User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Train Horns on an SC2

Hi all,

I recently obtained a 2002 SC2 with 81k on the clock. My previous car was a Saturn SL. On that car, I had a modest onboard air system and a small sound setup.
    For my new car, I've decided to take it up a notch.

I decided that I could fit a five gallon air tank in the back, along with two air compressors.
    I started by making a shopping list and heading to work. Once there, I was able to pickup everything I needed.
    Sadly, I don't have images of this portion.

Once home for the weekend, I got to work building the air tank.
    Once the tank was done, I needed to make some sort of relay holder.
    A small block of wood works fine.

relays.jpg

Once the relays were wired up and mounted, the compressors had to go in. This was the tricky part as I wanted it to appear symmetrical on both sides.
    Each compressor went on the corner of the mounting board for the air tank. Was everything was in position, I simply used self tapping screws (1") to secure everything to the floor.
    I have a ground strap coming off my relay harness going over to the frame, as well as a ground from the additional battery to the frame as well.
    I tried to get everything under the carpet but it isn't super easy.

20190421_133109_HDR.jpg

When the seats are up, you can't really tell anything is back there.
    It's not very loud when the compressors are running, and fills up lightning fast.
    I am adding a quick coupler onto the tank so I can attach my coil hose and use my blowgun to get all the crap out of the car.

seats up-min.jpg

I ran into a small problem with the horns as it looks like the previous owner had tried to fix the windshield reservoir pump by cutting out the inside wheel well splashguard.
    It wasn't mounted to it's normal position anymore, and I had to reattach the rivet to get it into place. Before this, it was rubbing against the tire whenever I would turn left.

Overall, it came out pretty well. I still need to decide where I am going to mount this toggle switch. I can switch between my stock horn and my train horn. I spliced into the horn wire so I could operate my air valve with the steering wheel.
    I need to clean it up a bit more and get everything else hidden. For now I am taking a break. I would've had it done yesterday but the shop took awhile getting my windows tinted.
    I'll get some more images up as soon as I can.

terminals.jpg

Resident Electromotive Expert importsdontlikeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it!! I had air horns on my wagon years ago and it was a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks!

I just got back from a trip to Daytona for Jeepbeach. It was great!
    I plan on getting a fuse/relay hub for all the wiring so I can keep it clean.
    I also just need to get my amp installed as I have my sub behind the tank/compressor. She fits perfectly.
    sub.jpg
    Last edited by Somesand; 04-28-2019 at 06:05 PM.