User Tag List

Thread: Speeduino ECU

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speeduino ECU

It's been a while since I've been on this forum, looks pretty dead around the tuning section!

I've been utilizing this forum since I first auto to manual swapped my SL2 like 6 years ago and have had other projects since.. But now.... It's time for the turbo saturn to actually happen. In doing so the first step was to get the car a solid engine management system while N/A. I figured I'd mention it here for others out there looking to modify their saturn.

It's called Speeduino. An open source standalone engine management system similar to megasquirt. You can get the kits and even assembled ecus with all the extras (case, iat sensor, clt sensor, internal map sensor, etc..) for well under $200. You can look into them, but basically it is an Arduino Mega based ecu so the processor can be had for cheap, and it uses Tunerstudio and megalogviewer, so many who have used megasquirt will be familiar with it. I will say it is still a work in progress, some features are rudimentary but there is a very helpful community on the speeduino forums. They release new firmware every month with more and more features.

I just got my stock sl2 with flex fuel sensor and lightweight flywheel running on it a few weeks ago and got it pretty dialed in! My clutch (and stock injectors) can't handle the e60 that's in the tank...
    Last edited by tchida14; 06-10-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will not see much power on ethanol on an NA engine...about 3% is typical. I have a feeling your stock clutch may be on its way out.

The speediuno.... I wondered how long it would take people to turn on into tuning ecu. I have heard of them being used for things like boost control and ego. Keep up up to date on how it goes.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Bretz View Post
    You will not see much power on ethanol on an NA engine...about 3% is typical. I have a feeling your stock clutch may be on its way out.

The speediuno.... I wondered how long it would take people to turn on into tuning ecu. I have heard of them being used for things like boost control and ego. Keep up up to date on how it goes.
    Well it is a 2nd gen clutch with 3rd gen hydraulics and about 35k miles since swap. It's slipped under heavy acceleration since shortly after install and especially when hot. I'll be swapping the 2nd gen hydraulics i have in a box soon and a 6 puck. Maybe i'll start a project thread to document it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I had looked at it because I thought it would be a cheap way to get an engine running on a stand for testing purposes. It was like 3 years ago probably I was following it. Is it pretty robust at this point?
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2002 Saturn SL1 - RHD
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC2Sick View Post
    Interesting. I had looked at it because I thought it would be a cheap way to get an engine running on a stand for testing purposes. It was like 3 years ago probably I was following it. Is it pretty robust at this point?
    Yes, it is pretty solid. Only complaints I have is the code doesn't sample the tps enough, so the accel enrichment is limited to a minimum TPSdot threshold of about 45%/s even if you put in a lower number which is not ideal. Only negative from this is I will get a very minor lean spike when getting back on the throttle from decel or other slight throttle changes from a nearly closed position. IAC control of the stock GM IAC isn't quite right I don't think, but I have it working well enough with my settings. Most are mentioning the same things, so I'm sure that will be improved at some point. I got it pretty well figured out though, mainly just working on getting the car to start as fast as possible. Everything else has been working great! Would definitely recommend for the price and features available.
    Last edited by tchida14; 06-11-2019 at 01:11 PM.