a Honda rad, can I just connect the tube from the filler neck to the stock coolant tank by T-ing it into the throttle body coolant return line? Or do I need a separate puke tank?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can tee it in but if the cap on the rad is lower than the cap on the surge tank you will get some coolant leaking from top of the cap. So you want a tight cap that won't open at all. If you can weld it shut that is your best bet.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be sailing the forged motor in next month, and I'll likely cut the neck off the Honda rad, and have a plate welded over the hole while the engine is out and I'm doing other things.

For now, I'm thinking about taking the cap out of the rad, and putting a rubber expansion freeze plug in the neck (below the expansion hole). Thoughts?

EDIT: Rubber expansion plug seems to be working so far. Let it idle up to temp, took it for a quick jaunt around the block, no leaks noted. I'll keep the Honda cap in the glove compartment for now, just in case.
    Last edited by ExHempKnight; 04-12-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And expansion plug that will fit may work. I'm not sure how much pressure they will hold but it is worth a shot. You can try to put some anaerobic sealer on it and see if that will give it a little extra holding power. Though it may also make the plug slippery and cause it to pop out unit it cures up. Your call.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're made to replace freeze plugs, so my thought is that it'll handle the pressure. Instructions said to put it in dry, no lube or sealant. Seems to be holding so far... Drove it to the local Cars & Coffee, did a few highway pulls, some stop-and-go (in what counts as traffic here, anyway).

Only thing is that I have yet to get the temp high enough for the fan to kick on. I let it idle for a good 20 mins, temp never got over halfway on the gauge. We'll see when the weather gets warmer.