Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question S Series Junkyard Alternator Upgrade?

I'm in a '94 SL2.

I know that a lot of old GM vehicles use very similar mounting brackets, pulleys and connectors in their Alternators. Is there a good GM vehicle that I should be keeping an eye out for to swipe the Alternator from, which I could then just bolt right up to my engine and increase my output amperage?

Ideally, without modification, I would like to find an Alternator that puts out 220 or 200 Amps, though 170 Amps should work. 140 will work for me right now, but I figure I should give myself some growing room, because I am addicted to electronics and aftermarket equipment. The more powerful the better.

Anybody know of a good Junkyard Alternator Upgrade that's plug and play and will help me get the Amperage that I need?
    I color, but I do not drive, inside the lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saturn used its own generator case/cage. You will not find one from another make that will bolt up.

You can get aftermarket generators that have a higher out put that are made for the saturn.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I custom mounted an alternator from a Tahoe it lines up but I had to trim the bolt holes on the alternator it self to line up with the belt. The stock plug conector their is a plastic tap in side of it so people won't put it in backwards. I trimmed that down and used my stock connector to run the signals to the pcm. It works great I did build a bracket for the back size of the alternator to add extra support so when I hit higher rpms the alternator won't wobble. The best way with up grading is find the aftermarket one like s.brets says. Other wize it's a custom job. It took me a half a day to do everything that's including installing and testing it.

4. Likes Handle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a difference between the connectors through the years...so if Satty98 was able to make the connector work with some trimming it may not even be a possibility on a 94.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont thinks so. I think the obd 1 has a totally different connector. I got lucky with Mine. I was going to wire in the original conector that I came with the alternator. But looking at the 2 it was the same. I think the port slots are different. When I get a chance today I'll get underneath my car and take pics for u. So u can get a good idea what I did. Honestly unless you dont mind fabricating and getting dirty. U might have a chance to do this. But get the plug that comes with the junkyard alternator and do some research on the plugs wiring format.

7. Likes Handle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I did look at a Tahoe Alternator this weekend. It does look very similar, but yeah, the connector must be different on my Saturn. I didn't grab it, because I was on a bit of a budget and was actually there for some Dodge Dakota parts.

Satty98, I do appreciate you coming in and sharing your experience here. This is basically exactly what I was asking about. You da MVP. I would love to see whatever pictures you can get.
    I color, but I do not drive, inside the lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible Fix ?

I got tired of repeated alternator failures on my old '92 SL2. I believe that early generation rear window defogger (no timer to shut off) was partially responsible for accelerating these failures by putting too much load on the electrical system. Anyway, after some searching around I added this Heavy Duty External 210 amp rated Bridge Rectifier System in parallel to the internal rectifier. This was also a fix for GM pickups too.

here is a link to Alternator Man's fix: https://store.alternatorparts.com/qf...rectifier.aspx

It takes the load off the basic 70 amp rectifier in the base Saturn (GM) alternator because you end up with a total of 3 rectifiers (1 inside original alternator and 2 outside in the die cast air-cooled box set-up with a fan). Some skill to tap into the alternator wires from the outside is needed. You solder the 3 leads to the alternator and add shrink wrap.

I never had a failure after installation of the fix. But I can't say that this system gives you anywhere near 210 "reliable" amps capability.